Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best image editor..? Opinions?  (Read 3164 times)

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Best image editor..? Opinions?
« on: May 10, 2003, 05:52:54 am »
Well.. I may reinstall Photoshop and give a go with that.. but currently I'm trying to touch up a pic (@20MB as a JPEG or @90MB as a Photoshop image, don't have the other specs ATM but it was a 6 sq. ft. scan at -- I think -- 400 DPI) in Paint Shop Pro and the program eats it when I try to do simple operations like rotate on my PIII850 w/ 384MB.  It's also slow as hell..

What program do you guys usually use?  Illustrator, isn't it?  Should I change the file format to anything in particular for editing or possibly reduce the DPI?  Would rather not, but..
k-spiff

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:Best image editor..? Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 11:14:32 am »
What program do you guys usually use?  Illustrator, isn't it?  Should I change the file format to anything in particular for editing or possibly reduce the DPI?  Would rather not, but..

I would use photoshop, you can't do image editing in illustrator or at least not the kind that you probably want.  If it isn't a vector image, you probably should not use illustrator.  

That is one huge image if it is 6 square feet at 400 dpi.  I would change the dpi to 200 or maybe even 150 if you need to make it manageable.  No lower than 150, that is the cutoff for acceptable quality.  Anything higher than 200 or 300 here is just a waste of resources.

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 08:23:35 pm »
Awesome, that is exactly what I needed to know.. so I'll reinstall PS and down-scale the resolution.  Thanks for the advice.
k-spiff

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 04:14:01 am »
I agree. You are just running out of RAM dealing with such a huge image. Scale it down. You can always scale it back up for your printout copy. That will work fine unless it is a super complicated image that really needs to have that much detail.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 02:35:47 pm »
Yup, the others have it correct.  Your problem isn't because of the program that you're using, it's the size of the image.  Most people don't realize that the size of the program on disk (90MB in your case) is not even close to the size of the image in memory.  Lots of things contribute to file size, but the major ones are width, height, resolution, color depth, and number of layers.  If the image is too big to fit into memory then you have to decrease one or more of these items until you can work with it.  Either that, or get more RAM.  Otherwise your machine has to page everything to disk (virtual memory) and that is what slows everything down.

As an example, my CPO image was 16.5" x 39" @ 300dpi (multiple layers) and was over 700MB when expanded into memory.  It was only 50MB or so when saved to disk.

Open that file and take a look in Photoshop/Paint Shop and i'll bet you'll find that even though the file is 90MB on disk, it's 800MB or more in memory.

said7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2012, 02:24:47 pm
  • "I smell..... NERDS" - Ogar
    • www.said7.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 09:28:57 am »
Take a look at Real Draw PRO.

Its a really cool vector/pixel editor in 1.  lots of cool effects and filters built in. Nice verasatitiliy. A little bit of a learning curve though.

Nice unknown program.
Check out my site: http://www.said7.com
Arcade site comming soon.