Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/27 Finished! (mostly)*  (Read 9305 times)

stealth1290

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2008, 08:09:37 am
Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/27 Finished! (mostly)*
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:18 pm »
Picked up a Dig Dug cocktail on Craigs list here It's in decent shape, minus no artwork no top glass and needing a good bath. There's a couple suspicious things inside (speaker making odd noise, in an odd place, wires on PCB cut) but none the less as of right now it works. I was happy to see structurally its in great shape, nothing a little wood putty and some sanding won't solve! Just curious as to finding resources on this particular restoration. I've searched for PCB schematics  and for the most part get mixed results. I've yet to see ANYBODY restore this cab. maybe I'm blind. Anyway, pictures will be posted when I start work (Saturday) I'm buying the things I know I need first and foremost and I'll work my way down.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:23:21 pm by stealth1290 »

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:51:54 am »
Did you see the other cabs? What was that omega all about? I'm only asking cause he mentions star wars artwork, I'm assuming it was a dedicated omega race. Did he give prices on the other cabs. I'm in the uk so it's no use for me other than the fact i am just being nosey.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:01:07 am by Barcrest »

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:42:05 pm »
He's updating me on prices, the Omega was in awesome shape. Needed a player two button and the screen needed a cap kit but the artwork was 8/10 and the condition of the cab was an 8/10. Truly a good deal!

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/6 PICTURES!*
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:23:50 pm »
Well here it is! It's not on the stand since I'm re-painting that, it needs a good cleaning...

At this point I need advice... I was trying to figure out why the speaker is humming so I took the audio board out to discover this:

Did he use a lighter to fix it? is it worth fixing or should I look for a replacement?

I notice a couple other burns etc... maybe it's not worth salvaging. Let me know your thoughts!

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »
Ok, the research is back... the burnt up bit is the board doing its job... and regulating. If electricity is still flowing then we should still be OK, I'll be ordering a rebuild kit from Bob Roberts anyway just to be safe. I also ordered a LM324 (audio amp) this is what I suspect is causing the fuzzy audio (correct me if I'm wrong) and is very prone to failure. Will update on Saturday with progress. Oh, and I could have done a "sense mod" to avoid any further problems from the R30 (burnt area) resistor but like stated earlier I can afford a new AR but a new PCB would hurt... and this one is in such good shape too!

ok, updates on Saturday!  8)

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:47 pm »
Very informative. Keep up the good work!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/8 Picture update!*
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:12:40 pm »
Thanks to everyone who stopped by the webcam chat, I wasn't on for very long since it occurred to me that it might be a bad idea to have my mac in the same room as my sanding.... smart move I think since I was pretty much covered head to tow in dust.

Ok, I did quite a bit of work today, even though it doesn't look like much

Before I start, I took the whole cabinet apart, found out the coin door wires on the edge connector to the PCB broke, and whoever repaired this just soldered the wires direct to the PCB... just another wonderful fix job in this cabinet. Oh, and you can tell I'm near the Canadian border because every time I turn around a Canadian quarter is falling out of some small crack or crevice, the pile I found in the leg paid for the replacement audio amp!

This is my work area, my main goal is to get that ugly friggen door out... and cover the hole up (I'm never going to use the coin hopper anyway, I'll be installing a freeplay ROM)

first layer over some small holes on left side of the front

I took all the bolts out and covered them, whoever repaired it screwed carage bolts in the cabinet.. no I didn't misspeak SCREWED them in, so it was a pain to get those out.

I had planned to prime and maybe even paint tonight but ran into a bind, my belt sander tucked out on me, and at 6:30 on a Saturday it's impossible to find a new one, so I hand sanded as much as I could but it's just going to slow so I've stopped for tonight. More updates tomorrow

now please excuse me while I hop onto my  :soapbox: I'm a big proponent of DIRTFT (pronounced dirt foot) DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! It irks me to see that if somebody had just spent maybe 20 more dollars and 10 more minutes it could be soooooo much better. But no, I mean why would you buy a new coin box when you can screw carriage bolts into the t-molding and front of the machine? (actually that probably took longer... and if you worked it out cost more). Same thing applies to the edge connector on the PCB, and a couple other things. Why would you do that? I understand they are an operator (not the person I bought it from but the person before him) and just care about pumping as much money out of the machine as possible, but I mean come on some of this stuff is just ridiculous. Is this really that common place for operators to just haphazardly fix games? Do they not care? is it truly just for the money?

p.s. I know there are operators on this board, I'm stereotyping and for that I apologize, I know you're not all bad. / :soapbox:

ok more updates tomorrow, hopefully paint will be done and I can start on the electrical system.

I used the wood as filler for the hole and

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/9 Picture update!*
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 04:45:50 pm »
After much frustration and a new power sander... I did the best I could with that door area, it doesn't look great but 100 times better then that ugly door that was on there. I've since applied primer Check the pictures
Here's the painter I used.... worked well, will use it for the rest of the project (just had it lying around)

Front

Left Side

Back (with door off)

Right Side

I'm done for a few hours because I have a dinner engagement. I'll probably finish the primer off tonight, but we'll have to see how it goes!

p.s. Not sure if I said this yet but I'm replacing the t-molding, just made life easier!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:57:26 pm by stealth1290 »

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/9 Picture update!*
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:32:59 pm »
Ok, I did another coat of primer, and now I'm on to black paint... here's pics after the second coat of black

Front:

Back:

Side:

It's really starting to come together, I canned that other painting kit for a good ole fashioned brush and bucket. I have maybe two (most likely 1) more coats to go before I call it finished!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:36:57 pm by stealth1290 »

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/10 Picture update!*
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 08:46:33 pm »
Bump for picture update

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/11 Picture update!*
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »
so the paint is done! Looks great to boot!
just a picture of the front... to spare the same old same old

Tonight I will be cleaning up the rusty stand and seeing what I can do about the control panels.

stealth1290

• Offline Offline
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/27 Finished (mostly)!*
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
So i finished it... for the most part... needs new CPOs that are being printed... and a touch up paint job (that waits until summer) so I'm looking for my next project! I'll post pics later of the finished project.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/27 Finished! (mostly)*
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 01:49:18 pm »
Thank you for posting all these wip pics.  Ive been torn over making a cocktail like this one or the pac man style and i cant decide which would be better for me.

Great work so far.   :applaud:
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
Re: Dig Dug cocktail restoration Update *12/27 Finished! (mostly)*
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:35 pm »
Very nice job!!!!!  After seeing all these great cocktails on here, I'm tempted to build myself one.  I should probably finish my upright first though.  I guess this is what is called "the bug"?   ;) ;D :applaud:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200