Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neighborhood problem turns violent  (Read 26634 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Neighborhood problem turns violent
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:46:53 pm »
Well I've had an interesting evening. As some of you know, I've had a problem in my neighborhood with an irresponsible dog owner the last few months. Anyways, it took a nasty turn this evening - of which I had no part.

I called my wife as I always do when I left work. After I get her on the phone and say hi, she shushes me and says there is something going on outside. It was like 70 here today, so she had all the windows open. Anyways, in the background, I hear a bunch of yelling The wife says something about "there being a crowd and the nurse lady is screaming at the lady who owns the dogs". She doesn't say anything for a minute, and then I hear an obvious gunshot over the phone, and the wife says "oh my god!" I start freakin out and yell at her to get her ass downstairs. People were screaming and I could hear it all.

Anyways, after she got downstairs she explained she didn't see everything, but that she saw a big dude she didn't know walk up to the big pit bull and shoot him in the head right in the middle of the road in front of the owner lady, her kids, and all the neighbors young kids. I figured the dog had attacked a kid and the man was defending the kid. When I got home, I talked to the neighbor across the street to see what all happened. From what he knew, a girl from around the neighborhood was walking her dog, and the pair of pitbull chased and harrassed her and her dog, and apparently the big dog attacked her dog. Then the girls mom came down. The neighbor wasn't sure, but from what the heard from the girls mom, it also might have bit the girl. Also, it apparently wasn't the first time it happened either. The mom was screaming at the owner lady that she had photos of where the dog had bit her daughter on a previous occasion. The shooter was apparently the girls father, and he decided to take matters into his own hands from frustration. When he pulled out the gun, the owner lady begged him not to do it in front of her kids (WTF were her kids still doing outside while she was getting screamed at, I have no clue). Then a shitload of cops showed up, and there were still about 6 police cruisers still in the area when I got home about 20 minutes after the incident.

The dude was taken into custody, probably on charges of brandishing (due to the kids and the crowd), and probably animal cruelty if I had to guess. I can totally understand the guys frustration, but the fact that noone was in immediate harms way when he came down and shot the dog, he will get in trouble. Eh, he'll probably sue the dog owner, and this definitely isn't the last of it. The main owner wasn't home when it happened and I doubt he'll just forget about the guy shooting his dog right in front of his family.I am just glad that noone was severely injured. I also feel kind of bad for the dog too. Still, it was his owners fault he was put in that position.

Anyways, I don't expect the dog family to stick around the neighborhood for much longer after this. I already knew they were only living there to fix and resell. If anything, I don't expect to see any more dogs in the area. This just goes to show how badly stray dogs can tear apart a neighborhood.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Neighborhood problem turns violent
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:50:08 pm »
 :o  :o

tommy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:32 pm »
You must live in a bad area, with some bad people who own some bad dogs, now I see how you can be so stupid as to think all dogs are bad, especially pits. Wisen up.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
I guess we're ruling out it was Tommy's dog this time?  Oh wait, you said the main owner wasn't around yet.  This could get good!

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:57:17 pm »
 :o At times like this I'm glad I live in the safest city in the world.
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 01:05:37 am »
Did Tommy just tell Shardian to "wisen up" based on his neighbors having bad dogs and his other neighbors shooting them?  It certainly seems that way.

If the guy is sued he will be liable for the face value of the dogs, but of more concern he will VERY likely lose an action against him for intentional infliction of emotional distress for shooting the dog in front of the owner and her children, and that could mean lots of money.  He won't be able to use a self-defense/defense of others defense unless someone was in imminent danger, which apparently was not the case here.  One has to wonder why they didn't use official channels once their kid was bit.  I understand that there's no leash-law there, but surely animal control will take care of dogs once they have attacked humans.   
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

tommy

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 01:25:08 am »
Did Tommy just tell Shardian to "wisen up" based on his neighbors having bad dogs and his other neighbors shooting them?  It certainly seems that way.

Yes I did. This is how he bases his ideas on these dogs. He can try to ignore me all he likes, but it is not possible.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:28:06 am »
One has to wonder why they didn't use official channels once their kid was bit.  I understand that there's no leash-law there, but surely animal control will take care of dogs once they have attacked humans.   

Didn't Sharidan say that the dog attacked his wife at some point before and animal control did nothing?  At least he and his family are safer now.

tommy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:37:10 am »
One has to wonder why they didn't use official channels once their kid was bit.  I understand that there's no leash-law there, but surely animal control will take care of dogs once they have attacked humans.   

Didn't Sharidan say that the dog attacked his wife at some point before and animal control did nothing?  At least he and his family are safer now.

When you have a bunch of dysfunctional people acting like idiots it would stand to reason they would have a bunch of animals who are dysfunctional and cannot control them self. You want to talk about dogs not having self control, I think you have to at least have people in control of them self before the animal can know how to act.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:39:42 am by tommy »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:11:43 am »
:o At times like this I'm glad I live in the safest city in the world.

unfortunately its so safe you have no pron! high price to pay for preventing the occasional shooting  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:41:13 am »

Yeah, the dogs came after the wife and baby in our yard for no reason. She sprayed them with the hose until they hit the road.

I had called the police dept to see what I could do about it, and they wouldn't even talk to me.  Apparently, dogs have to severely injure someone before they'll do anything. Animal control grudginly came out after I got pissed with them. They have next to zero juristiction though, even to take dogs that HAVE attacked humans or other dogs.

Having tried to address the situation by "the high road", I can understand the guys frustrations. He really went about it the wrong way though.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:53:08 am »
When you have a bunch of dysfunctional people acting like idiots it would stand to reason they would have a bunch of animals who are dysfunctional and cannot control them self. You want to talk about dogs not having self control, I think you have to at least have people in control of them self before the animal can know how to act.

Just this once I'll humor you. I TOTALLY hold the dog's owner responsible for the whole affair. That dog would never had been in that situation if his owners gave a damn. I feel sorry for the dog, especially since he wasn't even doing anything when he got shot. Yes, owners are responsible for destroying the pit bull breedlines.

It was inevitable that something would eventually happen in the neighborhood dealing with these dogs. The owner was aware his dogs had aggressive tendencies. He was also lectured by an animal control officer and issued a warning. There is a public record of his dogs being lose and being a public nuisance.

Honestly, I think the dog owner should be charged with any injuries the dog did to the other dog and/or the girl. I do know that if you "sick" your dog on someone, you can be charged with assault with deadly weapon. That was part of a case I uncovered during my research a while back.
I doubt that conclusion can be drawn with loose dogs, but we'll let our legal expert ponder that. At the least the owner could be guilty of negligence I would think.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:01:15 am »
I understand that there's no leash-law there, but surely animal control will take care of dogs once they have attacked humans.   

They often will, but just as often it takes months or well over a year, all the while that dangerous animal is still around.

Where I grew up the animal will just get tossed into a pickup and driven off, then shot somewhere else.  Or if a message is intended they'll toss a poisoned steak at the dog and drive away while you're not around.  We had one dog that disappeared after a neighbor threatened to kill him... that dog was a behaviour problem and we weren't all that surprised.

They can sue the guy for intentional infliction of emotional distress, sure, but it will get countersued for multiple actual attacks, negligence, and possibly a similar emotional distress for "allowing terrorist animals to roam the streets".  I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:17:30 am »
I understand that there's no leash-law there, but surely animal control will take care of dogs once they have attacked humans.   
They try to, but even then they don't have much authority to actually take the animal. There have been cases in which the owner has sued animal control for tresspassing and for stealing their dog. As I was told, if the dogs are on the owners property, their hands are tied. Cops would have to have a warrant to enter the premesis to allow animal control to pick up the dog.

In most cases, the owner realizes there is a problem and cooperates, but not all the time.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:06 am »

Yes I did. This is how he bases his ideas on these dogs. He can try to ignore me all he likes, but it is not possible.

C'mon, tommy, you don't really believe that everything Shardian thinks about pitbulls are based solely on these problem dogs, do you ?

Do you actually read what people post or do you just roll the dice and choose between "Giants rock!", "Pitbulls Are Great", "Glass Is Cool" and "____ Is An Idiot" when you post ?

Use your head for something other than a shelf for that Giants helmet, will you ?
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

C'mon, tommy, you don't really believe that everything Shardian thinks about pitbulls are based solely on these problem dogs, do you ?

Heh, I can pretty much guarantee you that I know more about pitbulls than Tommy does. Of course, I don't know why I'm touting that. Not like it would take much.

AcidArmitage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 02:19:05 am
  • keeeyaaaii
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 11:17:05 am »
pitbulls are vicious and unpredictable.

but its just a dog and it was biting and attacking ---Cleveland steamer---...   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:00:47 pm by NIVO »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:42 am »

Jim always seems to know the best way to kill something, hurt someone, cheat someone, steal something...  :dizzy:

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:23 am »
The animal just does what it does. It doesn't deserve to suffer just because its programming makes it dangerous. It belongs in a cage just like any other animal that can kill. NO LESSON is taught to the dog through your actions. Make the owners suffer for being asses.

(What is the f'n fascination for some people with owning pitbulls? Is it an ego thing? I don't care that they can be "nice" and "gentle", blah blah blah if there's a risk of danger. And they seem to be popular with the stupid and poor. WHY?!)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:58:58 pm by NIVO »
NO MORE!!

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 12:07:02 pm »
The animal just does what it does. It doesn't deserve to suffer just because its programming makes it dangerous. It belongs in a cage just like any other animal that can kill. NO LESSON is taught to the dog through your actions. Make the owners suffer for being asses.

(What is the f'n fascination for some people with owning pitbulls? Is it an ego thing? I don't care that they can be "nice" and "gentle", blah blah blah if there's a risk of danger. And they seem to be popular with the stupid and poor. WHY?!)

[/quote]

My problem was only maybe 25% related to pitbulls in general. It doesn't matter what type of dog you have, YOU DON"T ---smurfing--- LET IT RUN AROUND LOOSE IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!

That is the main problem. If you can't keep your animal put up, and also walk it regularly on a leash, just don't have a dog. It just so happens that alot of Pit Bull owners are also lazy asses. Well over half of the people in my neighborhood have dogs. Guess what, you never see ANY of them out unchecked.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:59:47 pm by NIVO »

Jouster

• <replace with your own witty comment>
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2023, 10:55:01 pm
  • Flap, Flap...Crash
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 12:56:32 pm »

Jim always seems to know the best way to kill something, hurt someone, cheat someone, steal something...  :dizzy:

Yes...he is the master for a reason.

Jouster
There are 10 types of people out there...those that understand binary, and those that don't.

tommy

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »

(What is the f'n fascination for some people with owning pitbulls?

Nothing is more fascinating about pits then any other dog to a dog lover. Why are you trying to make a distinction? Pit owners like their dogs as much as lab owners do.  The only reason you ask this is because there are so many people feeding into their bad rep and I'm always here defending it.

On the other hand, pits are the dog of choice to thugs and people who you wouldn't want owning a poodle let alone a bigger dog. People who like to see blood and death would have to pick a big dog with big teeth to do this. When a bad demographic gets it's hands on something. as it did pit bulls. it just gets associated in a negative way along with the group who own it. These are not true dog owners or even  respectable people.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »
you guys can have your discussion just fine without methods of how to kill animals off. The thread will remain if you keep it civil.

AcidArmitage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 02:19:05 am
  • keeeyaaaii
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »
Dog deserved it, but the circumstances were pretty ridiculous.

this is respected site for gaming. Describing ways to off animals is ridiculous to even post here. Refrain from doing so in the future.

oh well... just thought it was a better idea than shooting them in front of everybody and getting sued.

that and i am kinda ridiculous  ;D

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 03:29:43 pm »
you guys can have your discussion just fine without methods of how to kill animals off. The thread will remain if you keep it civil.

Wow, I never knew PBJ cared so much. ;)

While your at it, can you modify some of Tommy's posts too so it at least looks like he has a clue? ;D

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:27 pm »
For the record, I never intended this thread to become a pitbull debate. That has already been discussed in another thread. Go back to that thread if you feel the need to run around in a circle like a retard some more.

tommy

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »
On the other hand, pits are the dog of choice to thugs and people who you wouldn't want owning a poodle let alone a bigger dog. People who like to see blood and death would have to pick a big dog with big teeth to do this. When a bad demographic gets it's hands on something. as it did pit bulls. it just gets associated in a negative way along with the group who own it. These are not true dog owners or even  respectable people.

So, if negligent owners are drawn to certain types of breeds with the propensity to be vicious, why not ban the breed?

Sure, they'll move on to the next most vicious breed, but it least it'll be (a little) safer for the rest of us.

Ban the breed? Are you kidding? Was that a joke? So because people cannot do the right thing it becomes the dogs fault just for being alive and is in a bad situation?

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 04:07:14 pm »
For the record, I never intended this thread to become a pitbull debate. That has already been discussed in another thread. Go back to that thread if you feel the need to run around in a circle like a retard some more.

Apparently that's not gonna happen...

If memory serves there have been 2 threads in the last few months dealing with pit bulls and I really don't think we need a third! 

On topic, what a ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up situation in your neighborhood, man. 

tommy

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08:51 pm »

If memory serves there have been 2 threads in the last few months dealing with pit bulls and I really don't think we need a third! 

Nobody asked you.  ;)

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »
I just talked to the wife and there was a cop there for almost two hours taking measurements/pictures and whatnot to map out the "crime scene". I get the feeling that if they take it this far, then the guy is in some deep ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 04:11:39 pm »

Nobody asked you.  ;)

that's never stopped you from posting your nonsense...

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
I just talked to the wife and there was a cop there for almost two hours taking measurements/pictures and whatnot to map out the "crime scene". I get the feeling that if they take it this far, then the guy is in some deep ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Yea I think firing a gun in the middle of the street in front of kids is kinda frowned upon.

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 04:32:47 pm »
Shardian
Glad to read you weren't involved in the violence but still very shocking to read.
Try not to let it get to you and i hope your wife is not too stressed by it all. :cheers:
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 04:37:40 pm »
I've been following your story, and can't imagine how frustrated you must have felt.  This is a tragic way for it to end, though.  Well, hopefully you're coming to the end of this now.

If this is on the local news you gotta let us know where we can go to read about this (maybe a newspaper's or news affiliate's site).

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 04:41:16 pm »
Shardian
Glad to read you weren't involved in the violence but still very shocking to read.
Try not to let it get to you and i hope your wife is not too stressed by it all. :cheers:

It is a bit unsettling to say the least. The wife is pretty tore up about, as she saw it happen. Senseless violence in real life is a whole lot different than senseless violence on tv. That is why I've never bought the "the video games made me do it" argument. But that is another story.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 04:42:18 pm »
I've been following your story, and can't imagine how frustrated you must have felt.  This is a tragic way for it to end, though.  Well, hopefully you're coming to the end of this now.

If this is on the local news you gotta let us know where we can go to read about this (maybe a newspaper's or news affiliate's site).

I haven't seen anything on the local news websites yet. If I see anything, I'll pass it along.

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 04:54:11 pm »
When I was a kid, there was a similiar situation in my neighborhood...not with the guy shooting the dog...but with dumbass neighbors who owned a couple of very mean spirited pit bulls that regularly got loose.

One early morning I was walking to start my paper route and one of them came up and started barking and looking like he was ready to attack. I had my paper cart, which is a solid iron frame with wheels....thank god I hadn't picked up my papers yet....That dog lunged at me and I swung that cart and cracked him right in the skull. The owners lived one block over, and when I came home and told my parents what happened my dad went over there and we could hear him yelling at them from the next block. We called the cops and cause no one got hurt they said they couldn't do anything. Two weeks later the dogs got out again and bit a mail man and then killed our next door neighbor's dog. They took the dogs and put them to sleep.

I just don't understand why people keep these kind of dogs...

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 04:58:49 pm »
When I was a kid, there was a similiar situation in my neighborhood...not with the guy shooting the dog...but with dumbass neighbors who owned a couple of very mean spirited pit bulls that regularly got loose.

One early morning I was walking to start my paper route and one of them came up and started barking and looking like he was ready to attack. I had my paper cart, which is a solid iron frame with wheels....thank god I hadn't picked up my papers yet....That dog lunged at me and I swung that cart and cracked him right in the skull. The owners lived one block over, and when I came home and told my parents what happened my dad went over there and we could hear him yelling at them from the next block. We called the cops and cause no one got hurt they said they couldn't do anything. Two weeks later the dogs got out again and bit a mail man and then killed our next door neighbor's dog. They took the dogs and put them to sleep.

I just don't understand why people keep these kind of dogs...

The key part "noone was hurt so they couldn't do anything" is the reason vicious dog ordinances are being implemented all over the place. I don't think it is asking too much for owners of "vicious dogs" to follow a few safety precautions. It also gives police at least some kind of juristiction when these dogs get loose.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:28 pm »
please keep us updated on what happens with your neighbor...

and

agreed, we know most everybody's stance on pitbulls from the other thread... keep that debate to those threads instead of ---smurfing--- up this thread too....

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 12:55:15 am »
Tommy, would you feel the same if people walked around with Tigers, or bears, or any other wild beast?  Why so protective just because a particular animal falls into the "dog" category?
NO MORE!!