Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor - v8.2  (Read 552805 times)

fryster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2012, 07:17:11 am
Re: LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor - v5.0
« Reply #680 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:30 pm »
First up, thanks for the great software! I have a couple queries:

My setup: Windows 7 32bit, Hyperspin FE, Jamma connection to jpac, pacled64, ledblinky full version.

My problem: I've got ledblinky set up with mame, my hyperspin buttons light up and correct buttons light up when starting a game. The problem occurs when I scroll up or down a few games or skip to a specific letter. The buttons all blink white and it takes forever (if at all) for it to catch up. If I start a game with the blinking buttons they stay like this throughout the game. What do I need to do to prevent this? If I scroll up or down one game it blinks all the buttons white, ideally I'd like to prevent this as well or maybe change the colours of them. Many thanks!

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #681 on: June 06, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
First up, thanks for the great software! I have a couple queries:

My setup: Windows 7 32bit, Hyperspin FE, Jamma connection to jpac, pacled64, ledblinky full version.

My problem: I've got ledblinky set up with mame, my hyperspin buttons light up and correct buttons light up when starting a game. The problem occurs when I scroll up or down a few games or skip to a specific letter. The buttons all blink white and it takes forever (if at all) for it to catch up. If I start a game with the blinking buttons they stay like this throughout the game. What do I need to do to prevent this? If I scroll up or down one game it blinks all the buttons white, ideally I'd like to prevent this as well or maybe change the colours of them. Many thanks!

Try turning off the "Button Flash" and/or the "Demo Game Controls" options and see if that solves the problem. If you're not using either of these options or the problem persists with them off, you'll need to turn on the Debug Log and Verbose options, run HS and a few games, then email me the debug.zip file so I can look over your configuration.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

fryster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2012, 07:17:11 am
« Reply #682 on: June 09, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »
Thanks azroo, that seems to have done the trick

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:17 pm »
Quick question for you Arzoo.  Would it be possible to, on the computer going to sleep, send a command to turn off all LEDs.  Then, once awakened, to turn them back to their previous state?  My LED controller is leaving the LEDS on during sleep and, since my cab is in my basement/media area, it's kind of annoying. 

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2012, 02:13:34 pm »
Quick question for you Arzoo.  Would it be possible to, on the computer going to sleep, send a command to turn off all LEDs.  Then, once awakened, to turn them back to their previous state?  My LED controller is leaving the LEDS on during sleep and, since my cab is in my basement/media area, it's kind of annoying. 

You could try creating an animation with a single frame that has all the LEDs off. Then when the computer goes to sleep, run a batch file with the LEDBlinky command to start the "All Off" animation; ...\ledblinky.exe alloff.lwax
The animation will continue to run (actually doing nothing since it's a single frame) until the next time your front-end sends another command to LEDBlinky (start game, quit game, change emulators, etc) at which time the LEDs should light up again. Only thing you'll have to figure out is how to kick off the batch file on sleep.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #685 on: June 13, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »
Autohotkey can do that, so that should work.  I'll try it and see - I think the issue I had with it before was when I did that LedBlinky lost connection or state or something and just blanked until I rebooted/restarted the frontend.  I'll try again! 

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #686 on: June 16, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »
HEy Arzoo

Just a quick note:

Just got some time to pull down the latest v5 LEDBLinky. I'd been having problems on my cab with LEDBlinky crashing when exiting mame. I thought I might have something to do with permissions (Mame and Mala run under a very restricted login with few rights).

But, turns out, whatever it was, you've already fixed it! v5 works like a champ!

Awesome!

Now on to explore all the new bits and give it a go with ControllerRemap (no, haven't forgotten about those mods  :) )

Nephasth

« Reply #687 on: June 30, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »
Hey arzoo,

Finally got my cabinet lighting done. You mentioned earlier about possibly adding a feature that would allow game specific cabinet animations. I was wondering if it would be possible to have game specific audio animations as well? I like the audio animation now, but it would be cool if different colors could be used for different games' audio animations, something that might match the game a little better.

Another thing I was thinking, would it be possible to give a specified LED a "handicap"? To reduce an LED's brightness by x% compared to the other LEDs around it. Maybe have an option for it in the Input Map Application? The reason I'm asking, is I use 3 RGBs to light my joysticks. Two are off center and one is centered. The centered LED causes a "hot spot" in the lighting, but when the intensity on that LED is reduced by about 50%, the hot spot goes away and the color is uniform across the joystick lighting. I don't know if either of things would be possible, or easy, just some thoughts I had...

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #688 on: June 30, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »
Hey arzoo,

Finally got my cabinet lighting done. You mentioned earlier about possibly adding a feature that would allow game specific cabinet animations. I was wondering if it would be possible to have game specific audio animations as well? I like the audio animation now, but it would be cool if different colors could be used for different games' audio animations, something that might match the game a little better.

Another thing I was thinking, would it be possible to give a specified LED a "handicap"? To reduce an LED's brightness by x% compared to the other LEDs around it. Maybe have an option for it in the Input Map Application? The reason I'm asking, is I use 3 RGBs to light my joysticks. Two are off center and one is centered. The centered LED causes a "hot spot" in the lighting, but when the intensity on that LED is reduced by about 50%, the hot spot goes away and the color is uniform across the joystick lighting. I don't know if either of things would be possible, or easy, just some thoughts I had...

I've been working on some new animation features and you will be able to specify an audio animation on a game by game basis. But the handicap concept is just too obscure for me to consider - sorry.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Nephasth

« Reply #689 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »
Still, great news! :applaud:

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #690 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »
About the "handicap" idea. Really, you should be able to do that just by adjusting the strength of that one color in your animations.

Just animate based on the actual look of the LED's versus what LEDBlinky shows in it's simulator.

Alternately, you could vary the resistance to the one bright led to dim it slightly. You'll often see that in commercial products, the red and green will use one resistance, but blue with use a slightly different value, because the LED's so much brighter.

Nephasth

« Reply #691 on: July 01, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
About the "handicap" idea. Really, you should be able to do that just by adjusting the strength of that one color in your animations.

That's what gave me the idea. But the LEDs in question won't be part of any animations (and the 2 offcenter LEDs act as one with this one), they'll be lit with colors.ini. It's not a biggie, and I'm sure I'll be the only one to ever notice the hot spots anyway. I was hoping for a software solution, but if it starts to bother me, I'll implement a hardware solution.

bigbuffs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2020, 03:59:27 pm
« Reply #692 on: August 11, 2012, 10:38:09 pm »
I am having trouble getting the correct buttons to light up in some games and also only some of the Hypersoin FE controls do not light correctly. For some reason it lights all the player 2 buttons and maybe half of the rest of the controls are lit correctly. I am sure I just dont have something set right but I am not sure what that is. 

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »
I am having problems with LED Blinky, my U360 joysticks and Hyperspin.  I can't seem to get the joysticks to work in Hyperspin.  They work fine in the Ultimarc configurator.  They work fine when I go into Mame directly and they work fine if I go into Hyperspin and launch a game with the keyboard.  I just cannot get them to respond in the Hyperspin front end.  I have checked everything I can think of.  I have included the log file from Hyperspin as well as the ErrorLog I get from LEDBlinky.  I am using LEDBlinky 5.0.0.5.  I just launched Hyperspin, tried to move the wheel with my joystick, then exited.  I see the log references a startup program and a exit program.  I do not have anything set for either of these, is this normal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hyperspin Log file:
11:46:00 AM |  HyperSpin Started
11:46:00 AM |  Going windowed mode
11:46:00 AM |  LEDBlinky is set to active
11:46:00 AM |  Found LEDBlinky.exe
11:46:00 AM |  Running LEDBlinky
11:46:00 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 1
11:46:00 AM |  Checking for updates
11:46:00 AM |  Update Check Complete
11:46:00 AM |  Startup program unavailable
11:46:00 AM |  Error intializing joysticks
11:46:00 AM |  Menu Mode is single
11:46:00 AM |  Loading MAME.xml
11:46:00 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 7 "MAME"
11:46:01 AM |  themes_only is true, checking files
11:46:01 AM |  MAME.xml successfully loaded
11:46:02 AM |  MAME wheel loaded successfully
11:46:04 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 9 "dkong"
11:46:15 AM |  Exit program unavailable
11:46:15 AM |  Quiting Hyperspin
11:46:15 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 2
11:46:15 AM |  Bye!

LEDBlinky Error Log:
[08/18/2012 11:48:01] Timeout waiting for Primary Instance Handle.
[08/18/2012 11:48:01] Event Dropped [2].

Clayton
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:12:22 pm by cmoses »

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #694 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:06 pm »
I am having problems with LED Blinky, my U360 joysticks and Hyperspin.  I can't seem to get the joysticks to work in Hyperspin.  They work fine in the Ultimarc configurator.  They work fine when I go into Mame directly and they work fine if I go into Hyperspin and launch a game with the keyboard.  I just cannot get them to respond in the Hyperspin front end.  I have checked everything I can think of.  I have included the log file from Hyperspin as well as the ErrorLog I get from LEDBlinky.  I am using LEDBlinky 5.0.0.5.  I just launched Hyperspin, tried to move the wheel with my joystick, then exited.  I see the log references a startup program and a exit program.  I do not have anything set for either of these, is this normal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hyperspin Log file:
11:46:00 AM |  HyperSpin Started
11:46:00 AM |  Going windowed mode
11:46:00 AM |  LEDBlinky is set to active
11:46:00 AM |  Found LEDBlinky.exe
11:46:00 AM |  Running LEDBlinky
11:46:00 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 1
11:46:00 AM |  Checking for updates
11:46:00 AM |  Update Check Complete
11:46:00 AM |  Startup program unavailable
11:46:00 AM |  Error intializing joysticks
11:46:00 AM |  Menu Mode is single
11:46:00 AM |  Loading MAME.xml
11:46:00 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 7 "MAME"
11:46:01 AM |  themes_only is true, checking files
11:46:01 AM |  MAME.xml successfully loaded
11:46:02 AM |  MAME wheel loaded successfully
11:46:04 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 9 "dkong"
11:46:15 AM |  Exit program unavailable
11:46:15 AM |  Quiting Hyperspin
11:46:15 AM |  Command Line is: "C:\HyperSpin\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky\LEDBlinky.exe" 2
11:46:15 AM |  Bye!

LEDBlinky Error Log:
[08/18/2012 11:48:01] Timeout waiting for Primary Instance Handle.
[08/18/2012 11:48:01] Event Dropped [2].

Clayton

Clayton,
I'm not sure this is an issue with LEDBlinky. All blinky does is set the u360 maps (4-way, 8-way, analog, etc). If you're not getting any response from the joysticks you may want to post something on the HS forum or contact Ultimarc. But if the issue has something to do with the maps, here's a support link that might help; http://www.ledblinky.net/Support.htm#U360Problem.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2012, 02:20:16 pm »
Hi Arzoo,

Does LEDBLinky read the meta data from roms that relates to landscape/portrait mode?

The reason I ask is I saw a setup where a guy was using LEDBlinky to activate a button based on the ROM being launched being landscape or portrait, he then used this activated button to automatically switch the motor controller and rotate the screen.

I'm building a rotating cab right now with dual PAC64 controllers and was interested in this appraoch.
I drink and I know things.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #696 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »
Hi Arzoo,

Does LEDBLinky read the meta data from roms that relates to landscape/portrait mode?

The reason I ask is I saw a setup where a guy was using LEDBlinky to activate a button based on the ROM being launched being landscape or portrait, he then used this activated button to automatically switch the motor controller and rotate the screen.

I'm building a rotating cab right now with dual PAC64 controllers and was interested in this appraoch.

No, LEDBlinky doesn't read the landscape/portrait attribute for the ROMs. I'd suggest contacting the person directly to ask how he made it work. If you find out, post the answer back here - I'd be interested to find out how it was done.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:48:06 pm by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #697 on: August 21, 2012, 03:55:35 pm »
I left a message on his Youtube post, hopefully he will reply, here it is in action...

quote:
"Arcade Cabinet (not finished yet) with the Hyperspin Frontend and LED Blinky for the Button lighting. The automatic rotation is started by a 7th button in LED Blinky wich will only be lighted up by a vertical game. The LED of this button is attached to a twilligt switch wich determines the direction of the 12V motor."
I drink and I know things.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #698 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:34 am »
My guess is he modified the controls.ini or used the controls editor to add a unique button for each vertical game. Very cool!
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

ultrageek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 02:27:56 pm
  • If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
« Reply #699 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:56 pm »
Arzoo.... I have a really old LEDWiz. The "new" version of ledblinky was 3.5 when I got the wiz...
Anyway..Will the newest version of LEDBlinky work with my LEDWiz?

lee@theultrageek.com

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #700 on: August 23, 2012, 03:11:37 pm »
Arzoo.... I have a really old LEDWiz. The "new" version of ledblinky was 3.5 when I got the wiz...
Anyway..Will the newest version of LEDBlinky work with my LEDWiz?

lee@theultrageek.com

absolutely.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #701 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
Still, great news! :applaud:

yup... anxiously awaiting that!

ndiniz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2018, 12:18:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #702 on: August 24, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »
I know I had already asked arzoo about using Rope Lights with LED Blinky, but what I'd like to do is see if there's a way that I can control the lights so that they do effects based on events that happen during the game. Here's an example: Let's say that either a friend of mine or the computer is playing against me in Street fighter II. Let's also say that either player's health drains. I'd like to have either side of the rope light do a red strobe sequence. Is that possible? If it is, I'll be happy. If not, I'd like to have it as a feature request for the next version of LEDBlinky. I must say that LEDBlinky is already awesome as to what it can already do.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #703 on: August 25, 2012, 08:44:18 am »
I know I had already asked arzoo about using Rope Lights with LED Blinky, but what I'd like to do is see if there's a way that I can control the lights so that they do effects based on events that happen during the game. Here's an example: Let's say that either a friend of mine or the computer is playing against me in Street fighter II. Let's also say that either player's health drains. I'd like to have either side of the rope light do a red strobe sequence.

Maybe Arzoo will have more to add on this, but I'm doubting it's possible unless the game already has some outputs for such events (like an output for flashing some cabinet lights as a result of an ingame event). Lacking that, you'd actually have to monitor the execution of the rom in the emulator, looking for specific memory address changes and such, which would vary for each rom and for each version of each rom. Not terribly likely.

ndiniz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2018, 12:18:22 pm
« Reply #704 on: August 26, 2012, 03:11:19 am »
I thought so. Just thought I'd see if it was possible. I can see how hard it would be to do such a thing. It would have been a cool feature to add. Too bad you can't legally disassemble the code in each game so you can see where the game events are. But still, being able to use Rope lights, and those buttons using LEDBlinky is awesome. When I read the action packed list of features that LEDBlinky is capable of, I decided it'd be worth buying.

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #705 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
I'm stuck, I have an 8 way Joystick1 and a 4 way Joystick1, along with 2 different buttons for P1 Buttons 1-3.  Each of them have their own RGB LED wired into different ports of my PAC LED 64.  How do I set that up in my input config.  It won't let me make two RGB LED setups using the same port label Joystick1, even if I am using two different quick keys.  How do you map this in the input map config.  I can't find any double options for when you have multiple Joystick 1/P1 button setups.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:58:11 pm by Trip »

Nephasth

« Reply #706 on: August 26, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »
I'm stuck, I have an 8 way Joystick1 and a 4 way Joystick1, along with 2 different buttons for P1 Buttons 1-3.  Each of them have their own RGB LED wired into different ports of my PAC LED 64.  How do I set that up in my input config.  It won't let me make two RGB LED setups using the same port label Joystick1, even if I am using two different quick keys.  How do you map this in the input map config.  I can't find any double options for when you have multiple Joystick 1/P1 button setups.

Port label really doesn't matter, and you can name the port label anything you want. What's important is the input associated with that particular port. I have 3 RGB LEDs for each of my joysticks. They're labelled "up", "left", and "right" due to not being able to have the same port label, but all three for each joystick are assigned to "left" so all of them act as one LED for each game. To help you differentiate between the ports, you may want to name them uniquely, like 8Joystick1 and 4Joystick1 or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:17:13 pm by Nephasth »

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

Port label really doesn't matter, and you can name the port label anything you want. What's important is the input associated with that particular port. I have 3 RGB LEDs for each of my joysticks. They're labelled "up", "left", and "right" due to not being able to have the same port label, but all three for each joystick are assigned to "left" so all of them act as one LED for each game. To help you differentiate between the ports, you may want to name them uniquely, like 8Joystick1 and 4Joystick1 or something along those lines.

NVM, figured it out.  Still can't get LEDblinky to output in MAME though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:02:16 pm by Trip »

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »
Ha ha, lol, I forgot to click the little box that said turn on game control lights.  LOLz

Got it working now.  Still not sure if it's possible to turn off the 4 way 1 player buttons without going into MAME and doing a whole reconfig of 4 way games to different key codes.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:22:39 pm by Trip »

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #709 on: August 29, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »
Still not sure if it's possible to turn off the 4 way 1 player buttons without going into MAME and doing a whole reconfig of 4 way games to different key codes.

That's correct, if the buttons use the same input codes then they will always light up together. It might be possible to change the 4-way button input codes to JOY4WAY and then they will only light when the ROM's primary control is the 4-way joystick.

Nephasth - thanks for helping out here!
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #710 on: August 29, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
That's correct, if the buttons use the same input codes then they will always light up together. It might be possible to change the 4-way button input codes to JOY4WAY and then they will only light when the ROM's primary control is the 4-way joystick.

Nephasth - thanks for helping out here!

Thought about that, but that would turn on all of them instead of just the ones for the game, in the case of pac man, none of them are used.

Anyway we could get some kinda of logic in a new input code that the joy4way has to be on for player 1 button 1 - button 3 to be lit?  Have like a joy4way player 1 button 1 type deal.  Some kind of AND logic code for the input codes so both player 1 button 1 and joy4way have to be lit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:57:21 pm by Trip »

techman103us

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2013, 05:48:26 am
« Reply #711 on: August 31, 2012, 08:41:45 pm »
Anyone know where I can get LEDBlinky? their site seems to be down. I cannot find the software anywhere.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #712 on: September 02, 2012, 03:34:06 pm »
Anyone know where I can get LEDBlinky? their site seems to be down. I cannot find the software anywhere.

www.ledblinky.net
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #713 on: September 02, 2012, 03:39:14 pm »
Anyway we could get some kinda of logic in a new input code that the joy4way has to be on for player 1 button 1 - button 3 to be lit?  Have like a joy4way player 1 button 1 type deal.  Some kind of AND logic code for the input codes so both player 1 button 1 and joy4way have to be lit.

That's an interesting suggestion, but it would not be a trivial modification to the code and apps. I'll consider for a future update.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

ttamnedlog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2012, 03:13:55 pm
« Reply #714 on: September 10, 2012, 02:50:19 am »
I am having trouble getting the correct buttons to light up in some games and also only some of the Hypersoin FE controls do not light correctly. For some reason it lights all the player 2 buttons and maybe half of the rest of the controls are lit correctly. I am sure I just dont have something set right but I am not sure what that is.

I'm having issues with specific games myself, but as for HyperSpin, I might have a solution for you if you're using gamepad controllers and/or Joy2Key.

I was also having some odd lighting going on with HyperSpin - player 1 controls lit up the way I intended, but player 2 controls lit up differently despite the fact that both controls were set up to operate HyperSpin the same way. I am using Joy2Key to control HyperSpin via keyboard input (so both controllers were set up the same way under the Keyboard tab in HyperSpin controls), but the problem was that I had previously setup the Joystick tab as well before I started using Joy2Key. Under the Joystick control tab, I did *NOT* have my player 1 and player 2 controls set up the same way, and even though I had disabled the use of joystick control in HyperSpin, the way they were setup differently initially was throwing LEDBlinky off.

I hope all that made sense. To sum up, make sure your HyperSpin controls are set up how you want them in both the keyboard and joystick tabs, regardless of whether or not you actually use the keyboard or joystick.

ttamnedlog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2012, 03:13:55 pm
« Reply #715 on: September 10, 2012, 03:02:00 am »
And hey Arzoo, I just bought LEDBlinky after finally getting tired of the splash screen.  :) Plus I figured I might want to start making some more complex animations.

Anyway, I'm having some odd problems. Basically LEDBlinky works sometimes and not others. I have it set to do some pretty conventional stuff currently. Light the HyperSpin controls, run an animation when HyperSpin does its attract mode, and light the buttons used by games. I have no button flashing, no demo game controls, no speech. Just three instances where I want my buttons to be lit basically.

It always works with HyperSpin controls.
It always runs its animation when HyperSpin attracts.
But when I start a game (say, Killer Instinct for instance) sometimes it lights up and sometimes it doesn't. If my buttons light up, they will remain lit for the duration of the game. But if I exit and restart HyperSpin and load Killer Instinct a second time, it might not light up at all this time. I can't seem to reproduce it with consistency - it's random.

Similarly, I just tried setting up a non-MAME emulator for the first time. I setup NES, just with a <default> controls to light 2 buttons. The first time I tried going into HyperSpin and launching a game, it worked. The two buttons were lit. Then I exited and restarted HyperSpin and tried again, and this time the buttons did not light up.

The errors I get are always the same:

Timeout waiting for Primary Instance Handle.
Event Dropped blah blah blah.

Any ideas? Do I need to send you the debug log?

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #716 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:36 am »
And hey Arzoo, I just bought LEDBlinky after finally getting tired of the splash screen.  :) Plus I figured I might want to start making some more complex animations.

Anyway, I'm having some odd problems. Basically LEDBlinky works sometimes and not others. I have it set to do some pretty conventional stuff currently. Light the HyperSpin controls, run an animation when HyperSpin does its attract mode, and light the buttons used by games. I have no button flashing, no demo game controls, no speech. Just three instances where I want my buttons to be lit basically.

It always works with HyperSpin controls.
It always runs its animation when HyperSpin attracts.
But when I start a game (say, Killer Instinct for instance) sometimes it lights up and sometimes it doesn't. If my buttons light up, they will remain lit for the duration of the game. But if I exit and restart HyperSpin and load Killer Instinct a second time, it might not light up at all this time. I can't seem to reproduce it with consistency - it's random.

Similarly, I just tried setting up a non-MAME emulator for the first time. I setup NES, just with a <default> controls to light 2 buttons. The first time I tried going into HyperSpin and launching a game, it worked. The two buttons were lit. Then I exited and restarted HyperSpin and tried again, and this time the buttons did not light up.

The errors I get are always the same:

Timeout waiting for Primary Instance Handle.
Event Dropped blah blah blah.

Any ideas? Do I need to send you the debug log?

Depending on the size of your mame.xml (and speed or your pc), LEDBlinky can take 5 to 10 seconds to completely process all the data. This only occurs at startup, but during that time you may receive the “timeout” error. Does the problem only occur when HS and blinky first startup or does it happen randomly all the time? For example, if you run Killer Instinct and the buttons don’t light up, what happens if you exit KI and start it a second time – does it work then?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:48:11 am by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

millercentral

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 04:38:47 pm
« Reply #717 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:58 pm »
Does LEDBlinky parse/honor the CTRLR setting in a MAME ini\{game}.ini file?

I'm in the process of refreshing my 3-sided cocktail cabinet, and adding RGB controls. Because of the 3-sided nature of the cab, the nature of "P1" or "P2" or "P3" controls change based on the video orientation of the game that is running. Rather than manually remap practically every ROR or ROL game, I'm considering creating three different CTRLR files and assigning the appropriate one to games via their {game}.ini file (which I can do pretty quickly with ROMLister lists and simple batch files). This way, inputs will always have an appropriate set of defaults regardless of which side of the machine you need to sit at to play, and has other nice benefits such as UI Controls being appropriate for the side you are sitting at, etc.

I haven't started working with LEDBlinky yet (but will be soon!) but I want to use it to color the game inputs automatically. Reading through the documentation, it appears that LEDBlinky allows you to select a specific CTRLR file in the MAME Config dialog, but won't actually track what MAME will use based on INI settings. Without it, I fear my ctrlr config approach will wreck havok on LEDBlinky's ability to automatically light up my inputs.

With that in mind, can I make a feature request of LEDBlinky:

Instead of just asking for the ctrlr file in the UI, follow this logic:
- look for the %MAMEDIR%\ini\%ROM%.ini file
    - if found, look at the CTRLR parameter (%CTRLR%) and then use %MAMEDIR$%\ctrlr\%CTRLR%.cfg as the ctrlr file
    - if not found, look for %MAMEDIR%\mame.ini file and use the CTRLR parameter from that
        - if no mame.ini file, don't use any CTRLR file for LEDBlinky auto mappings

While I'm probably in the minority in how I setup my controls, I think a lot of scenarios could benefit from this (modular control panels, cocktails, etc).... thoughts?

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #718 on: September 10, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »
Does LEDBlinky parse/honor the CTRLR setting in a MAME ini\{game}.ini file?

I'm in the process of refreshing my 3-sided cocktail cabinet, and adding RGB controls. Because of the 3-sided nature of the cab, the nature of "P1" or "P2" or "P3" controls change based on the video orientation of the game that is running. Rather than manually remap practically every ROR or ROL game, I'm considering creating three different CTRLR files and assigning the appropriate one to games via their {game}.ini file (which I can do pretty quickly with ROMLister lists and simple batch files). This way, inputs will always have an appropriate set of defaults regardless of which side of the machine you need to sit at to play, and has other nice benefits such as UI Controls being appropriate for the side you are sitting at, etc.

I haven't started working with LEDBlinky yet (but will be soon!) but I want to use it to color the game inputs automatically. Reading through the documentation, it appears that LEDBlinky allows you to select a specific CTRLR file in the MAME Config dialog, but won't actually track what MAME will use based on INI settings. Without it, I fear my ctrlr config approach will wreck havok on LEDBlinky's ability to automatically light up my inputs.

With that in mind, can I make a feature request of LEDBlinky:

Instead of just asking for the ctrlr file in the UI, follow this logic:
- look for the %MAMEDIR%\ini\%ROM%.ini file
    - if found, look at the CTRLR parameter (%CTRLR%) and then use %MAMEDIR$%\ctrlr\%CTRLR%.cfg as the ctrlr file
    - if not found, look for %MAMEDIR%\mame.ini file and use the CTRLR parameter from that
        - if no mame.ini file, don't use any CTRLR file for LEDBlinky auto mappings

While I'm probably in the minority in how I setup my controls, I think a lot of scenarios could benefit from this (modular control panels, cocktails, etc).... thoughts?

LEDBlinky does not parse any files in the mame ini folder. It does parse the \cfg\<rom>.cfg files but I realize you would prefer to not create a custom cfg file for every rom.

There may be another option; I recently added a new command line parameter to load a ctrlr file. You would have to modify your FE to make the LEDBlinky call with the correct ctrlr file before it (the FE) starts the game. This might require a script file with logic to read the rom.ini and determine which ctrlr file to pass to LEDBlinky. Not a simple solution, but feasible.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:24:44 pm by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

millercentral

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 04:38:47 pm
« Reply #719 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
Seems like that could work. I'll circle back once I'm to the point of getting all my software configured...