Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to hook a dreamcast up to HDTV  (Read 5172 times)

muell67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
How to hook a dreamcast up to HDTV
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:26:56 pm »
I have a sharp d62u 52" that I want to hook my dreamcast up to. The sharp doesnt have a vga conector only hdmi component, composite & s-video. Id like to hook it to component but a adapter was never made. Does anyone know if I can take a dreamcast vga adapter than use a vga to component adapter to my tv?
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

RenegadeX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2022, 04:36:16 pm
Re: How to hook a dreamcast up to HDTV
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:49:36 pm »
Why not just use the composite output from the DC?

Better yet, hook it up to an older TV -- it'll look better, anyway, since the DC probably doesn't do anything close to your LCD TV's native res.

muell67

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:44:45 am »
I want to get progressive scan 480p. composite & s-video wont do that. I have had my dreamcast hooked to my pc monitor and it looks amazing. I cant go back to a regular tv picture. I would keep playing on the pc monitor but Id much rather play on the bigscreen. If youve never hooked a dreamcast to a hi rez sreen your missing out.
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:01:28 am »
Why not just use the composite output from the DC?

Better yet, hook it up to an older TV -- it'll look better, anyway, since the DC probably doesn't do anything close to your LCD TV's native res.

You've obviously never hooked a Dreamcast up via VGA.  It looks really good, even on an HDTV.  I'm not sure if the component adapter would work, but it does indeed look really nice via VGA on my TV.

It might be worth it to pick up an adapter and just give it a shot if you can find one cheap enough.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »
I bought one of those Magic VGA Boxes for my cab, as I have a lot of consoles which might work with VGA (exception the DC and the Xbox), but I would have to fiddle about with the Xecuter Chip  :blah:

So I was looking on Ebay the other day and I saw a similar box that allowed for component.

Would this be helpful to you?

http://www.merconnet.com/product_info.php?products_id=499
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

NickG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:50 pm »
I bought one of those Magic VGA Boxes for my cab, as I have a lot of consoles which might work with VGA (exception the DC and the Xbox), but I would have to fiddle about with the Xecuter Chip  :blah:

So I was looking on Ebay the other day and I saw a similar box that allowed for component.

Would this be helpful to you?

http://www.merconnet.com/product_info.php?products_id=499

That will not help the Dreamcast to his display, it converts the signal from Component to RGBHV.  He needs to convert it the other way: VGA to Component; or VGA to HDMI.
The converter to HDMI may be cheaper elsewhere...

ace3093

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2012, 03:29:12 am
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:58:33 pm »
I have my dreamcast hooked up to my LCD HD tv with VGA adaptor and it looks great. All I have to say is that dreamcast still looks amazing after all these years.  :applaud:

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:31:09 pm »
wow, can you believe the Dreamcast is almost 10 years old? I hadn't thought about it until you just said that.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:27:13 pm »
dreamcast with VGA adapter does look great.  your best option, ditch that little TV and get yourself a projector.  100"+ at native 720p (1080p capable) for under $1000..you can't beat it. I just upgraded from an Infocus X1 (800x600) to a Mitsubishi HC1500 (1280x720) and the picture quality is amazing. and the best thing is, it has composite,svideo, component, HDMI, and VGA inputs, so you can hook up just about anything you want.  even the PAL dreamcast imports display perfectly fine.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade