Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scan converters anyone?  (Read 2710 times)

ReaperMan14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Playing MAME since '97
Scan converters anyone?
« on: March 17, 2002, 10:14:04 pm »
I've been reading a lot here on the boards, and have found the messages about videocard brands very educational.  It seems that the ATI's, which I hate for normal everyday use, are the clear winners in this category.  However, I've seem a few mentions here and there about scan converts.  I myself have done some research on a few scan converters, namely the TView Gold PCI for $150 and the TView Micro $100.

Here are my questions.

1.  Has anybody used the TView products and how did they perform?

2.  Has anbody used scan converters in their cabinets?  What did you use and how well did you like it?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Kanedo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2003, 11:27:17 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re: Scan converters anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 01:02:35 am »
I've used a TView Micro....

Pros:
Works with almost any resolution you send it.

Cons:
Color seems a little washed out.
No contrast controls.

Tview Gold will probably work better with it's contrast, brightness, and sharpness controls.

Personally, I like scan converters more mainly due to their ability to work with custom resolutions.

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 01:36:43 am »
RoarCade aka GadgetMan was awesome enough to give me a scan converter quite a while back.  I've just recently been able to really test it out and I'm very happy with the picture.  I'm using it in conjuction with a Samsung S-Video TV, which is a very nice television, capable of 800 lines of horiz. resolution.  The scan converter is the multipro 2000.

Here's the caveat though...  I have nothing to compare it to whatsoever.  I have never used tv-out nor scan converters before, but am very happy with the picture.  I can read 12 font text pretty easily etc... though of course it's not like a pc monitor.  One real positive about this scan converter (and most I assume) is it's plug and play.  Nothing to install at all.

mAdSmuRf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2012, 09:17:22 pm
  • Eat More Chicken!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 08:00:20 pm »
I'm using a Scan Do Pro in one of my cabinets and a Scan Do 800 in another one and have no problems at all... Great quality output on both Scan converters... Will also be getting another one soon in the future here to play with and put up some more information on my web site about it.

mS