Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Started project Singarcade.  (Read 6289 times)

Singapura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
Started project Singarcade.
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:52:17 am »
A few days before I turn the big four oh and become too old  ;D  there's finally movement in my plans to bring arcade bliss to Singapore. The planning fase is over and yesterday I ordered the first of a few shipments of parts from Lizardlick. I've been most impressed by Atomsmasher's Galaga themed cab so it will be mostly a "copy" of his design. At the last minute there was a posting about different joysticks on the board so I changed my order to include 2 Sanwa sticks for fighting games and a leafswitch 4/8 switchable stick for old style shmups, Pacman and the like.

A few questions remain:

Should I get a 2,5" or go for the 3" trackball? I don't want a "pimple" on my controlpanel but spacewise it should be comfortable to use too.

How much T-molding should I order? I might want to order a bit more because plans for a second (mini) cab are already underway.

I've decided to go with an LCD screen instead of a tv, mainly because I have one laying around anyway and I want the cab to be as light as possible.

No pictures yet for at least 2 weeks because I'll be off to The Philippines to visit relatives first!

Any advice, comments, contributions and good jokes are appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:57:21 am by Singapura »
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
Re: Started project Singarcade.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
<Updates will go here>

Yesterday I got a call from my wife telling me a packet had arrived. By the tone in her voice I knew it must be the parts I ordered from Lizardlick  :laugh:. Chad has been the friendliest and fastest guy I have worked with so far  :cheers:. The jury is still out for the definitive design. I wanted to make Atomsmasher's Galaga themed cab but after seeing Knievel's slim Evolution design I think it would fit much better in my not-so-big Singaporean apartment.  Easier to sell that to the wife too  8)

Anyway, that Happ 3" trackball is enormous! Sunday I'll have a meeting with the guy who owns the woodworkshop where the real work will be done so I hope to have the final design decided by then.

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
Two rolls of 20' t-molding was perfect for my cab which is based on Saint's book, "Project Arcade" - this covers both the cab and the control panel.  I did not use t-molding for underneath the control panel or for the vertical 6" or so behind the back of the control panel where it goes up against the cab.

I have a 20" LCD for an old PC but when I ran some simple games on it (Galaga, Pac Man) the refresh rate was obviously not good enough.  The animation ran poorly and no amount of tinkering with MAME would fix it.  I think the refresh rate is 8ms, maybe 10ms - I went with a monitor to avoid this issue, but I hear from various posts that 5ms or faster in an LCD will work.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:00:30 pm »
Hmmm, I like the green! I do have Saints book which is a great guide.  Your website will be a great help too. I'm not doing all the work by myself so I need as much documentation as possible to explain the guys here what I want and how I want it.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:42:07 am »
Today is Chinese New Year. A day off so I finally have time to look over the drawings and convert everything to the metric system. There are three designs I like; Atomsmasher's Galaga themed cab, Knievel's Evolution, Blah247 Knievel clone and the orginal Project Arcade but the ultimate design will have features of all three. For instance, I don't like the clunky base of the P.A., I think the angle of the monitor of the Evolution is to steep, the CP of the clone is to high and the Galaga cab is too deep. I hope my own drawing will make sense when the thing is finally built  ::)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:55:37 am by Singapura »

Singapura

• Offline Offline
Re: Started project Singarcade (need advice on some details)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:56:23 am »
Time passes by as RealLife tm keeps interfering. All ingredients for the Singarcade (rename pending) are finally in though. The decisions I've made before the building starts:

- The cab will be based on Knievels Woody but with rounder corners.
- The theme is Galaga, the cab is black with light blue t-molding.
- I will use MDF, even though it's a bit more sensitive to humidity. The New Zealand variety is supposed to be the best quality.
- The LCD screen is an HP 19"-er that comes with the HP AMD 3800+ CPU I'm using.
- I will use a repro Galaga bezel (resized to fit).
- The CP has 3 joysticks and a 3" Happ trackball. It's based on the generic PA design but with ergonomically place buttons.   
  There's enough room to add a spinner if needed.

Still to decide:

- Should I paint the cab or laminate it?
- Should I use side art?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:00:31 am by Singapura »