Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lego Star Wars II - The Original Trilogy  (Read 15474 times)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Lego Star Wars II - The Original Trilogy
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:15 am »
OK, Last week I tried the Demo of "Lego Star Wars II - The Original Trilogy" Never Tried the first one, but this one is something to check out.

The basic idea of this game, is that you take the characters from the old star wars movies, turn them into legos, and make a spoof game starring them. I reccomend trying the demo while it is still available, you can find it at http://www.lucasarts.com/games/legostarwarsii/

With my experience of the demo, here is what I noticed:

A Few Advantages

+This game Can operate completely from the keyboard, which is mappable...even the opening menu is keyboard controllable. If this doesn't change for the full version, this means that you should have NO PROBLEM CONTROLLING WITH 8 WAY JOYSTICK AND BUTTONS.

+This game is two Player simultaneous.

+Play almost anybody from the game, good guys bad guys, and even make your own characters! 50+ Playable characters

+Unique abilities for different characters, such as force lightning for Palpatine, or thermal detonator for Greedo

+If you own the first Lego star wars, you can import up to 54 characters from that game to be played in lego star wars 2.

+ Ride in vechicles, use mobile artillery, and ride on animals from the star wars movies.

A Few Disadvantages

-The game is partially based on coin collecting, fun for some, Tiresome for most. Coin collection is how things are unlocked.

-Some characters really suck, fortunately you get to mostly choose who to be and when, but C3PO is about as slow, useless, and annoying as he was in the movies. On a positive side, you can shoot at him, and he will lose limbs just like in the movies.

-System Requirements are too high for many cabinets. Also, it requires the CD to be in the drive to play, so you may want to find a NO-CD patch to avoid Disc Swapping.

Review

This game is just good theme fun. It Follows A New Hope (Star Wars), The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi from beginning to end. The cut scenes may seem ackward sometimes with no dialogue, but mostly it just makes the whole thing funny and lighthearted.

One aspect of it is you cannot truly die. You can keep playing and playing, when your character is shot down, you lose some coins and keep playing. For me, this created a sense of easy going gaming that can be easily picked up with a friend who is new to the game. However, this game automatically adapts the difficulty to your abilities, and should provide a challege even for more experianced players.

The Lego versions of each character creates a cartoony version of each character. It is almost as if Star Wars crossed with a Warner Brothers Cartoon.

Not only are the characters "legoized", but the creators gave them only the ability to grunt, and lowered their IQ to 12. It makes the game pretty darn funny. When you kill an enemy, they fall to pieces, which makes this game have rating for all ages. (E-10 to be exact) Yet it is funny enough to be appreciated by anyone with a sense of humor.

You play the game with the characters that are present in various scenes of the movie, and have the ability to switch to different characters. For example, to defeat foes and jump really high, you might want to be Obi Wan, but you will need to switch to R2 to get that blast door open. There are also other specialities that each character has. Chewie rips the arms off of bad guys, Obi Wan can mess with use the force to lift objects and confuse enemies.

Another Cool Feture is the Free Play Mode, which allows you to play already completed areas with about any star wars character you want or create. Good or Evil...Or just messecd up, Playing with a Darth Vader/Chewbacca Hybrid character is just entertaining.

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 2000 or XP

Required:
100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer

CPU:
Required: Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz
Recommended: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2.4 GHz

Memory:
Required: 256 MB RAM
Recommended: 512 MB RAM

Graphics Card:
Required: 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Vertex and Pixel
Shader (VS/PS) with V1.1 Capability
Recommended: 64 MB 3D Graphics card with Vertex and Pixel
Shader (VS/PS) with V1.1 Capability

Sound Card:
Required: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible Audio Device

DVD-ROM:
Required: DVD-ROM drive (I'm not sure about this one, It might be OK with CD)

Input Device:
Required: Keyboard, mouse, joystick or gamepad
Recommended: Joystick

Installation requires 600 MB of free hard drive space. We
recommend that you have an additional 60 MB of free space
available after installing the game for save games and
Windows file caching.

Final Reccomendation

Please keep in mind, I only played the demo, but I give this game 4 out of 5 stars based on the Demo only.

Try the Demo, While you still can! It is worth at least this much.

If you like the game, buy it for your cab! Cabinet Friendly games are hard to find. The full Version will be released Sept. 12

Mamed for life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2008, 10:23:11 am
  • Gotta git me some power tools!
Re: Lego Star Wars II - The Original Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:48:55 am »
Hi,

I haven't even started building my cab yet, but have bought some parts: still using an X-Arcade 2 player with my PC.

Like Vigo says, it's very easy to set up with joystick and buttons (but you'll need 7 buttons per player).

As regards the No-CD route to set it up in your cab, I tried that with the first Star Wars Lego, and the sound keeps skipping/dropping out. I suppose this will be the same with the new version, so I'm planning on keeping 2 CD drives in the PC to run these two games when I build my cab.

The firsrt (and the second demo) are great fun, especially for kids (or when your friends are over with a few beers): great to just drop in and out of, especially the Pod Race in Freeplay in the first game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:56:50 pm »
All you do for the cd thing is make a disc image and keep it permenantly mounted on a virtual drive via daemon tools or alcohol 120%

I have it and it is very good.  Think the first game minus the horrible horrible prequel storylines. 

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 01:08:04 pm »
I have it for the PS2, and there are a couple of levels where you fight an AT-ST.  Don't get squished by its feet, you have a hard time getting out from under.

postalp123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:03:47 pm »
Is it just me or are Pricess Leah's Boobs hanging a bit lower than I remember, I guess they based the Lego model on the current day Carrie Fisher
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:17:18 pm by postalp123 »

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:13:39 am »
Man I feel like LucasArts actually had mamers in mind or something...  It's so perfect it's amazing..

Awesome and Fun game... great for quick play (Free Play) or for a long session (Story).... awesome cab-friendly controls...

a Serious A+

Not only that, but it gives your cab experience a very "Gauntlet Legends" type of appeal, as they have about 8 saves that can be loaded,  so some people can actually save and continue their games very easily...

(The controls are probably so nice because the game was initially set up for consoles... all the controls seem to reflect that type of mentality...  Either way, great for us!)

EDIT:  The game also seems to automatically edit its graphical features( and access to them) for older video cards... I'm currently running on a 1.7ghz machine with a Geforce 3 and it runs great, albeit without the fancy shaders, but still quite the looker...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:18:53 am by OrganicJerk »

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

MikeQ

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:56:54 am »
I have Lego SW I and the we got the kids Lego SW II for x-mas.  It is about all we play on the cabinet now.  I externally mounted a cd drive in the cabinet just so we could swap out the cd's for all our pc games. 

Another A+ good clean fun one is Snoopy Vs. the Red Baron from Bandi/Namco..who incidentally is in the same building as my companies Santa Clara office.    Strange coincidence.

The controls for this map perfectly to our cabinet as well.

dmel75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2009, 11:46:29 am
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »
Believe it or not, the lego star wars series for PC is what gets the most play time on my mame cabinet, BY FAR. My 6yr old son LOVES it. I tried getting him to play Lego Star Wars on the PS3 but since he'd learned how to play it on a MAME cabinet with Happ Supers and buttons he doesn't like it. We've also added Lego Indy to the MAME cab recently and it's getting a fair share of time these days.

druid318

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2010, 02:11:14 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:15:59 am »
My wife and I both loved playing this game and part 1 on the Xbox 360.  Didn't even realize it was on the pc, but i bet its awesome on the arcade machine.

They have also released Lego Indiana Jones, and Lego Batman, but I have no idea for what platforms.

I tried the demo for Indiana Jones and it didn't seem to be quite as good.  I have not tried the full game though.

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
Kind of a thread revival here.....

I have this installed on my cabinet machine and run it with a batch file through MA. Such a blast playing it with the arcade controls and my 10 year old and her friends have a blast when I load it up. I installed Star Wars, Lego Batman and Indy and they are a huge hit on the arcade cab

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »
Kind of a thread revival here.....

I have this installed on my cabinet machine and run it with a batch file through MA. Such a blast playing it with the arcade controls and my 10 year old and her friends have a blast when I load it up. I installed Star Wars, Lego Batman and Indy and they are a huge hit on the arcade cab

I'd love to have this on my cab, but I can't get it to work on my 640x480 TV monitor.  Maybe it's a refresh issue.