Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: wincab Version 3.1.4 Unstable?  (Read 22179 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: wincab Version 3.1.4 Unstable?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 02:30:49 am »
Yeah, at this point I seriously doubt switching to BMP's will change anything.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

wwwombat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2011, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 01:30:11 am »
Update on this issue:

I'm trying to add the long-planned feature of being able to switch skins on the fly.  The feature works for a few switches then crashes.  It crashes faster if one of those skins is an album skin.  To me, this implies that it's not a JPG processing problem after all, it's a memory corruption error of some sort; either a memory leak, a memory overrun, or an improper/premature memory release.  I'm picking through the code with a fine toothed comb, adding a lot of logging and sanity checks.  I believe if I find and fix the problem that is keeping skin switching from working properly, it will also fix the problem of the jukebox falling over after a number of page turns.

--Chris

Been a while since I checked in on this but I'm about to add even more songs/artists to my list.... Can't see any new version on the site that might attempt to fix this issue (as well as supply other wondrous features  ;)  )but I'm always suspicious about how my work browser caches things.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 12:25:03 pm »
There isn't.  I spent quite some time working on this issue; I believe that it is serious enough to hold back any further releases.  Working on dynamic skin loading is helping me find the issues.  However, I have not worked on it at all for the last two months; my mother got ill a couple of months ago and passed away last month so I have both been busy with family and not in the mood to bug hunt.

The skin loading code is the one that creates all of the buffers used by album art; I am having to rewrite this code almost completely to kill the bugs in dynamic loading.  So a fix is coming, I just can't promise it will be soon; the skin loader is the most complicated code in the system.
--Chris

wwwombat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:38 am »
Sorry to hear that Chris.... by all means, take all the time you need... you're doing us the service not the other way around.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 11:27:37 pm »
I've just released 3.2; I've found a number of bugs and cleaned up a lot of memory issues that will hopefully solve this once and for all.
--Chris

wwwombat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 10:30:01 pm »
W00t! Downloaded, installed and tested a bit last night. So far, so good... I'll run it in radio mode with automatic page flips every few seconds for a good 10 hours or so in the next couple of days and see what happens... will report back.

wwwombat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 05:46:51 pm »
Pleased to report that extensive testing under the current (3.2.1) version of Wincab seems to show that this abortive behaviour during page-flipping has now been eradicated. Thanks Chris!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 10:22:13 am »
Wonderful... thank you for checking this out for me!
--Chris