Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Radio mode is a lazy bugger...  (Read 3473 times)

Cadder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2008, 09:58:10 am
Radio mode is a lazy bugger...
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:10:01 am »
An observation, if I may (and a thinly-veiled "Why is it so?" question)

I'm running DWJ with a library of around 5000 mp3s.
When in radio mode, I'm getting a mix of songs that I have selected to play previously, and random songs. This is as expected and desired.
However.
When DWJ selects a random song to play, it only seems to select from the first couple of hundred songs. That is, I very rarely hear a random song from an artist whose name begins with a letter higher than D.
Why? Is there a way to tell DWJ to pick random songs from all the available ones?
Not really a problem, but I'm getting a bit sick of hearing my missus' ABBA songs. I'd like to hear a randomly selected ZZtop track sometimes!
Cad nominatim, CAD per professio, cad per vis.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Radio mode is a lazy bugger...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:37:59 am »
This is a known bug, or really more of a design flaw.  The random song picker will select songs that are higher up on the popularity list in general.  However, if you have over 5000 songs, the popularity list will have little meaning until there are at least 5000 plays on the jukebox, and in all likelyhood many more, since most songs will have 0 plays until then.  Of course, the secondary sort is alphabetical, so the songs higher in the alphabet get played.

Ths is fixed for the next version; in that version the playcount of the song a quarter of the way down the popularity list is checked, and if it hasn't had at least two plays it ignores popularity. Until that is released, set RandomSongPopularityPreference = 0 in jukebox.ini.  Ths will get you a true random spread in radio mode.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Cadder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2008, 09:58:10 am
Re: Radio mode is a lazy bugger...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:36:30 am »
That makes sense. Ta!
Cad nominatim, CAD per professio, cad per vis.