Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PS3 is it hacked? xbox360 or ps3?  (Read 3815 times)

Demon-Seed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
PS3 is it hacked? xbox360 or ps3?
« on: May 03, 2008, 11:14:52 am »
Hello
Well since my wife has said a new cabinet is not allowed she has permitted me :) to buy consoles etc... I can make wireless arcade sticks or compact ones...anyways my buddy is bugging me to get a ps3...he loves the online play and says its free.......however 360 is outselling ps3.....(although ps3 sales are moving up) and you can play backups. That is important to me as well, also would like to play emulators etc.....I have not heard either system being able to play emulators yet...also I do not know much about ps3 scene..anyone advise where they are at? also what system do you think? I was told at a store that the ps3 is currently only using 50% of its cpu capabilities....anyways any advice.. links etc would be much appreciated.

thx
JIM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:12:59 pm by Demon-Seed »
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: PS3 is it hacked? xbox or ps3?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:18:25 am »
If you want to play emulators, get a modded Xbox and put that in a cab...

IMHO, there's no good reason to put a 360 or a PS3 in an arcade cabinet.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:57:52 am »
You can't play emulators and homebrew on a 360 -- you can only play "backups."  Playing on live with a modded system is an iffy proposition though, and may get you banned.

The PS3 "scene" is pretty much nonexistent.  No hacks, no mods, no backups, no homebrew.  You can install linux on a PS3, but it doesn't give you any nice features games-wise, just lets you dual boot between PS3 and a linux box.

I agree with Haruman, if you want to play emulators, get a modded Xbox 1.  If you want to play online with real games, get 360.  Live is FAR superior to the PS3 online system, and you can find it on sale for $30-40 for a year, and it's worth every penny.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 12:27:08 pm »
However, Playstation 3 does seem to have potential online.  For one thing, it's free.  And second, there's Playstation Home, which we'll see around the end of the year, if I'm not mistaken.  Playstation Home is as-yet unproven, and may turn out to be a flop.  But it looks like it could turn out to be really really cool.  We shall see, I suppose.  Of course, if Playstation Home turns out to be a success, expect Xbox Live to become free-of-charge as well.  God bless market forces.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:33 pm »
Hey
Thanks for the input, just to clarify, I will not be putting the console into a cabinet.. my wife doesn't want a cabinet.. but I Can get console. I was hoping that someone on here may make wireless arcade sticks for consoles.. for mame  purposes, BUT I also want to play the newer games too that a ps3 or xbox360 would have. The topic should be xbox360 not xbox.. my bad......

Not sure what this ps3 home thing is? also any chance of ps3 playing backups?? Sorry I have been out of the loop L)]

thx
Jim

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: PS3 is it hacked? xbox360 or ps3?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:04 pm »
PS Home is basically a fake sims/second life wanna be thing; I dont really get it, its kinda like how you can edit your locker room in smackdown versus raw 07; its a "feature" but its lame :)

I cant diss it too hard since its not out; but then again I dont plan on owning a PS3
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 02:01:03 pm »
The 360 and PS3 are not good for emulation or backups.  If Microsoft figures out you have a modded 360 your box will be banned from online. 

As for which system to get is your preference.  If your friends have a ps3 you might as well go that route.  I have both and I give the edge to the 360.  They both have their pros and cons but you can't beat xbox's multilayer, not even on the PC.  The PS3s multiplayer is like PS multiplayer 7 years ago, it's old and on some games it is broken.

As it has been said, if you want to mame on your tv get the original xbox.  You can get it used for cheap.  You can soft mod it so no hardware changes.

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 02:18:42 pm »
Hey
For mame etc I was thinking of a pc..with emulators. Only thing is can I get a wireless arcade stick? I do have a wii modded so I can play all consoles.. but mame... no mame yet for it....

As for xbox vs ps3 i stil dont know which one.. I like being able to play backups......
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:20:28 pm by Demon-Seed »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:32:31 pm »
Hey
For mame etc I was thinking of a pc..with emulators. Only thing is can I get a wireless arcade stick?

Yes... basically, you can hack a wireless 360 controller to arcade controls, and use the dongle that M$ sells.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 08:28:52 pm »
If copying games is your only real goal, then your choice is made for you.  You go get a 360, mod it, and then don't use Live often or prepare to be banned at some point and lose online capability.

The PS3 may very well be cracked one day and able to burn games, but it hasn't happened yet, and it doesn't appear that its happening in the near future.
first off your and idiot

ToplessZ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2018, 09:55:34 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 11:10:14 pm »
PS3 uses blueray discs, so the cost of blank blueray disks makes backups a little rediculous...Im sure not all games will need that much space to copy and you could just use a DVD but the good games will take up more space then what a 8gig DVD can hold..

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 11:23:06 pm »
PS3 uses blueray discs, so the cost of blank blueray disks makes backups a little rediculous...Im sure not all games will need that much space to copy and you could just use a DVD but the good games will take up more space then what a 8gig DVD can hold..

everyone is hoping for  "rip games on hard drive" kinda thing like the original xbox. personally I dont really care..I dont even play anymore and if its a good game then I will just buy it.

Hey
For mame etc I was thinking of a pc..with emulators. Only thing is can I get a wireless arcade stick? I do have a wii modded so I can play all consoles.. but mame... no mame yet for it....

As for xbox vs ps3 i stil dont know which one.. I like being able to play backups......

they have wireless controllers for regular xbox. logitech one is the best. id still recommend wired..dont have to deal with batteries and stuff.

modded xbox plays all cps1,cps2,neogeo full speed. mame runs good too but you have about 1000 unique games(basically all 2d games run fine).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:28:41 pm by SNAAKE »

emerica

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:29:04 am
  • Goodtimes!
    • My ongoing projects
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:50:40 am »
I own both consoles I would say they are basically the same. Xbox has a big edge with multiplayer games. PSN cannot compete (at least at this point in time) with Live. Xbox also has achievements although I hear that PS3 will have somthing similar when home is released.

The only thing that bothers me about the 360 is reliability. I am currently on my third and who knows how long this one will last. Other two suffered the dreaded RROD. :banghead: I have only had my third for a week now and seems to be ok. When the second one went it prompted me to buy a ps3. Not quite sure of the reliability yet so who knows.  :dunno

But if your freinds have a ps3 then that would probably make the choice for me.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 03:37:12 pm »
If you do get a backwards compatable PS3 there are a LOT of arcade compilations for PS2 that you could run.  (Or you could get a PS2 instead).

Off the top of my head...
Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary Arcade Collection
Atari Anthology
Midway Arcade Treasures 1, 2 and 3
SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1
Metal Slug Anthology
Taito Legends 1 and 2

Some good classic stuff in there.  I most most of the 'portable' versions of these compilations for my PlayStation portable.  But an Xbox for emulation works too. :)  Additionally, the PS2 is home of MANY arcade ports of Namco System 246 games and other stuff.  Soul Calibur for example. :)

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 08:38:17 pm »
Hey
Ah is it possible to have a ps3 wireless arcade stick? Also I thought I read that there was some doing a swap trick? Is there any websites that talk about hacking ps3 and open source stuff?

I have heard many are having problems with 360.....red rings..... that makes me nervous.  Also I am thinking that backups may not be all that important tome, as I find if I have too many games I dont play them....

as for xbox 1 and mame.. I had a modded one before and found that mame on it was terrible... took for ever for games like MK2 to load up and when then did they did not run well.  Maybe it was something I did?

thanks
JIM

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 01:22:24 am »
I have heard many are having problems with 360.....red rings..... that makes me nervous.  Also I am thinking that backups may not be all that important tome, as I find if I have too many games I dont play them....

If you get a new system you should't have a problem.  New 360s are quiet and run cooler.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:06 am »

If you get a new system you should't have a problem.  New 360s are quiet and run cooler.

The new chipset and revision that is actually meant to "fix" the problems will not be out until around July though, so you may want to wait if that is an option and you're concerned about the 360's reliability.  Who knows if it actually fixes everything, but the 'net is saying it does.  SirP is right though, newer systems are less prone to problems, but this new versions is even better in theory.
first off your and idiot

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:32:35 am »
I think I may have to get a PS3 (80 gig version) when MGS4 comes out... 

Already have an Xbox 360

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:36 pm »
damn so many different opinions out there..makes it difficult to decide

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 07:15:01 am »

There always is with consoles -- just be glad there aren't many total fanboys for one or the other here.  Then you'd be even more confused =)

I own both systems and if I had to give one up, I'd keep my 360.  I really like my PS3, love the BluRay functionality of it, and it has a number of games that I really like that I can't play on 360.  That said though, I think the 360 is just a better all around gaming system.  More games I like personally (or they're multiplatform with no advantages on the PS3) and LIVE is just awesome.  If you plan to go online at all, like I said -- Live is the way to do it. 
first off your and idiot

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:39 pm »
The new chipset and revision that is actually meant to "fix" the problems will not be out until around July though, so you may want to wait if that is an option and you're concerned about the 360's reliability.  Who knows if it actually fixes everything, but the 'net is saying it does.  SirP is right though, newer systems are less prone to problems, but this new versions is even better in theory.
The falcon chipset was for this, the 60mm one.  That was out early last fall.  From folks I know that have just ought a new elite they say it runs cool and quiet.

Soon I will have an article up on 2old2play.com comparing the two systems.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 10:35:07 pm »
I wasn't talking about Falcon, I was talking about Jasper.  That's supposed to be out July/August.
first off your and idiot

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 11:12:35 pm »
I wasn't talking about Falcon, I was talking about Jasper.  That's supposed to be out July/August.
I read his comment as the one they already released fixed the RROD problems, so you don't have to wait for the new one to get released.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 03:28:11 am »
Would a new chipset still be moddable?
This signature is intentionally left blank

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 04:13:50 am »
Would a new chipset still be moddable?

depends on which drive you get.

all benq drives manufactured before april 2008 are moddable. very new once have some kind of lock/protection(according to xboxscene). and hitachi 79 version couldnt be modded with software. you have to physically desolder the rom chip and modify it with a programmer(this is no joke..I dont even do it for people)

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 07:25:57 am »
I read his comment as the one they already released fixed the RROD problems, so you don't have to wait for the new one to get released.

Falcon did solve most of the problems, but it is not perfect, and some folks have still had issues.  It's been MUCH more reasonable then early ones though which break when you look at them wrong.  All told, a Falcon will probably work just fine for a long time.  My point was if you're going to be buying a new 360 soon, it might be worth waiting a few months just to get the latest and greatest since the OP doesn't seem to be in a big rush.
first off your and idiot