Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: light gun opinions?  (Read 3740 times)

bowmand1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • need help with a console controller hack? write me
light gun opinions?
« on: March 18, 2002, 01:59:04 pm »
Just a quick question for discussion...  I'm converting a cab right now, I guess I'm not going full out because I'm only installing a Dreamcast instead of a PC, but since I can get Mamed and NesterDC, PLUS kickbutt fighting games and other favorites like Gauntlet Legends, I'm pretty happy with this.

My question is this:  What is your favorite light gun for the Dreamcast?  I haven't bought any yet, but I plan on investing in two that I can holster on the side of my cab, to play Virtua Cop, House of the Dead 2, and whatever else I can get my hands on.  There's a bunch of different light guns on eBay, not just the two main ones (DreamBlaster and Starfire), and I haven't been able to get any input on any of them.  

So, yeah...  what's a good lookin' light gun that works well, is decently inexpensive, and is easily available?  I'd like a matched pair, if you're selling, or will trade for a good controller hack (I'm an electronics technician, and I take pride in my wiring and soldering)

Talk amongst yourselves...  and thanks for being here, BYOAC!  --dave
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
"you put our TV into WHAT?!"  --Rachel, my fiance, who doesn't even live with me...  (OUR TV? sheesh)

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
Re: light gun opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 03:13:06 pm »
No experience with any DC light guns but this is the one I want:

http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=28&products_id=520&

Talk about looking badass.  I already have a Panther V that I ordered from them.  Definitely not something you could buy in the U.S.  It's all silver and black.

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 08:39:13 pm »
lik-sang alsohas a saweet recoil DC gun!! if you buy those buy 4 and ill pay you for them and part of shipping...D.....

:)

DanU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2003, 04:38:33 pm
  • Creator of the world's messiest cabinet wiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 08:07:57 am »
There are some crazy things at Lik-Sang and eBay that I've seen, but I read too many usenet horror stories about some guns not working with some games, inaccuracy, etc. While Sega didn't release its offical light gun in the US (and it won't work on US DCs), it said at some point that the MadCatz Dreamblaster is the "offical" US gun. I bought on used for $10 from EB and couldn't be happier. Works great, and I'm using it on a 21" PC monitor with the VGA adapter (Hi rez HOTD2 is the only way to go!). I heard lots of negative things about the Starfire, specifically that the trigger breaks easily and needs frequent recalibration. Good luck!
DanU