Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: hacking a PS2/XBOX gamepad, HOW?  (Read 7081 times)

jaydog

• Trade Count: (0)
hacking a PS2/XBOX gamepad, HOW?
« on: June 26, 2002, 05:32:56 pm »
Just wondering if anyone out there have don this before.  I opened up a PS2 pad hoping that it would be as straight forward as a madcatz DC pad, unfortunately that wasn't the case.  What it is I want to do is build an arcade fighter joystick for my PS2 and XBOX. I want to connect the two gamepads to a printer switchbox that goes to the arcade controlles and have a few questions I hope you guys can help me on.

1.  Where are the solder points on the PS2 and XBOX game pads (pictures are helpfull :))

2. Are their any third party game pads that are easier to hack than the main manufacturers? (like the DC MadCatz controller)

3. Is their an easy/safe way to disable the force feedback of the gamepads?  I don't want these things jumping around in my arcade controlls, That might be a problem

Again let me take this opportunity to thank all of you in advance for helping me out, u guys ROC!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re: hacking a PS2/XBOX gamepad, HOW?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2002, 05:59:55 pm »
Short answer:  you really can't.

Long answer:  You can't because there are too many analog buttons and joysticks.  PS2 controller: every button and joystick is analog....as for the XCrap controller, I think most of the buttons (if not all of them) are analog.

You can't hack analog stuff unless you REALLY know what you are doing.  It's not like just soldering two wires for a simple digital button/joystick...

this topic has been discussed many times before...

jakobud

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2002, 10:21:41 pm »
okay dude...the previous guy is right...ps2 is 100% analog so its impossible...WHY KILL YOURSELF and loose all your hair ON HACKING SOMTHING THAT HARD :-[>>>i dont think it even works..so here is a better idea...hack a cheap $5 psx pad...they work with ps2 perfect..and get one of these for x-box...

http://levelsix.com/images/products/xbox/Xbox-PS.jpg

they works super good...very easy to use...and for the switch box..if you really have problem changing the contorls then you can hack 2 psx pads and make a printer switch box interface...TRUST ME>>>this is the easiest way....i am doing this for MAME,DREAMCAST,PS1,PS2,and just got an x-box....me no like x-box :P...
GOOD LUCK DOIN..anything you dont understand....emails are always welcome...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2002, 10:29:03 pm »
Jakobud, I think your being a bit biased.  Xcrap controller? I think not.  

Actually it's pretty doable with the xbox as I've yet to find an xbox game that doesn't give you the option of using the dpad and by-passing all of the analog controls.  Most of the games actually play pretty good in either mode too.  Also since the xbox controller doesn't have all those buttons like the ps2 does, you generally don't run into the same problems we both pointed out in the previous thread.  The two "L" buttons are the only analog buttons on the pad.  Those two buttons are analog, but i believe the pots (or whatever) that they connect to are on a seperate mini board similar to how the old snes pads were done.  But more info on that could be found at xboxhacker.net  or some of the other sites.  

Also the xbox has one feature that the ps2 lacks which makes it very tempting for hacking, namely it can run mame now!!  I'm not talking about a crappy port either, it can run 80-90% of the mame games at full speed!  You have to mod your xbox to run it though.  There's a new german company that is promising to make a mod chip that will be very easy to install and allow the box to play 3rd party games and apps.  There are already mod chips out there but i wouldn't reccomend them as they are hard to install.

Here's the link to the upcoming mod chip I mentioned.  

http://workshop.mugenn.de/konsolen/microsoft/xbox/openxbox/index.php?showpage=startenglish.dat

I hate to say it but your right on the psx2 though, it's just too difficult to hack, mostly due to the fact that the controller has way too many buttons and game authors never give you the choice of using the d-pad.  

And for the record hacking the xbox to play xbox games with arcade controls is rather pointless.  There aren't ANY arcade style games on the xbox except for maybe doa 3.  Trust me the xbox games require time to finish and you don't want to be standing in front of a panel while playing.  The mame element makes it a good hack though.  

jaydog

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2002, 11:07:19 pm »
thanx a bunch for the feedback.  that PS to XBOX adapter looks like it will solve my problem.  In response to what games I plan on useing my fighter stick for the XBOX, there are some great fighers comming to that system in the near future, such as soul caliber II, Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance, and hopefully Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (granted, all of these are comming out for the ps2, but i would rather have them  running on the most powerful hardware available, wouldn't you?)

Jaydog

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2002, 11:14:18 pm »
Oh, and another thing, how will the buttons be mapped out using the PSX/PS2 to Xbox Controller Adapter. will the shoulder buttons be used as the black and white buttons?

Oh, another question regarding the PSX controller.  Can anyone tell me the solder point for the ground, I tried useing a continuity tester but it doesn't seem to work.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2002, 12:25:57 am »
I believe for that particular adapter the l2 and r2 buttons are indeed mapped to the white and black buttons.  And your correct about the future games of the box I just wanted to warn you that they're aren't that many  right now.  It looks like that all the ground breaking titles are coming out on the xbox this winter.  Nintendo is also making some quality games in the future and it is also moddable.  You might want to consider it to.  I believe there is a psx to gamecube adapter available too.  

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2002, 10:00:33 am »
Note: an original PSX pad is not 100% compatible with the PS2.  Most PS2 games require analog support, and if it doesn't find analog on the controller, it won't let the controller work (for example SSX).  Only smart developers like Sega realize you don't need analog support for games like VF4 (thank god!)

The PS2->xbox adapter is a good idea (to save you time) but I've always herd of problems with these units in the past for other consoles.  But its worth a shot by hacking PS2 pads first and hoping you can adapt to xbox.

Sure hacking analog controls are a bit more difficult, but not impossible!  In fact in most cases you can simply ground one pin of an analog control to activate it (at full pressure).  Just crack it open and start poking around...this is what hacking is all about...not just asking others for detailed instructions with pictures.  Who knows you may learn something new and can share with others here.

The only problem I've encountered with analog controllers is the Sony Dual Shock 2.  This pad is hardest to hack in my opinion because most of the traces are imbedded in a plastic ribbon cable.  And unless you can micro-solder to the surface mount connector you are S.O.L.  Thankfully third party makers like Nyko make PS2 analog pads which are much easier to hack.

-Dave

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2002, 10:51:29 am »
Howard, regarding running Mame on the XBox...you do know that now you can run Linux on the PS2 right?  Sony is offering it.  And you get full documentation to the entire ps2 gpu.  So when you can run an entirely new os on the ps2 and run pretty much any linux program you want, I would have to argue with you a bit.  I think that the PS2 has WAY more hacking appeal.  With linux you can run whatever, even the latest version of XMame.  And you can do all of this without having to mod your PS2.  Gotta love Sony for releasing Linux for the PS2.  Killer move against Micro$oft.

As far as using a PS1 controller with the PS2 games that REQUIRE analog...are you sure that the game will not allow you to play it at all unless you use a DualShock2?

jakobud

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2002, 11:21:25 am »
Howard, regarding running Mame on the XBox...you do know that now you can run Linux on the PS2 right?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2002, 12:05:57 pm »
DAVE WROTE..
>>>The PS2->xbox adapter is a good idea (to save you time) but I've always herd of problems with these units in the past for other consoles. <<<

no people...there is no such problem unless you are trying to play silent hill 2 or games like world series baseball  on dreamcast with an arcade joystick...for other regular games that need arcade joysticks all support digital support(FROM WHAT I know)...ITS TOO DAMN EASY EVERYONE>>>just my thoughts ;)

Bob Sanders

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2002, 10:10:50 am »
warning warning the xjoybox requires you to press the analog button unplug it and plug it back in

i reccomend using some old dual impacts they have a actual switch on the front and it works on boot

ok lets think the ps2+ linux kit $400

xbox+modchip= $260 am i missing something damn sony fanboys

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2002, 06:24:29 pm »
why not buy actual PC..and run mame on that..it will be less then 260 for a decent board and cpu and ram..again my thoughts..beside the x-box mame wont happen because microsoft thinks its illegal...and the sony+linux idea is horrible.. ;D