Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Kasco - Ninja Gun  (Read 49587 times)

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Kasco - Ninja Gun
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »
marquee - none
 control panel - blacklight tube
 center beam -  tube  (bulb was missing)
 bottom - red screw-in lightbulb

Mine:
Directly behind the marquee - flourescent tube fixture (assumed white)
Directly below the control panel - Blacklight
Center horizontal beam in the front of the machine - White flourescent tube
Bottom - Red standard base screw in bulb

Mine has a fixture mounted directly behind the marquee. It's missing the tube, but I would assume it was white. I didn't measure it but it appeared to be an odd size..... reminded me of a jukebox bulb size. Kinda like Xiao2 had mentioned, usually just about a 1/4" difference from the standard stuff. I found a local sign/lighting/bulb supplier that carries the odd sized stuff, which is where I get mine for the jukebox, so I'll measure it and check there and let you guys know what i find out.

As for the red bulb - the 130V bulbs will work just fine. Those are rated at 130V for using in signs and such simply so that they will last longer. You'll find that most "sign" bulbs are rated at 130V. (my jukebox uses some 11W 130V so that's where I learned that) Sometimes I've seen red (and other colors) bulbs at Home Depot or Lowes etc. But check around for a sign/lighting/bulb supplier...... the prices are waaaay cheaper.
They may also carry the bulbs for the holographic ninjas as well. (I haven't looked to see what those bulbs are yet)

Glad to hear that some general maintenance and cleaning of the connections brought at least one of these machines back to life. I'll have to do that on mine sometime soon and see what happens. It will probably help alot, because it too used to work quite well when I first looked at the machine, but hasn't since. All of the machines we have and have come across seem to be clean and in good shape. so I'm assuming that maybe the tension on the connectors is just not all the greatest, so a good cleaning makes a big difference.

Xiaou2 - I wonder if you could simply unplug the "trigger" wires and see if your machine still randomly fires.
If it doesn't then it may just be a flaky trigger switch.
If it still randomly mis-fires with the trigger unplugged then it's probably a logic issue.

The marquee light was wired to a two terminal block at the very back of the machine on the right hand side (looking at it from the back) on that upper shelf where all the relays and such are near the marquee.
Couldn't take a picture for ya, it was already too dark out and mines in storage with no power yet. But I can try as soon as I get home from work if you still need it.

Can't wait for a new video!!...... I'm sure it'll be better than the one out on YouTube right now.

(dang...... I'm really itching to get a gun mounted on mine now)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:00:59 pm by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:44 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bxPLnP2bk[/youtube]

Ok, heres my first youtube vid :)     Sadly, its not the best.   I attribute it to the
dark conditions needed to capture the blacklight effect and keep out glass reflections..
as well as using crappy windows encoder program.   I didnt have anything else installed yet.

Sadly, the beautiful sunset turned out the worst.  The cameras light sensor got confused,
and made it white and a real mess.

I will do another vid at a later time when I get everything down pat.

One thing I realized was that the lowest white tube would be completely too bright.
NOTHING like what I remember when I played it as a kid.    I popped a portable
florescent bulb in there as a test, and was horrified.

Then, I decided to try something.   I took 2 semi-translucent plastic blue cups, and put
the same florescent bulb inside them.   I put some blue tarp scrap in the back to keep
light from leaking.  Then put the cup on the coin box,  which is approximately where the
blue bulb would have been.

BAM!  :)

Just about how I remembered it.    ;D

The blue light illuminates the feild just enough, but not so much as to kill the
blacklight effect.   Also, the display is meant to be dark, and bluish.. as its
supposed to be night time.   

Im guessing that some revisions of the game were changed.   This could have
been due to the fact that bright light would have made it hard to see things
clearly.   But it also could have been many other reasons too.   Maybe the
middle tube was supposed to have a blue shielding,  but over time, they
deteriorated... or ops tossed them out.

I will be picking up a real blue light soon,  so as to have the exact color effect
as it was intended.    In the bottom most tube spot,  I have a large blacklight tube.
I will just keep that in there too.

The vid really doesnt do the game justice.   But, at least it shows a working (mostly) game :)

Pic appreciated,  just in case I get it wrong.   Tho, do not rush.  I wont be installing it
for a while.

and yes, sadly, I hear the thing fire every once in a while on its own.  But,  there
seems to be a spot on the PCB that if the gun touches, it will fire on its own.  Again, Im
wondering if this is also a problem with the reader head being too think from wear.
I need another person to help me, cause I cant align things, and check the bottom
at the same time.

ninjagun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2013, 06:41:08 am
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:01 am »
WOW! So that's how it's supposed to work.  :applaud:

And I see you got your "holo" ninjas working. How many relays did you have to clean? Maybe I'll have time to try that with mine tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:02:46 am by ninjagun »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »

As I said, the relays were clean.  Sparkling actually.   It seemed to be a loose
connection on the motor driver pcb board.

However, its still possible that the motors are failing.  Maybe the
internal brushes are almost gone.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 05:24:47 pm »
Well, today I went to grad a new blacklight tube.

Turns out that they make various version of them.   There are the blacklights that
are clear / purple.    And there is a version that looks white, until you turn it on... which
then gives off the UV.   I chose the white one to see if it would work better.

Well, I had mounted a 24" fixture on the support beam,  and using the new bulb,
it worked pretty darn good.   However, to me,  it still seemed a little too
bright.

So, I took it out, and popped one of those clear/Blue party lights that you see at the
drugstores into a screw holder.    That looked so much better :)     I just have to
permanently mount it now.

Maybe a smaller white/blacklight tube would have looked better than the large 24" one...
but I dont have anything to officially test it with.   Anyway,  AFAIK, they used blue lights
in them, and thats what I will use too  :)

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
Do you know of any places that might have a clear blue piece of plastic that could be used to put in front of the white tube? I'd rather do something like that instead of add an extra bulb. Or actually,  I think a sheet of blue, maybe even purple, cellophane hanging in front of the white tube would give the desired effect as well.

Colored cellophane samples
http://www.papermart.com/Templates/page.asp?GOCMP=Papermart%5FCampaign+%231+%2D+High+Sales&GOMTC=Phrase&GOKEY=cellophane&PAGE=47-0-10

Xiaou2 , show us how you mount and wire your new blue bulb. Will you power it from the existing wiring?

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 06:36:14 pm »

Some of those tubes can generate a bit of heat.   It could melt cellophane.  Plus it would be a lot of
work to construct the correct housing, as well as find the needed tint.

More than likely if you wanted to go that route..  a better choice may be to use a sheet of
semi transparent blue plastic that has good thickness.   Then use a heat gun to bend it..  or
cut it into a box shape, and fix it together with hardware.

The wiring will be wired to the tubes wires.  The mount will most likely be a simple metal strip.
I will post pics when completed.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2008, 07:21:18 pm »
I haven't tried to fire my machine up in awhile.... but if I remember correctly, the lower white flourescent light was only on while the game was NOT being played. (attract mode if you will)
It turned completely off and the blacklight came on when a game was started. This would give it a darker and more blacklight responsive look to the backdrops and the rest of the scenery. Then half way through a game being played the red light would come on. When the game finished it's timer set both the blacklight and the red light would go out and the lower white light would come back on. (once again back into attract mode so to speak)

The upper white marquee light would remain on at all times I would assume.

Cool video by the way......
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:25:34 pm by Kevin Mullins »

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:58 pm »
Hmmm, my game keeps the lower white light on all the time. Maybe there's a timer mechanism that needs to be fixed that keeps that light off during a game. That would mean Xiaou2 doesn't have to add that extra blue light.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2008, 09:44:25 pm »

Ok, there may be something wrong with my wiring then.

Anyways..  I prefer the blue light in addition to the blacklight.     The blacklight
alone does not seem to illuminate the field quite enough.

Its possible that the single small black light was supposed to be a  'white-blacklight'.
which would light things up brighter.   I dont have one to test it on tho..  and it does
not specify in the game.

They may have also changed the manufacture process in blacklights too.   Making them
less potent due to health hazards.   Hard to say.

Kev, I have to ask you for the specific places where the wires for the bottom
fixture is connected - in addition to the top marquee :)  hehe

TIA

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 12:17:59 am »
I'll have to run a cord out to my storage building and absolutely double check the lighting sequence on my machine now. Just don't I don't give anyone the wrong information. But I'm almost certain the lower white light turned off when the game started.

Kev, I have to ask you for the specific places where the wires for the bottom
fixture is connected - in addition to the top marquee :)  hehe

No problem....... I'll try and snag some pics tomorrow for ya.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 01:03:09 am »
OK... ran out there and took a look at the light fixture wiring on my cabinet. Hope my description will get ya started anyways. (at least enough to compare mine from yours)
And my wiring looked factory soldered onto the terminal tabs, so I'm pretty certain it's all original.

There is a terminal strip mounted in the front of the machine, directly behind the coin mech mounted on the right side of the cabinet.

Starting from the top going down.....
(don't count the mounting screw, just the terminals)

Screw terminal 1 - Blacklight and Lower White light (both share this terminal)
Screw terminal 2 - Blacklight
Screw terminal 3 - Lower white light

The blacklight has grayish wiring.
The lower white light has brown wiring.

Just the fact that they are on separate terminals (aside from the one shared) tells me that the two fixtures operate independently of each other. (i.e different timings)
But I'll still try to get out there and verify this with it running.

Marquee wiring:
See two terminal connection in pic that I attached below.
The marquee light has grayish wiring.

Let me know what you find out on your machine and if this helps.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 03:14:12 am »
 Heya Kev,

Thanks for the Info.  Will check it out soon.

Tonight I touched up some missing paint on my Marquee.   I think I know why
they removed the marquee light now  :(    The marquee's screen job was very poor.  There
are lots of bubbles where the paint is very thin in certain spots.  When lit, they stick out.

The correct method would have been to use an airbrush... but all I had was acrylics.. so
I did the best I could do.   Looks fine unlit.  Not so sure about when lit  >.<

I think I also changed my mind about the blue light too.   I think the fact that my basement
lighting in my shop was causing things to be too bright to see.   I noticed that the blue light
made the yellow background show up to clearly.  And that the game is supposed to be very dark
at first.

I also finally cleaned the yellow backdrop.  Used some pretty harsh cleaner, but it held up
just fine thankfully.  The material seems to be resistant to liquid..  tho, I didnt use a lot,
as not to push my luck.

I also grabbed a few more shots of the sunrise.  This time, I bumped up my cameras exposure settings,
and it manages to do a pretty good job at capturing the colors.   Unlike the previous shots were
I had to manually tweak them in photoshop.

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:11 am »
Kevin, did you ever buy that gun from that guy in Canada? If not, does he still have it? I'd buy it from him, since these things are hard to find. Let me know.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:03 pm »
No I haven't bought that gun yet.
Had put it off to get through the holidays and to also try and get a chance to check with the local operator that used to own my machine prior to the guy that I got it off of.

And was still juggling the fact that it's a pistol version and not the rifle.

I would assume he still has it...... don't think too many people are looking for one of those. ;)

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 08:24:45 pm »
I just received a high quality scan of the Japanese Ninja Gun arcade flyer from someone who bought it on ebay.uk last November. They were kind enough to take the time and scan it for me, so I'll share it with my fellow Ninja Gun owners.  ;)

Copy and paste this link into your browser, or you'll get redirected to the wrong page if you just click the hyperlink.

http://www.sozoryoku.us/images/ninja_gun.rar

And regarding the rifle for this game, it's actually a shotgun. I've been looking at some Remington shotgun stocks online and it looks like they could be used to replace or customize the gun stock used for this game.  >:D This would be good so you can save wear and tear on the original stock, but most are over $60 so ebay might have better deals.

It's funny when you think about it, that your shooting at ninjas with a shotgun. :laugh2:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:08:12 am by ninjagun »

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:55 am »
You want Rosco or Lee lighting gels which are used in theater and film production.   They're called gels, but they're heat resistant plastic and are used in front of lights that are much hotter than anything in your game.   Sometimes you can find them at photography shops but they're really more of a theater supply item.  Check the yellow pages and make a couple phone calls and I bet you'll find a place that carries them.  You can buy them by the roll or the sheet and there are free swatchbooks that will let you look at all the different colors.

http://www.filmtools.com/leeshpaco5.html#top

http://stagespot.com/gel.html

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/ecolour.asp

Do you know of any places that might have a clear blue piece of plastic that could be used to put in front of the white tube? I'd rather do something like that instead of add an extra bulb. Or actually,  I think a sheet of blue, maybe even purple, cellophane hanging in front of the white tube would give the desired effect as well.

Colored cellophane samples
http://www.papermart.com/Templates/page.asp?GOCMP=Papermart%5FCampaign+%231+%2D+High+Sales&GOMTC=Phrase&GOKEY=cellophane&PAGE=47-0-10

Xiaou2 , show us how you mount and wire your new blue bulb. Will you power it from the existing wiring?
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »
Heya guys,

Can you be so kind as to give my video a rating?  Otherwise it falls too far off the list
for others to even find it.

TIA

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 07:53:10 pm »
Ok, I'll go do that right now.  ;)

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2008, 03:37:42 am »
Alright! I finally got all my ninjas doing their proper movement. It wasn't a motor or mechanical issue but a mere cleaning/maintenance issue. And comparing my machine in action to Xiaou2's youtube video, I'd say the action and timing is identical. 

So anyone having trouble with your ninja's motor not working properly or the holographic ninjas not lighting up, this is what to do first: clean your motor relay discs and contacts.  What I used to clean that build-up on the discs was WD-40 sprayed onto a dry cloth, a razor blade to carefully remove what build-up I couldn't wipe off, and a pencil eraser. It seems that keeping these contacts clean should keep the targets running smoothly for a long while.

Here are some pics on where the motor relay discs are and the grime you'll have to remove.

I also noticed that as I was removing the relay contacts to clean the discs, shots would be fired as the contacts touched the discs (no, I didn't have the power off  >:D ). So maybe these contacts could also have something to do with gun firing or trigger issues. I'm not positive though, since I cleaned the discs and still have a firing issue when aiming at the climbing ninja on the right. Sounds similar to the problem Xiaou2 has.

And I still need to figure out why the white tube light at the bottom of the cab stays on until the red light comes on. It's supposed to turn of when you start a game so the black light takes effect, right?

Anyhow, at least the problem of the ninjas not moving/displaying properly is solved.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:06:10 pm by ninjagun »

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2008, 03:51:25 am »
I noticed 4 screws in the top half of the back of my Ninja Gun cabinet. Is there supposed to be something there? Anyone else have these on their cab?

I didn't take a pic of the screws, but here's a pic of the game marquee lit-up, for any visitors to these forums who have never seen this game before.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:03:28 am by ninjagun »

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 05:35:41 am »
Here's the lowdown on what's going on with my gun firing on it's own when I aim at the climbing ninja on the right. Even if the game isn't being played, but plugged in, I can aim the gun to the right  and it makes a firing sound.  :dunno

Virgil Tracy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2008, 04:53:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • www.virgil.tk
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2008, 05:41:15 am »
Watching this thread makes me want to add more kasco machines to my collection, keep up the good work.

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:57 am »
I'm sure we'll do our best. Next on the agenda is looking at the inside of the gun itself to see what the trigger connections look like. They probably need some maintenance too.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2008, 09:52:15 pm »
It's really good to hear that so far most of the problems associated with these machines seems to be just the need for some general maintenance and cleaning. I'm gonna get my machine out and do alot of the same once I get a few other projects out of the way.
 :cheers:

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:52 pm »
Watching this thread makes me want to add more kasco machines to my collection, keep up the good work.

Does this imply that you have some other Kasco machines already?
I only know of a few that they made.
Of course any EM style game is cool in my opinion, but the Kasco ones seem to be the oddball make to find which to me makes them even more interesting.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:35 pm »

Grr..  Mine has the same problem.   It wasnt doing it when I got it.. as it would only misfire
occasionally.

Now its also doing what yours is doing..  where it automatically fires when its on the
right side climbing ninja  :(   And not registers firing on that trace.

Someone else suggested a wire in the gun might be hitting a bare spot, and
causing it to fire in that position.  Yet, somehow I think it may be a bit more than
that alone.

Also, I had already cleaned and buffed all those spots before.. and still the Ninja didnt want
to move... so Im not sure what the deal is with that..  but good to hear your is going now :)

Virgil Tracy

• Offline Offline
    • www.virgil.tk
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2008, 04:51:03 am »

Does this imply that you have some other Kasco machines already?

Yes I do, on page one of this thread my two are listed a flying duck and air fighter

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:37 am »

Now its also doing what yours is doing..  where it automatically fires when its on the
right side climbing ninja  :(   And not registers firing on that trace.

Someone else suggested a wire in the gun might be hitting a bare spot, and
causing it to fire in that position.  Yet, somehow I think it may be a bit more than
that alone.

I looked at the wiring schematics and followed the black wire on the pin for that trace that is misfiring on the gun stylus board (NG PB 07) to the NG PB 02 board for the wall climbing ninja.

Long-story short, there is a blown relay on the NG PB 02 board that needs to be replaced. To verify, I swapped the NG PB 02 board with the one for the left wall climbing ninja target and can now shoot the ninja on the right wall, but the ninja on the left wall has the misfiring issue. The only ID I found on the relay is that is says OMRON Type LC2 N. I searched and can't find this part online. But maybe there is an alternative relay that can be used.

Here's the culprit that will make you put your soldering skills to the test, once you find and adequate replacement.  :censored:

I got to go to bed soon, but I did check the omron website to look for the part. But it seems they don't make it any more. http://components.omron.com/ 

So, I had a good weekend. I pinpointed most of the problems with my Ninja Gun game. Only thing now is to find a replacement relay & figure out why that bottom white tube light doesn't turn off when I start a game.  :banghead:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:14:35 pm by ninjagun »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:53 am »
Im no good at electronics past a basic connection..  so very nice that you have come to the
same problem as my machine too.

I always thought that relays were those huge see-thru blocks  such as the ones in the lightbox
on the right side.   Btw - Im suspecting that those are the problems with the main tube lights not
going on/off.   (as I can clearly hear one relay up there make the red light go on/off)

I surely hope there is something we can use to replace those small relays with.

Please keep us updated.

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2008, 04:14:17 pm »
You're right, the relays I'm talking about  are those see-through blocks on the NG PB 02 boards.
I took off the clear case from the relay and just barely bent the pin that looked like it was touching the blue conductor inside. So that pin is not touching the blue conductor now, but the misfiring is still happening; it's just that the sound is lower when misfiring now. Shots from actually pulling the trigger during the game are at normal volume.

This is what the relay looks like. The small pin at the base of the blue conductor inside (or whatever that blue thing is called) looks to have shorted or something.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:59:21 pm by ninjagun »

Virgil Tracy

• Offline Offline
    • www.virgil.tk
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2008, 04:30:56 am »
What you are  calling the blue conductor is the relay coil that produces a magnetic feild to pull the switch contacts from normally open to normally closed. It would be highly unlikely that you would need to adjust any part of the relay.

A replacement relay would be easy to find if you know the coil voltage.

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2008, 07:01:15 am »
I still haven't found an alternative relay to replace the old one.

But I just wanted to ask you guys what the serial number is on the back of your Ninja Gun cabinet. Mine is 343.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2008, 07:17:04 pm »
My cabinet number is 315.

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »
Would some one here please tell me what the size of the spring is that goes on the bottom of the gun assembly? The spring on mine has been stretched by the previous owner and I'd like to find a suitable replacement. Don't forget to unhook it before measuring. Also, any ideas where to buy such a spring?

By the way, I've located an electromechanical gun assembly for a game called Top Gun by Midway. Once I get it, I'll see if it can be made to work on a Ninja Gun machine. Here's what the gun looks like. The size of the base-mount is exactly the same as the Kasco rifle.

I also found yet another gun assembly. The base-mount is round instead of square and has a bit smaller footprint. And this is actually a light or photo sensor gun. So it doesn't have the proper wiring, but I think it could be made to replace the rifle on a Ninja Gun machine. All that should really need to be done is have the proper wires connected from the trigger mechanism to the Ninja Gun wire assembly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:55:41 am by ninjagun »

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2008, 07:56:56 pm »
Just  a few questions for you guys.

How high was your coin counter on your machine when you bought it? Mine was at about 32330 when I got it.

And Xiaou2, what is your highest score so far? I know one of your targets can't be shot (same as mine), but my highest score is 111.

By the way, I still haven't found a replacement for the old relay switch yet. But I did buy a few red light bulbs.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:53:21 am by ninjagun »

ninjagun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »

I took apart the Holo-Ninja assemblies to clean, and scan them as well.   

Do you mean you scanned them on your PC scanner? Just curious.

I was thinking of designing some new ninja targets on the PC and printing them out to paste on some thin cardboard so I can interchange them with the original targets. I noticed the targets only have a single screw holding them in place. So it would be interesting to see what can be done to customize the game a little.

I'd like to make some ninjas with more detail and colors in them. Don't they make fluorescent colored ink cartridges for printers?

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2008, 01:38:24 pm »
Yes, a pc scanner.

Id love to scan all of the artwork.. .however,  Im not sure I have the stomach to
do so.   

Most of the artwork is stapled down in place.  And I believe the ninjas are
riveted.   Removing them would be a real challenge without damaging them.

The holo section was easy, because it was a simple plastic section that was
silk-screened with artwork.   I have not scanned the paper ninjas because
of the bolt/rivet issue.

I do not know of florescent printer inks for home pcs.   Yet, one could possibly
find a sign printer who could do it.   Or, one could use paints and a brush the
old fashioned way.    Personally, I love the original look of the ninjas, (and all the
rest of the art)  and wouldnt change them one bit. 

Maybe it is because you have not seen your game properly lit up in
blacklight.   The video I posted is nowhere close to the real look... which
is just amazing to see in person.

Btw - there are only like 5 colors that glow in blacklight... so, I wouldnt expect
that you could do much to the look to improve them.   Unless you are thinking to
make it an all 'daylit'  version... then its completely different story.   And if you
were - send your old art to me instead so I could scan it.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 02:14:03 pm »

Heres partial examples.

There are two sides to each artwork.

On the Hangers... the plastic in orange.   On one side, its screened black and white.   Light
shines from the orange side thru to the white - and creates something like shown on the
right - which I simulated using a lightbox + scanner at same time.

Yet, on the 'Flipping' Yellow ninjas... it seems to work oppositely.   The light is shown thru the
black/white side,  and the other side had a black boarder screened around the ninjas.
It may be that the color yellow didnt want to show up well enough when done like the
orange... so they did it this way instead.  Not sure really.

Since Im not about to rip out the actual lights and light them all separately while scanning,
it will not be a perfect replication.  However, the screened art is preserved for the real game
in case replication is needed.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:46 pm »
I noticed that one fellow Ninja Gun owner has already spotted this auction and asked a question, but I figured I'd post a link.

Pretty cool...... never even heard of this one by Kasco.
I'll probably save all the auction pics for archiving.
And check out the gun itself !

KASCO - F.B.I. Shoot Out Gun