Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: best 4 way stick for wood c/p  (Read 2010 times)

bluntfingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2002, 06:04:47 am
  • Newbie but goodie
best 4 way stick for wood c/p
« on: March 17, 2002, 02:22:32 pm »
I wanna add a 4 way stick to my panel, which is 3/4" mdf +3mm lexan. which is the best one for such as pacman, donkey kong, etc, and also for use as a left-right only for galaxian etc.??
I have seen some with red balls on top and I think these look o.k, but are they easy to mount on my panel??
I use happ supers, and I also have a spare, brand new happ super still in the packet if anyone wants to trade for a 4 way.  I am in the U.K.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

tellarite

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Codito Ergo Sum
    • Tellarite's MAME Cabinet
Re: best 4 way stick for wood c/p
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 10:12:25 pm »
I have a 3/4 inch wood panel, phenolic sheet (about 1/4 inch I'd say) and formica (1 mm) on top.

I used the pacman replacement from happ: http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/506084112.htm

it is a little short, but not any shorter than the original Ms. Pacman game was, definatley usable for that type of game. Great for galaga as well I think.

Despite what the picture from happ looks like, it is the same exact joystick as the super, but a different stick and stick parts. it has a distinctive 4 way feel to it and when you go left, it only goes left, when you go right, it only goes right etc.

Here is a pic of the joystick:

If you want to see more pics go to: http://www.tellarite.net/new-cabinet.php

Tellarite

tellarite

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Codito Ergo Sum
    • Tellarite's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2002, 11:34:22 pm »
I may have been a little unclear in my last post. I stated that the panel was made out of 3/4 inch wood. It is, but it only reinforces the 1/4 inch phenolic. the joystick is in a hole in the wood touching the phenolic.

So, there is only 1/4 inch of material between the joystick. So, it may or may not work with your panel depending.

check out the pic to see what I mean (the joystick fits in the top hole there):

-Tellarite

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 01:39:28 am »
I assume that joystick he just mentioned would be great then, considering you'd have the extra length and it wouldn't be short and kin to rubbing your knuckles raw... hehe.

Jason de Ugalde

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 11:19:16 am »
I also live in the UK.

I would suggest you consider the replacement Sega joysticks available from Suzo (UK). For some bizarre reason they are not shown in Suzo's main catalogue. You will therefore need to ask to be sent a separate photocopied sheet about them.

They are the joysticks used in the Virtua arcade machines. There are several variants available. The one I bought has a chrome shaft and a red ball top. It is 2/4/8 way switchable and has a slightly longer shaft than the Happ pacman joystick. More importantly it comes with a metal bracket that enables it to be embedded about 1/2 inch into the underside of a wood panel.

IMHO they are better than the Happ pacman joysticks because they look more authentic, and are easier to mount in wood.

You might also want to consider the 4/8 way joystick that will shortly be available from Andy Warne.

bluntfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2002, 06:04:47 am
  • Newbie but goodie
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 11:59:07 am »
Thanks everybody.
I have mailed Suzo for info, and I will keep an eye on the Ultimarc site.
It looks like the Happ pacman stick would be a bit of a pain to mount on my panel. Thanks for the piccies.
Cheers.