Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joysticks that "works good" for Robotron and Fighters  (Read 3726 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Joysticks that "works good" for Robotron and Fighters
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »
The phrase "works good" is subjective.  Robotron and Fighters can have much different requirements from an joystick standpoint.  For Robotron, smaller actuation and a light-weight throw is best.

But for fighters, some people like the large throw of Happs Comps, some like the narrow actuation of Sanwa's with it's large throw. AND some even put a tighter spring on a Sanwa for a stiffer throw.

IMO you can't really have both, and if you try to compromise between the two you'll just end up with a set-up that works crummy for both game-types. But that's just me, perhaps others might have a different opinion?

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: Joysticks that "works good" for Robotron and Fighters
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:59:46 am »
Nah man your spot on, some games need a quick twitchy movement, and others need a slow one.  One thing that’s become really apparent to me over time is, it’s the interface stupid.  That’s what makes arcade games unique, how you interact with them.  And the joysticks and buttons you use dictate that.  There’s a reason the original designers used the sticks that they did, and a reason why there wasn’t one stick to rule them all.  It’s actually been refreshing to realize there’s this much specificity in gaming, keeps me thinking all the time.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:28:05 pm »
There’s a reason the original designers used the sticks that they did...

Eh... Pretty sure it was just doing the best with what they had at the time.

"We'd like the game to do X"

**digs thru parts catalog**

"Hey! Looks like Y will do the trick!"

"Alright! Get 'em on the line! Let's make that money!"

Kind of explains minor design changes midway thru production runs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:30:20 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:40:46 pm »
There’s a reason the original designers used the sticks that they did...

Eh... Pretty sure it was just doing the best with what they had at the time.

Well for Robotron, Eugene Jarvis wanted to solve the problem of moving in the direction you are shooting from Berserk.  He was also suffering from an injury at the time, so they tried out the dual stick set-up and found that it solved both the gameplay and the injury issue :D

As for fighting cabinets, in North America they used whatever was available and cheap for 8-way sticks. In Japan though, candy cabinets specifically used Sanwa's and Seimitsu's for different game applications.  This is why you see a lot of Astro and Blast City's with Sanwa because their main usage was fighters and beat-em-ups, while cabinets like Neo 29's, Aero City's used Seimitsu's for shoot-em-ups and platformers.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:46:38 pm »
Love the Sanwas on my NeoGeo, they just feel right. Crisp responsive controls in Metal Slug, Thrash Rally , and Samurai Shodown just the same.
Love my Happ Comps on my Multi CPS2, they just feel right. Throwing Hadoukens , kicking the crap out of Aliens, and PewPewing like a boss.  TBH though, I could use a smaller actuation area in Progear and Mars Matrix but I'd probably have to ride the gates for the fighters if I changed them out.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.