Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP Artwork Critique  (Read 3580 times)

jginiso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2009, 01:41:17 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
CP Artwork Critique
« on: May 16, 2003, 02:00:14 pm »
Here is an update to my post in the Artwork section. Im posting here because this board has more traffic :). To recap, Im building a 4 player cab and the theme is DL and Gauntlet. My original panel is CP Overlay 1. I mocked up overlay 2 and 3 because I thought the CP might be a little empty with just solid backgrounds. Another alternative is to remove the character portraits and just go with the ghost images in the background. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, especially from those who have printed ghosted images and had good results.  Thanks.

http://james10583.tripod.com/index.html

crashdmj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2003, 08:55:42 pm
  • Hulk smash!
    • Best webpage in the Universe!!
Re:CP Artwork Critique
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 02:03:52 pm »
Looks awesome, I like the ghosted one !!! ;D

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 02:49:27 pm »
Those look like 2 different fonts for the sideart and the marquee. Why not use the same one?  Overall I say it looks good - though the marquee looks a little washed out compared to the overlay and sideart.  
Keep the opaque main characters - you need something other than transparent background chars.  And keep in mind depending on who/what prints it you may not even see much of the transparent chars.  

jginiso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 03:45:47 pm »
Yeah the fonts are different, I didnt have the side art when I made the marquee. They should probably be the same. Im not sure how dark to make the marquee, I dont want it to wash out when lit but I also dont want it to be too dark to see when its not.

How can I avoid a printing problem if I use the overlay with the ghosted characters?

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 03:54:20 pm »
nice job..... !!!
 ;D ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 04:02:04 pm »
That may be the biggest damn control panel I've ever seen... I would be afraid to find out the printing cost on it.

jginiso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 04:55:24 pm »
Its not that big...the dimension sare something like 44"x24"...or something like that...

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 04:59:36 pm »
Yeah the fonts are different, I didnt have the side art when I made the marquee. They should probably be the same. Im not sure how dark to make the marquee, I dont want it to wash out when lit but I also dont want it to be too dark to see when its not.

How can I avoid a printing problem if I use the overlay with the ghosted characters?
I would up the contrast on the marquee a bit - mess with the grey Levels.  Remember there will be a light behind it in your cab, so you want really really black blacks (so they don't turn too grey with light shining through).

There might not be a printing problem with the backgrounds - it's hit or miss as I've learned.  It looks okay on the screen, but when they get it printed it might just blend in *too* much, if you know what I mean.  Maybe test it with a decent printer first? Or make it less transparent.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 01:34:18 am »
YO isn't there a section called "artwork" forum?
Shouldn't this be down there :P?
I dont wanna be forum police..just sayin ;)
As for the topic,I like the second overlay !
its nice with the transparent background...that green part with link looks really cool !

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 02:34:53 am »
I clicked the banner ad at the top of your page and went through the all the marketing rigamarole (under webmaster@aol.com of course), and man, it just never ends. I clicked through and signed up for hundreds of spam mailings and promotions, and other crap, and I never got through to the end of it. Eventually it just all fell apart in a mass of popup ads.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jginiso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 05:31:17 pm »
Waht did you do that for? ou shouldnt have to click anything to view the pics...

Thanks for the suggestions. If I can find high res or scan high res images then I'll attempt CP#2. I'll incorporate the good ideas from the other posts as well.

Thanks!