Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recicling buttons in MAME  (Read 1313 times)

zobook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 12:34:43 pm
Recicling buttons in MAME
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:24 am »
I'm planning the design of a CP. I thin it will be 6 "action" buttons, one "start" button and not sure about a "coin" button or a "home brew" coin door. The question is, i don't want a lot of "mame" related buttons. I thinking about just one used in combination with the others and the directions.

If i call this special button the "MAME" button, i will push MAME+Left and bring the menu(normally TAB), y press MAME+right and pause (normally P), MAME+Down is UI_Select (normally ENTER) and MAME+Up will quit (normally ESC). In this way i keep mi hand on the control and with the other y keep the MAME button pressed as needed.

Will somethin like this work well? I plan to use a really (really) cheap hacked USB gamepad.

Of course, some stranger that comes to play will be  :dizzy: but that's OK, if you wanna play, you have to pay the price  ;D

Any suggestions will be welcomed

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re: Recicling buttons in MAME
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »
Will somethin like this work well?

Yes. 
Official Mame comes with ctrlr files for HotRod, X-Arcade, and SlikStik that do something like this.  You might want to take a look at them as examples, but take note: they don't have a "mame button" so use combos of just normal keys, and I hate their UI_Cancel mapping (so I change it, see below).

My suggestions:
- Set UI_Select to p1 button1.  Easier and pretty intuitive.
- Be careful about UI_Cancel.  I'd be very reluctant to make it close to any other combo or any common key presses.  Which is why I don't like the hotrod etc UI_cancel, and one reason I'm suggesting not have UI_Select as you said; if the joystick bounced from down to up before you let go of your mame button, or you pressed right+up & mame when you want to pause, oops. :(  How about mame button + start1 + p1 up?  If not that, at least do mame + p1up + not p1left + not p1right.  (not: when mapping press twice quickly)
- I like the idea of the "mame" button, over using combos of common buttons.  The Ipac and keywiz have similar buttons to your mame called shift & shazaaam, respectively; the difference between your's and those is the shifting/shazaaaming is done inside their encoders instead of mame.\.  OTOH, others here might suggest not even having the separate mame button.  Up to you.
- Setup to your liking using mame's tab, "Input (general)", then copy cfg/default.cfg to ctrlr/yourname.cfg.  Then use the ctrlr file (what I do), or just keep it for backup.
- Don't forget the UI directions (UI_up, UI_down, etc), and maybe (depending on your layout) the dual stick directions (P1_joystickright_up, P1_joystickleft_up, etc).

Good luck!
Robin
Knowledge is Power

zobook

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 12:34:43 pm
Re: Recicling buttons in MAME
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:02:36 am »
Thanks for your suggestion

if the joystick bounced from down to up before you let go of your mame button, or you pressed right+up & mame when you want to pause, oops. :(

I think about that after i post, the "rebound" may be a problem. I liked the idea of remapping to mamebuton+buttonx because solves that problem.

Maybe the UI_Cancel (the most "dangerous") could be something like MAME+button1+button6 (thinking about a 2 rows of 3 buttons layout) so you can't press it accidentally. The other actions (pause, menu) can be safely just mame+buttonx and as you said UI_select can be just button1 (wich will be harmless in most situations).

I really like the advanced configuration of controls mame has. the posibility of using some complex like (x  AND y) OR z OR (j NOT k) is very good. i always keep a backup of the cfg when i have configured all to my taste (just in case i screw things up).

In Marcianitos page there is a very good tutorial about that (spanish only, sorry)

Thanks again