Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Router related question...  (Read 6447 times)

hyiu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
Router related question...
« on: May 13, 2003, 04:22:57 pm »
Hi All:

I have a router related question.....

I want to build a router table before building my cab.... (well... to trim the edges.... give it a nice little touch....)

and I have a porter cable 7529 plunge router... (I think that's a very nice router...)

Instead of dishing out $200 to get a router table, I want to just buy a router table plate, get a piece of hardwood / nice plywood and route the opening... then mount the router on to the plate, then I can hang that thing upside down....
(this way... I should at least save $50+ and still have a useable router table....)

I did some research....

Rockler does have that... the table package is like $200.... and they also sell the METAL router table plate for $50... (after tax and S&H.. becomes $60+...)  
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_id=1385&objectgroup_id=432&catid=80&DID=6
that's a little expensive...

so, I'm looking for other alternatives.... (cheaper ones...)

Lee Valley does have a cheaper alternative...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=41776&category=1,43000
Their's is like $30.... but its not METAL... its something called Phenolic... I search... and it seems like its some kind of hard plastic like material.....

Does anyone knows if this is strong enough ?? (Rockler's website claims that plastic plate will sag.... and my router is big and heavy....)

ok.... then I went searching for more.....

and in MLCS... I found this clear plastic thingy....
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routacc1.html
go lower of the page and you see this "CLEAR PLASTIC PLATE" sells for like $15 or so for 3/8"....

They also have a router plate kid for $40... which is made of that 3/8 inch thick Phenolic also...

My question is.... I'm NOT a professional woodworker....
but I do like building cabs, and general wood working...
so, I WANT to buy something that will let me use easy and NOT BREAK EASILY....

Do I need to dish out the $$$ and buy the METAL plate ?? (I guess that would be the strongest !?!?...) or, will I be good enough getting the Lee valley Phenolic plate ??....
or the MLCS Phenolic plate ??... or even that clear plastic plate ??

Anyone uses any of the above ??... have any advises ?? Opinons ?? Suggestions ?? Experiences ??

Anyone has a router table setup which is easy to work with and would like to share the idea ??....

Thank you thank you for your help....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:Router related question...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 05:08:16 pm »
I have a router table that I made from a piece of corian.  I made a plate with 3/8" lexan or plexi.  If I did it again I would go with the metal plate because with my 3hp makita, the plastic sags a little giving inconsistant cuts.  What you make the table out of is not as important as the plate as long as its flat.  MDF covered on both sides and edges with formica is a good chioce.  Now that I've said all of that,  I see no need for a table in building a cab.  It'll be interesting to see you trying to feed large cab sides to the bit.  I do quite a bit of wood working, I build period furniture for fun and only use the table for moldings, drawers, smaller pieces etc.  They are selling a lot of fancy things for a router table that you won't really use.  They'll sit in the corner getting covered with sawdust.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 05:23:13 pm »
when trimming the edges of the big pieces... I don't think I'll need the table.... but for smaller pieces... I want to route the edges curve or some shape to give it a little nice touch....

I want to at least plan out so that if I do need a router table... I know what to get.... how to get... what to do... etc.

Last thing I want is have a few pieces cut... and then found out I need something extra to complete... and I have no clue how to do it.... (well.... usually... that will happens... haa haa.... life is full of surprises... but I'm trying to minimize it... hee hee...)

thanx.... I'll seriously think about the metal plate.....
it might worth that $60+.....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 05:43:35 pm »
Phenolic will work fine, many very professional router tables use it.

http://www.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=BP--
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 10:57:23 am »
A:  Phenolic will work, they do say its guaranteed not to sag but, why not buy metal when you know it will never sag.

B:  There is no such thing as a "professional router table"  pro shops use a shaper.  Although there are some very nice tables out there with heavy duty features, the router table is mainly for the hobbyist that doesn't have room or cash for a shaper.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 11:38:40 am »
I think, perhaps, he means professionally made router table, not necessarily a table that professional woodworkers use.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 01:17:51 pm »
"I think, perhaps, he means professionally made router table, not necessarily a table that professional woodworkers use. "

Ah I see what you mean.

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 02:03:57 pm »
Norm Abrams has a router table and a shaper.  ;)

I have this "Professional Router Table" that I got at Sears.  It is pretty good for most home/hobby use.

However, I did not use it at all while building my cabinet.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility