Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New VECTOR GAME Emulator (AAE)  (Read 96214 times)

Chunce DeLeone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm
Re: New VECTOR GAME Emulator (AAE)
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
Anthalon XP 3800+  ATI Radeon X550, TinyXP Beast,  Finally got passed the errors to load the GUI but when it loads the screen is very choppy and you can barely see what is going on, everything is thin white and balck lines.  What is causing that?   

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:19 am »
it will be fixed. I spoke to Tim about this very issue.  He did give me a test build that works. It has something to do with the texture sampling I think.

Chunce DeLeone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2008, 02:18:57 pm »
Very Cool,  would you want to pass along that test build? 

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 07:58:56 am »
That not my call. Talk to Tim.

M37R01D

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2009, 06:23:25 pm
    • M37R01Dz M0Dz
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2008, 07:36:12 pm »
I'm still testing but so far it seems to work pretty good on the new ArcadeVGA2 :)
I'll post back with some results after more testing.

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2008, 07:39:30 am »
Check the website

A new version out to fix ATI bug and a few other small fixes

Ninten-doh

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2008, 10:24:07 pm »
I can get an Nvidia 6600 with 128mb RAM.  Does the RAM amount matter for this emulator?  For those of you (Darth Nuno, Waveryder) using an NVidia 6600 successfully, how much RAM does your card have?

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:15 pm »
I have a 128mb 6200 on a 2.8 P4 with a gig of ram and it's slow.

*Geez, I obviously am not thinking fully in things. Yes, it runs slow.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:28:40 am by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
When using Bzonegl.exe, I get CANNOT LOCATE SELECTED ROM SET even though I have every version and have them in the proper folder.

Help???

:dizzy:

aae

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2008, 07:23:41 pm »
It's been a LONG time since I looked at that one.  :-\
It's really outdated and not very good. It requires unzipped roms in the directory \roms\bzone

You really should try the latest version of AAE. It finally is similar to MAME (tm) in emulation quality, at least for the atari games. Once I get the input system rewritten it will be even better.  ;D

I believe right now battlezone emulation is just about perfect. 

If the emulator is too slow, turn off the Phospher trail effect and bezels, then it will run on just about any nvidia 6200 and above at %100 speed, with Vista and XP. (At least with the latest NVIDIA or ATI drivers)

I wish people would experiment with all the options, with the glow set right and extra ambience sound effects enabled, it really adds to the experience.

Thanks!
Tim

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2008, 10:25:02 pm »
What would be cool is if there was a config tool (or installer) that would allow the user to pick a configuration based on how powerful of a system they have, such as "best experience", "balanced experience and performance", and "best performance" (and maybe "custom" for picking each desired option) so users wouldn't necessarily need to figure out and experiment with each setting too much.

Just a thought. I haven't done too much with aae yet because it doesn't handle my vertical monitor very well in the current build (I think I already reported that to you), so I'm purely reacting to your post as opposed to anything I remember about setting aae up.

Looking forward to the next version. I've got Multimame all set up to have aae take over for vector games whenever I decide it works well enough for my needs! ;D
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

jukingeo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2015, 08:25:28 pm
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:29 am »

just about any nvidia 6200 and above at %100 speed, with Vista and XP. (At least with the latest NVIDIA or ATI drivers)

I have an ATI 9600XT which has 256meg ram and it is roughly twice the speed of the Nvidia 5200FX of which this card replaced.

I read earlier in this thread that Tiger-Heli tested the 5200FX to work with AAE.   I don't really consider the 5200FX a fast card at all.  But I am wondering if you may know if the ATI 9600XT will work fine with AAE, if not then I just have to wait until I get a more powerful machine.

Full specs:

Dell Dimension 4600
2.8ghz w/2 gig ram
500gb Seagate SATA 7200rpm drives
ATI 9600XT 256meg ram

Speaking of system power, what are the requirements of AAE?  Would it work on a machine slower than this?  Mostly it seems that the video card capabilities were stressed, but what about the rest of the system?

Thanx,

Geo

"Let me tell you about the time I used a sharpened clamshell to turn a T-Rex into a T-Rachel!" -Buck  Ice Age 3

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2008, 12:55:38 pm »
9600XT is quite a bit better than a 5200FX.

That said, on the 5200, a lot of games only really run well at 640x or 800x resolution, and that was with an earlier version of AAE.  The thing is AAE will run on the FX5200, it won't even load on my ATI 9200SE.

FWIW.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2008, 07:44:36 pm »
Hey, Christmas is early again. There's a new version.

AAE, I did as you said but noticed very little if any improvement. I actually already had all artwork off for Tempest. I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:59:31 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

aae

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2008, 07:09:33 am »
Hi again,

Well, I have looked at the above comments, and I was not sure what to say, but I'll give it a shot.  :P

For my emulator, all of the CPU code except for the 6809 in star wars is x86 assembly, so it's much faster then what's in mame. Less then 10% of the CPU usage in fact. The video requirements are due the large textures that I am creating, scaling and mixing in the system for display. With vector games, you can't cache anything in the background, everything must be drawn realtime unfortunately.

In order to get any acceptable speed at all in this worst case scenario, I'm using many newer video functions that help make these large texture transfers much faster. Unfortunately, only newer video card designs support these advanced features.

I have been strugging with peoples issues on this, because I really don't understand I guess.   ???
Here in the US, cheap fast video cards go for about $50 (an up) at places like newegg.  Any of these cheap cards, such as a low end 8600 can run my program with all options enabled and not break a sweat.
Admittedly, I have a decent job and am not affected by any economic downturn (yet) and I can afford to spend $50 on a video card. Actually right now I'm using a used 7600GT that I bought from a friend for $30 a year ago to write this program, and it runs everything with no problems either.
Even as a college student working at a fast food resturant, I could save my beer money and have $50 saved up in a few months. 
So I honestly have a hard time worrying  about trying to support really old, low end video cards when such fast new cards can run this and more.
I am not trying to flame anyone or such, I just can't spend hours trying to tweak the graphics system for low end support when I just spent the last three days getting analog input scaling to work so I could finally play major havoc with a mouse.

Let me know your opinions and I'll listen, and even try to make things better, but with everything else that I need to finish and the little time I have available to work on this it may not happen any time soon.

Thanks for all the support and input,
Tim

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2008, 04:58:59 pm »
Don't take this as a flame, but perhaps I can help you with the logic from my personal experience.

I have an AMD XP2800 with DDR1 memory and an AGP motherboard.

I had a ATI 9200 graphics card in it and I swapped it with an FX5200 from another PC we have, just so I could run AAE.

The machine is old, but it plays MAME and office apps fine, so I don't see a real reason to upgrade it.

The $50 graphics cards like you mention from www.newegg.com are all PCI-e versions.

I could find a $50 6200LE or a used 9600XT card in AGP, which would run AAE, but not well (and when I upgraded the PC in the future, any modern mobo will not have AGP support, so that money is wasted) - or I could spend about $350 on a $50 PCIe card, PCIe motherboard, Core2Duo processor, fan, and new memory.

Cheap for the performance boost, but a lot of money to run one emulator.

Again, I am not asking and don't expect you to write new code to support archaic vid cards, but I thought you might like a different perspective.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
My opinion is you can't worry too much about older obsolete systems unless it is cheap to handle those scenarios. There's always MAME which can handle those situations - it's not like aae is the only option for vector games.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2008, 06:29:01 am »
He have warn about it in his first post. Either you want to have a nice render using AAE with require a newer graphics card, but if you can't, go for MAME which fine emulate all games.

That it, its was choice by design, and hence it not a flaw in the code.

It even I would like to see a OpenGL version of this emulator.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

aae

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2008, 07:17:03 am »
Tiger - Heli

Thanks for the input, I do see what you mean. I had to do the same thing, and it's a hefty charge to swap everything. I know I can squeak some more performance out of the video code, when I get done with the input I have to revisit it anyways to try to add yet another layer to it for monitor mask effects.   :banghead:

Thanks again,
Tim

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:41 am »
I FINALLY got multimame set up with Maximus Arcade and can't wait to use AAE in my cabinet. Thanks again Tim for the hard work.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2008, 03:43:39 pm »
Don't fret, aae. I wasn't complaining. I was just sharing my experience. In my case, I'm using a 6200 because I prefer Advancemame for mame, and the fairly powerful ATI X800 I got to be able to run things like AAE, as well as have better VP peformance with higher-end tables, isn't working with it. Since mame is my main concern, and I haven't been able to acquire an Nvidia 6800 for a reasonable price to see if it will work with Advancemame, I'm kinda stuck.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2008, 08:11:26 am »
I have finally tested it, it a darn cool emulator which need to been directly support in my frontend yet. There is only one request which is not have any graphics or emulation to due:

In -listromstotxt commandline argument does only show rom and its required files. Would it been possible to add company and full title (which is allready used in its nice inbuilt GUI, which doesn't need changing that) in the file as well, so it doesn't need to been have a updated nms/dat file, when this emulator got updated?
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:46 am »
AAE was working fine for me until I applied the latest AAEU2 patch. Now I get a white screen when I select a rom. This is on my core duo machine with an ATI Radeon X1600.

Also, I have a feature request. My front end runs at 1280x720. When I select an AAE game in my front end and launch, I get a dialog letting me know that AAE is switching resolutions since the game is running at a resolution different that my front ends. It would be nice to disable this notification.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:09:36 am by Todd H »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2008, 03:01:49 pm »
Todd: I've had no problems with the new build on my old, and too slow, 6200. Could be specific to your system. Try a fresh directory and only transfer roms over. Also, if you set the games in AAE to the same as your desktop, there should be no issues.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »
Tried it and still get the white screen.

Unfortunately, Maximus Arcade won't do the same resolution as my desktop. And AAE doesn't seem to do a 1280x720 resolution.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2008, 09:04:15 pm »
Is there a way to remove the title bar at the top while the game is running?

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2008, 12:23:54 am »
Is there a way to remove the title bar at the top while the game is running?

Check the AAE config file and make sure that "windowed" is set to zero.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2008, 12:44:07 am »
Thanks - one last question: is there a way to edit the game list?

9innail

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2011, 11:18:53 am
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2008, 01:29:35 am »
I think I missed something. How do I use this with Maximus Arcade? :cry:
I love this emulator and I would like to have it on my arcade cabinet. 
I have a 256mb nvidia graphics card so I think it should run well.:applaud:

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2008, 07:36:55 am »
I think I missed something. How do I use this with Maximus Arcade? :cry:
I love this emulator and I would like to have it on my arcade cabinet. 
I have a 256mb nvidia graphics card so I think it should run well.:applaud:

I've got it running under Maximus Arcade using Multimame.

http://multimame.wikidot.com/

richyrich888

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2013, 12:14:19 pm
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2009, 07:52:20 am »
Hi, have got aae up and running on p4 3.0ghz thinkcentre 2g ram with ati radeon x700 agp card.  Did have an 9600xt card in machine which would run aae, but it was a bit slow (even when overclocked to max using powerstrip). so off to ebay for a faster card! the x700 runs asteroids fine, (slight understatement ..it looks GREAT ! )  have o'clocked it just a tiny bit to bring the speed up a fraction.
My fav vector game is Starwars my Cab Controller is Ultrastick 360. have got starwars running in AAE but can't see anyway to get the mouse or the u360 to control the game.   ...is analog control supported by AAE yet ? (mouse works in menu selection screen)  or have I missed something ?

Ps keep up the good work, AAE fantastic emu.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2009, 01:07:04 am »
Grabbed the AAEu2 release and I get the following error:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I tried extracting AAEu1 into my AAE directory followed by AAEu2. Also tried to extract AAEu2 into a fresh copy of my AAE directory. Also tried it by itself in case I misunderstood the directions. Still no luck. Is this a Vista only app? Seems kind of strange to force Vista for this type of emulator.

My best guess is a dependency problem somewhere. I'm in zero mood to go hunting down which dependency I need to fiddle with, so I'll just leave it at that. The last version I have is Beta Version 1. It seems to run OK. I haven't tried to run a lot of ROMS with it however.

aae

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
Hi,

People have been getting this with XP 64bit and Vista 64bit, otherwise it has been working fine. If you feel like fixing it, just download this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

and install it. The error you are getting is due to a dll conflict, and I will fix it in a new release later.

Thanks,
Tim

aae

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
richyrich888:

The current version has limited, poor analog input support. The new version in a couple of months will have proper, configurable analog input.

Sorry!

richyrich888

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2013, 12:14:19 pm
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »
Hi aae,
  just glad i hadn't overlooked/ missed something. your hard work is much appreciated. totally loved the glow of the vectors in starwars. ..used to work in a amusement park /  arcade when i was 16/17 and we had a starwars cockpit cab there, my mate and i used to compete on. I thought mame was good, but this blows it away. have been building my multi emu cocktail table for over a year !! (most of the work gone into learning about batch files, aspect ratio / rotate and command line stuff ...(trying to get everything to work slick and in the background, so the whole thing just seems simple ....and a key board is never seen! (perfectionist)) so will be looking forward to your next release , doesn't matter how long it takes for you to get it us guys.

PS.  here is a link i thought you might like, to a vid about a retro arcade in the usa. there is a good close up screen shot where the guy plays an original asteroids and talks about how "you just can't create this effect on a raster monitor ....."   ;)

(asterodis  bit is almost exactly 15 min into the video, about 3/4 of the way through.)

pps do you think it might be possible to work-in some hi score saving, like when mame is recompiled with the hiscore.dat files ? 

-all the best, -Rich.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2009, 03:12:10 pm »
Hi,

People have been getting this with XP 64bit and Vista 64bit, otherwise it has been working fine. If you feel like fixing it, just download this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

and install it. The error you are getting is due to a dll conflict, and I will fix it in a new release later.

Thanks,
Tim

I have Ol' Fashion XP SP2. I'm at work so I'll try it again when I get home. If it fails, I'll drop by with hardware specs. I don't think my hardware is an issue since I tried it with the first Beta version I have and it worked OK.

Moving along, I was looking around on the website and I realized that the working Beta copy that I have isn't actually the same file that's available for download. In fact, what you have there is an Alpha build ??? dated 09/28/2008. I'll talk to PEBCAK and let him know to stop trying to install AAEu1/AAEu2 into the Beta directory. I'll go home and download the Alpha release, install and report back.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »
Hi, I will need to buy a new video card to try this, mine won't run it. I am running a standard res monitor in my cab; am I going to notice a big difference over MAME on this monitor? My video card works great for everything else, so I want to make sure I will see a difference by upgrading. all of the comments I have seen talk about tri res monitors.

Assuming it will be better than mame, I will be looking for a card that will be future proof at least as far as this emulator is concerned, and also work well with soft-15khz. Does anyone have any recommendations in the < $100 range?

Thanks

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:47 pm »
Hi, I will need to buy a new video card to try this, mine won't run it. I am running a standard res monitor in my cab; am I going to notice a big difference over MAME on this monitor? My video card works great for everything else, so I want to make sure I will see a difference by upgrading. all of the comments I have seen talk about tri res monitors.

Assuming it will be better than mame, I will be looking for a card that will be future proof at least as far as this emulator is concerned, and also work well with soft-15khz. Does anyone have any recommendations in the < $100 range?

Thanks

Um, as high res is always the choice for vector games, I'm betting it'll be the same here.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:37 pm »
Hey aae.

Any news? Looking forward to the next version with joystick support. Thanks.

H4CK3R

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2012, 06:12:09 am
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:07 am »
Heres my Comparison  Will make a better video...

AAE Rocks.. now to get it tow ork in Hyperspin.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_DoN_SFv0[/youtube]