Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FS: Now Available - Nintendo 4-way Restrictor plates  (Read 14491 times)

ArcadeAddiction

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2009, 03:01:40 pm
FS: Now Available - Nintendo 4-way Restrictor plates
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:04:36 pm »
Hi Guys, The good news is I now have more 4-way restrictors available. The bad news is I have to charge $6.00 a piece shipped this time. The reason they are a dollar more is, I had to pay for my plating this time. I hope this isn't a problem. Last time, I slipped it through with a job we had done. This batch turned out really great. I had them plated yellow just like the originals. I think they look even better in this color.  ;D  I have pm'd a few of you that sent me a order. If you haven't heard from me yet, Hang on... I still have 15 pm's to go through. It's takes a while. I just wanted to let everybody know that they are done.

Please don't send me a pm If you haven't heard from me yet. Wait till atleast Tuesday.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:38:40 pm by ArcadeAddiction »

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: FS: Nintendo 4-way Restrictor plates
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:57:13 pm »
As a machinist myself.... those look really good.  :cheers:
What did you use to cut them?  (CNC, AquaJet, Plasma cutting table??)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

mushmouth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 02:26:43 am
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:59:56 am »
I can confirm they are really really nicely cut. The Donkey Kong machine I bought recently had the 8-way restrictor on the joystick, so I tracked this guy down, and ordered these. They arrived within a few days, and I was pleasantly surprised by how perfect they're cut. I ordered a spare, glad I did.

I put one on my DK panel and my high score went by 15k my first game with the restrictor on. Right away I thought "OH YEAH.... *THAT'S* what these sticks felt like..." It made movement perfect in DK, and the only motion errors I have now are my own. I was having major problems in DK with that 8-way restrictor on the Nintendo stick, the corners were messing with me big time.

The Nintendo stick feels like a sloppy mess as an 8-way stick. I was surprised at how much I like the stick as a 4-way. Movement feels very solid... confident.

2 Thumbs up.
It ain't easy bein' Greazy.

kowal

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:35:27 am »
wow
last restrictors is octagonal?
what is internal diameter? distance on screw? (mm)
you can pass dimensions? :)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:19:08 am »
Why is this post here?  He is a single post user attempting to circumvent the minimum B/S/T forum rules.  The last 2 in the last week have been immediately killed?

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:28:48 am »
He's not attempting to circumvent anything. There was a thread where several of us were looking for these, I tracked the guy down, he came here to make himself known. He's providing something several of us are grateful for. This should be allowed.

It should also be noted these can't be found anywhere else, so weigh that accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:31:30 am by mushmouth »

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:49:30 am »
Are you the one that posted on RGVAC a couple of years ago that you made these? If so, I emailed you about them maybe a year ago but never heard anything back. I'll take a couple of them (check your email).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:53:14 am by MaximRecoil »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
He's not attempting to circumvent anything. There was a thread where several of us were looking for these, I tracked the guy down, he came here to make himself known. He's providing something several of us are grateful for. This should be allowed.

It should also be noted these can't be found anywhere else, so weigh that accordingly.

I agree 100%...that said,  two people have had their posts pulled because they were circumventing the B/S/T forum.  I understand the rule and why it's there...but I PERSONALLY think it's unnecessary...

BUT it is a rule and it's not fair to the other two folks who had their posts pulled...

But screw it...you're right...sell away...I think I just pulled a McCoy.   :laugh2:  :cheers:

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:42 am »

I agree 100%...that said,  two people have had their posts pulled because they were circumventing the B/S/T forum.  I understand the rule and why it's there...but I PERSONALLY think it's unnecessary...

BUT it is a rule and it's not fair to the other two folks who had their posts pulled...

But screw it...you're right...sell away...I think I just pulled a McCoy.   :laugh2:  :cheers:

I think that people who are reproducing long extinct arcade hardware should get special consideration. Folks like this don't come along every day.

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:31:11 am »
That was my thought as well. It's like if someone came in with repro tron sticks and we jacked their post and said "rules are rules." :)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:10:14 pm »
Strange to see Frizzle channeling mccoy ...

ArcadeAddiction -- I sent an order by email this morning (in case it gets caught in a spam filter). Nice work and kudos to kremmit, mushmouth and ArcadeAddiction for their efforts.

Now, if only I could find a Nintendo stick that wasn't broken ...  ;)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:11:59 pm »

Nah, I think you just pulled an unnecessary ---meecrob--- move as usual.  I can't believe Cheffo's on the right side today.  Weird. :dunno

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 12:24:01 pm »

Now, if only I could find a Nintendo stick that wasn't broken ...  ;)

That never gets old...

BTW, who was it that proved that you need something like a big hammer in order to "break" (i.e. bend the base) a Nintendo joystick?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:35:40 pm »
I'm going to add a caveat to the minimum post that if your only intent is to buy/sell something you can email me to ask for access right away. The minimum post is stop spammers :)  Thanks for pointing this one out, and glad to see these available!

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:46:01 pm »
Nah, I think you just pulled an unnecessary ---meecrob--- move as usual.  I can't believe Cheffo's on the right side today.  Weird. :dunno

Strange to see Frizzle channeling mccoy ...

I concur!

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 02:43:46 pm »
Glad to see these are available as well. I have had a few people msg me about 4-way plates. I have a couple of nintendo joys avail if anyone wants them with 8-way plates. - Both Sold

Neil
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:25:56 am by Neilyboy »

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:26:55 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 04:14:13 pm »
Neilyboy - sent you a PM.

ArcadeAddiction

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 06:51:52 pm »
WOW !! what a response. Sorry for posting this originally in the main forum. I wasn't trying to circumvent the rules. Had I known that Saint would let me post in here first I would have.

I think I have all of them sold but one. If you sent me a email, can you also send me a pm with your email address. A few of you are hidding your email. I don't want to leave anybody out. I will make more plates if I need to. If anybody still needs/wants them let me know. That way I can make enough.

I also might do a small run of 2-ways. I had one request for them. I think the only game that used them was Popeye. I need to find my sample of one. Can somebody send me a picture of a 2-way just incase its MIA.

If you don't hear back from me in the next day or so please let me know.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 07:32:31 pm »
WOW !! what a response. Sorry for posting this originally in the main forum. I wasn't trying to circumvent the rules. Had I known that Saint would let me post in here first I would have.

I think I have all of them sold but one. If you sent me a email, can you also send me a pm with your email address. A few of you are hidding your email. I don't want to leave anybody out. I will make more plates if I need to. If anybody still needs/wants them let me know. That way I can make enough.

I also might do a small run of 2-ways. I had one request for them. I think the only game that used them was Popeye. I need to find my sample of one. Can somebody send me a picture of a 2-way just incase its MIA.

If you don't hear back from me in the next day or so please let me know.

Popeye didn't use a 2-way (you have to be able to push up and down to go up and down the ladders). Mario Bros. used a 2-way as did Arm Wrestling, Radar Scope, Space Fever, and Space Demon/Space Firebird. I don't know if there were any others. I doubt anyone on this board has any of those games aside from Mario Bros. though.

BTW, do you accept Paypal? I sent you both an email and a PM.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 08:01:05 pm »
Popeye didn't use a 2-way (you have to be able to push up and down to go up and down the ladders). Mario Bros. used a 2-way as did Arm Wrestling, Radar Scope, Space Fever, and Space Demon/Space Firebird. I don't know if there were any others.
Defender used a two-way...,

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 08:22:27 pm »
Popeye didn't use a 2-way (you have to be able to push up and down to go up and down the ladders). Mario Bros. used a 2-way as did Arm Wrestling, Radar Scope, Space Fever, and Space Demon/Space Firebird. I don't know if there were any others.
Defender used a two-way...,

Yeah, but he's talking about 2-way Nintendo games.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:51:43 pm »

I think some of the older games on MaximRecoil's list may have used a different stick assembly anyway- I know I've seen different Nintendo 2-ways on ebay from some of those games, but they may have only been from the cocktail versions.  But Mario Bros. definitely uses a 2-way restrictor for the "standard" Nintendo stick.  Here's a scan:

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:08 pm »
I think some of the older games on MaximRecoil's list may have used a different stick assembly anyway- I know I've seen different Nintendo 2-ways on ebay from some of those games, but they may have only been from the cocktail versions.  But Mario Bros. definitely uses a 2-way restrictor for the "standard" Nintendo stick.  Here's a scan:

Out of the games I listed, I know for a fact that Arm Wrestling uses the type of restrictor being discussed here. I'm pretty sure that the upright version of Radar Scope does too. I don't know about the others.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:03:39 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 02:13:46 am »
PM sent. I am in for 2 4-ways and a 2-way.
Thanks for making these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

death69inc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2016, 05:54:33 pm
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 02:18:38 am »
I need two  2 ways for my mario bros
and maybe four 4 ways  have to check on the 4 ways

ill be in touch
Always looking for nintendo and capcom arcade pcbs and marquees etc

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 03:32:39 am »
PM Sent.  Thanks for making these!
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:09 am »
Talk about a scary coincidence..!!

Only yesterday I started pulling out some boxes of parts for my next project (DK Jr.) and the joystick has an 8-way in it.. :(

Anyway, I went out into the shed today to see if I could knock up a new 4-way restrictor out of a piece of scrap material.  After about 15 minutes I gave up and posted a request  on RGVAC for a NOS or repro.. 
One of the kind users there guided me to this thread - and to think, I am on BYOAC every damn day and missed this.   :laugh2:

Anyway.. I'll take ONE 4-way thanks..

cheers

Hoops

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 12:00:22 pm »
I'm surprised no one did this years ago. It is a very simple part to make for a machinist, and there is an obvious demand. These restrictors never really wear to a significant degree (the original ones don't anyway; I assume the reproductions won't either) but they are often missing, or the wrong type for the game you want to use the joystick with. Apparently a lot of operators would turn a 4-way Nintendo joystick into an 8-way simply by removing the restrictor and calling it good. While this does allow the stick to work as an 8-way, it makes the stick very sloppy feeling, and also allows more stick travel than the stick was designed for, which often results in broken springs, broken microswitches or bent microswitch actuators. It also mangles up the metal of the base around the hole where the restrictor is supposed to be, because the base is a thinner and milder steel than the restrictor, and wasn't intended to deal with impacts from the bottom of the shaft during usage.

I'd like to see someone reproduce the ball tops (they are threaded, right?), the short clear plastic sleeves below the ball tops, and the shafts too (preferably out of stainless steel), for cosmetic restoration purposes. The ball tops are sometimes missing, or more often, simply beat up in appearance, and the shafts are often rusted/discolored due to peeling/bubbling chrome.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:03:18 pm by MaximRecoil »

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:26:55 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 12:26:43 pm »
@ArcadeAddiction -- sent e-mail & PM.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:52 pm »
I'm surprised no one did this years ago. 
What were Oscar's restrictors?  Were they for joysticks with different dimensions than the nintendo joys?

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 12:58:03 pm »
I'm surprised no one did this years ago. 
What were Oscar's restrictors?  Were they for joysticks with different dimensions than the nintendo joys?

I don't know what you're referring to exactly, but a Nintendo joystick restrictor is a unique part that wouldn't fit any other type of joystick, neither would any other type of restrictor fit a Nintendo joystick. As far as I know, no one has ever reproduced and publicly offered them for sale before.

I have a question for  Arcade Addiction: How about making some Nintendo joystick shafts in stainless steel? Is that something you could do easily?

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 01:25:02 pm »
Kelsey, owner of Oscar Controls and a moderator here, produced and sold restrictor plates awhile ago.  Since then, he has had to closed his shop and been MIA here for a couple of years.  Saint has mirrored his site, but obviously his products are no longer being produced.

I don't know what base(s) his restrictor plates were made for though.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 01:31:03 pm »
Kelsey, owner of Oscar Controls and a moderator here, produced and sold restrictor plates awhile ago.  Since then, he has had to closed his shop and been MIA here for a couple of years.  Saint has mirrored his site, but obviously his products are no longer being produced.

I don't know what base(s) his restrictor plates were made for though.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Oscar Controls but I don't know what restrictor he made that you're referring to. If there is a picture of it anywhere it would be easy to tell if it was for a Nintendo joystick or not.

ArcadeAddiction

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 06:42:37 pm »
Ok Guys heres the deal.

I have orders for 20 more than I have made. I started working on more at work today. If you get a email from me you are getting the ones I have done right now. After I make some more I'll send you a email and post saying that more are for sale. I don't want to take anybodys money till the second run is done. I will also be going in order of emails/pm's sent. That's only fair... This might take me a week or so to make more. I'm slammed at work right now. We are working 10hr days. So these might take a little bit. But I will do them. 

I'm thinking of doing around 40 more or do you guys think I should make more than that ?

One more thing, the 2-ways are going to be awhile. I want to get the 4-ways done first.

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 09:30:03 pm »
AA, I think just based on the fact you made 15 and they sold out in one day should indicate how needed these parts really are..
Once word gets out into the wider arcade community, I think your 40 will sell out just as quickly..

Also, just in case you didn't receive my email - I am wanting one unit..  the only thing is I am located in Australia and so am wondering how much extra postage would be.

Cheers

Hoops

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 12:26:36 am »
This is awesome. I knew these were going to blow out of here like this.

I've been playing my Donkey Kong with AA's restrictor on it for a few days now and I reitterate, it's the best fix I've made to one of my machines. Gameplay is night and day. EVERYONE who played my machine with the 8-way in place hated it. Whoever said this was right, it's a sloppy mess as an 8-way. 2 of those people have now tried this restrictor on my machine aside from myself and their first response is "oh yeah..........."

:notworthy: Big thanks brutha. These didn't exist and then they show up less than a month after getting my DK machine. Timing is everything. :)

Mush

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 01:22:36 am »
:notworthy: Big thanks brutha. These didn't exist and then they show up less than a month after getting my DK machine. Timing is everything. :)

Mush

Actually they did exist. I posted this back in April:

You'll want a 4-way of course. If you can only find an 8-way joystick, or end up with one that doesn't have a restrictor at all, you could contact this guy from an RGVAC thread -- Link -- to see if he still has any 4-way restrictors, or can make more.

If you follow that link you'll find Arcade Addiction's post on RGVAC from November 2005:

Arcade Addiction

Nov 3 2005, 7:44 pm 

Subject: Re: Nintendo 4-Way Joystick Restricter Plate

Do you still need one ? I made 22 at work (Tool & Die maker) last month. I
used a NOS one as the template. The only difference is they are
clear(silver) cad plated instead of yellow(gold). If you want I'll email a
picture next to the original one. LMK

-Ron

I emailed him back in April when I made that post about those restrictors he made but I never got a response. I'm glad that someone found him. I'm surprised there was no response to his original post on RGVAC.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 08:15:08 am »
Ok Guys heres the deal.

I have orders for 20 more than I have made. I started working on more at work today. If you get a email from me you are getting the ones I have done right now.

Thank you kind sir -- payment sent!

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:15 am »

Mush

Actually they did exist. I posted this back in April:

You'll want a 4-way of course. If you can only find an 8-way joystick, or end up with one that doesn't have a restrictor at all, you could contact this guy from an RGVAC thread -- Link -- to see if he still has any 4-way restrictors, or can make more.

If you follow that link you'll find Arcade Addiction's post on RGVAC from November 2005:

Arcade Addiction

Nov 3 2005, 7:44 pm 

Subject: Re: Nintendo 4-Way Joystick Restricter Plate

Do you still need one ? I made 22 at work (Tool & Die maker) last month. I
used a NOS one as the template. The only difference is they are
clear(silver) cad plated instead of yellow(gold). If you want I'll email a
picture next to the original one. LMK

-Ron

I emailed him back in April when I made that post about those restrictors he made but I never got a response. I'm glad that someone found him. I'm surprised there was no response to his original post on RGVAC.

If nobody found him, thus you couldn't find him to buy them, they didn't exist.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 11:46:44 am »
If nobody found him, thus you couldn't find him to buy them, they didn't exist.

A word of advice ... don't get into an argument about semantics with Maxim ...

;)