Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New VECTOR GAME Emulator (AAE)  (Read 96212 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: New VECTOR GAME Emulator (AAE)
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2009, 04:12:28 am »
It looks brighter, but you can't see the glow on your video. Just the lines are more distinct. As for the aspect ratio, you can adjust that in mame.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »
I just downloaded this to try out.  I must say that I think it's great.  I love the HV Chatter option in the sounds settings as well.  Great job!  I also like the mouse (trackball, spinner) navigation.

aae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »
I just want everyone to know that no news is not "No work on AAE".

My current (unfinished) allegro based build has "Mame equivalent" mouse and joystick control, with specific support for xbox 360 joysticks, plus rotation for vertical games.

It should be much nicer, at least from a control standpoint. The holdup is from a couple of things, one is that I needed a break and stopped working on it for a couple of months. The menus and input configurations still need totally reworked, and trying to support so many types of input configurations is not as easy as MAME makes it look.
The other holdup is the number of complaints about compatibility, especially 64 bit. My problem is the antique library I built things on, "Allegro" and it's eternal beta cycle. I have decided to write my own GL, directinput and directsoundcode, which has been a slow process.
But things are ramping up again, and the fact that people are trying to use this hacked together emulator makes me want to work on it even more ;)

Look for test versions sometime this summer, with hopefully something nice coming soon.

BTW, Thanks for the youtube video, awsome large screen there!

Thanks!!!!!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
its great work Tim, enjoy it thoroughly. Now get out of here and back to coding :whap   :cheers:

H4CK3R

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2012, 06:12:09 am
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:40 am »
Thanks... Brian H turned me onto AAE.  And now I'm addicted, even thinking of making a intro video for it for Hyperspin.   Let me know please if you need some beta testers... I'm game =)

Charles

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »
I just want everyone to know that no news is not "No work on AAE".

My current (unfinished) allegro based build has "Mame equivalent" mouse and joystick control, with specific support for xbox 360 joysticks, plus rotation for vertical games.

It should be much nicer, at least from a control standpoint. The holdup is from a couple of things, one is that I needed a break and stopped working on it for a couple of months. The menus and input configurations still need totally reworked, and trying to support so many types of input configurations is not as easy as MAME makes it look.
The other holdup is the number of complaints about compatibility, especially 64 bit. My problem is the antique library I built things on, "Allegro" and it's eternal beta cycle. I have decided to write my own GL, directinput and directsoundcode, which has been a slow process.
But things are ramping up again, and the fact that people are trying to use this hacked together emulator makes me want to work on it even more ;)

Look for test versions sometime this summer, with hopefully something nice coming soon.

BTW, Thanks for the youtube video, awsome large screen there!

Thanks!!!!!

I have found SDL much easier to work with than Allegro. The input stuff in SDL works well. Also, if you need any help with OpenGL, look at the Nehe tutorials.
Old, but not obsolete.

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:17 am »
So bummed.  I tried installing it, and when I either double-click aae.exe in Windows, or try to run it from the command prompt, I get the same error...

"Application failed to initialize properly (0xC0150002).  Click on OK to terminate the application."

I'm running Windows XP.  Any ideas?

I am also getting this error message.

I'm running on an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ with on board Nvidia 6150LE.  I'm using 64-bit XP and I have soft15khz installed.

I've gotten the emulator to run this same machine before changing to the 64 bit OS. 

Any ideas?  I've downloaded the C++ distributable thing, and it was no help.  Do I need any .net stuff installed?
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

richyrich888

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2013, 12:14:19 pm
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
Hi AAE ,

Good too hear your still working away at this excellent emu of yours, haven't popped in here for a while, but still looking forward to your next update.  :applaud:

-Rich.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2009, 09:39:45 pm »
I'll bump this up because I finally got around to trying this out as I have been jonesing for vectors lately -- bloody marvelous!

HV chatter option.  ;D

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Looking forward to the next version.

:cheers:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2009, 02:21:46 am »
Is there a way to edit the gamelist to only display certain games?

Also, is there a command line option to fire off just one game?

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2009, 04:00:01 pm »
I don't think there's an easy way to edit the gamelist, but I'm pretty sure there are command line options to launch a single game.  I use EmuLoader, so not sure what they are, but I believe it's mentioned in the documentation.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

DolansCadillac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2021, 05:51:14 pm
  • Can't buy a bucket
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2009, 12:49:32 pm »
Hey AAE, thanks for the emulator, I really like what you've done with it. I can't imagine going back to MAME to play Asteroids anymore. Unfortunately though I did some adjustments to my cab's setup recently and I think it might have triggered a couple of issues.

The first thing - I installed PPJoy to get Street Fighter 4 to behave with my controls, which is finally working as intended. I noticed afterwards though that AAE was erroring out (right at launch, before the screen mode changes even), and after checking AAE's log, it looks like it detects the two virtual joystick profiles, but it reports the second stick as having something like 145,000 axes (it reports the first properly with 0 axes). It looks like it then tries to catalog each and crashes. I tried adding and removing axes to both joystick's profiles, no difference. Removing both profiles from PPJoy's control panel applet fixes the problem and AAE will start. Is there a way to disable the joystick detection in the .ini?

The other I suspect is related to updating my video drivers recently - AAE now errors out with a message that the opengl_framebuffer_object is not supported by my card (which appears after it changes the display mode). The last line of the log is the 'Vsync is supported' note. No idea what could be triggering this. I'm running an Nvidia 8800GT, using the 182.50 driver with stock settings.

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2009, 01:20:22 pm »
Hi Can anyone tell me if an ATI Radeon HD4870 Powercolor HD4870/512M card will work??

Henrik

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »
Definitely should - I posted at the start of the thread that a 9200 won't work but a 9550 should, but you are several GENERATIONS beyond those cards.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

dirkomatic

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2023, 10:40:35 pm
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »
Being written in C using OpenGL, is it possible we could get the source or a compiled Linux version?

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2009, 02:43:30 am »
I have build a new pc (am3, DDR3) it has a build in graphics card Radeon HD 3200. Should the AAE run with this?

I (still) get the message (as on my old pc): ("Application failed to initialize properly (0xC0150002).  Click on OK to terminate the application.")

Drives me nuts. I use XP sp2.

PROBLEM SOLVED: INSTALLED A CHEAP card ( club  8400gs). The build in card had no open gl.

Henrik
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:42:03 am by Henrik68000 »

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2009, 06:46:28 am »
I would think it should - you should contact AAE about it.

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2009, 10:14:32 am »
I cant get the AAE to run fullscreen. Nomatter if 0 or 1 its windowed?

EDIT: SOLVED. First i edited the ini file. but this seems not to work. then used the GUI: Worked.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:57:11 am by Henrik68000 »

logan_58

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2009, 01:59:04 am
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 01:18:23 am »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew why when I use the 2nd patch I  get this error "aae.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".  I WANNA PLAY MAJOR HAVOC!!!  My PC has DX11 and I tried downgrading it to DX10 and it still doesn't work.  Tried the Omega drivers for my GeForce 8800 GT still nothing.  Tried booting into safe mode and turning off all startup items and no luck.  I can't imagine why the original release and the 1st patch work but not the 2nd one!  This is really strange...Help please!!!   :hissy:

logan5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2010, 11:00:31 pm
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2009, 05:37:26 pm »
OK, just in case anyone has the same problem I did, what I did was disconnect my two logitech joysticks and the 2nd patch worked.  Apparently the new patch adds peripheral support but could mess up any joysticks which are connected...

Gravitar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2013, 04:39:47 pm
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »
Sorry for bumping this old topic.

But there is no proper video of the AAE (as far as I know).

Check it out. I made a small YouTube video of the emulator. It can't make it justice as the resolution is rather low on the vid, but at least you'll see the features. Shots on Asteroids & Asteroids Deluxe look pretty authentic don't you think?

wolfi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 07:00:36 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »
look pretty authentic don't you think?

No, have you ever seen a vector game?

Take a look at this:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:55:39 pm by wolfi »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
look pretty authentic don't you think?

No, have you ever seen a vector game?

Take a look at this:

Have YOU ever seen a vector game?

The phosper glow is cranked up a tad more on AAE, but it's pretty darn accurate.  (Note to noobs, phosper glow doesn't show up well when filmed.)  I believe that setting is adjustable anyway. 

But regardless, looks are subjective so you should be a little more respectful even if you disagree.  ;)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:39 pm »
Video quality of both vids suck ass. (And that dude is annoying.) Having played with AAE and all, I echo Howard. Given the display technology (LCD or CRT, and I use the latter) AAE looks really good.
-Banned-

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »
Well, my opinion is that "pretty authentic" is a pretty good description of AAE - compared to all other emulators I have ever seen.
Yes, I can have my Vectrex next to the PC monitor and see that it is not a perfect emulation of a true vector monitor, but again - probably as close as we get right now. To bad it isn't supported or maintained anymore.

I would love to see it supported by the MAME Hooker as well for light outputs...
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Gravitar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:00 pm »
Inded. "Wolfi" sounds like a real jackass...

I grew up with the vector games, owned a Vectrex and I know how they're supposed to look.

But beggars can't be choosers... AAE is the best substitute.

PS: I try to make better video with better settings & better vid quality later.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2012, 08:45:52 am »
Sorry for my cluelessness on what has probably been discussed elsewhere, but what happened with this one?  Did the author just move on to other things in life and lose interest in the project?  Nothing bad happened I hope.  If the project has been abandoned but the author is still around perhaps he'd release the source code to the community if it's not available already?

Gravitar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »
Sorry for my cluelessness on what has probably been discussed elsewhere, but what happened with this one?  Did the author just move on to other things in life and lose interest in the project?  Nothing bad happened I hope.  If the project has been abandoned but the author is still around perhaps he'd release the source code to the community if it's not available already?

He already released the source code.

Here it is:
http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/aae/

Topic:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106287.0

PS: The problem with capturing AAE properly on video is the low 800 x 600 resolution it uses. It doesn't transform very well into a full screen video, especially after YouTube decreases the quality even more (with its automatic compression).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:07:50 pm by Gravitar »

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04:47 am »
The problem with capturing AAE properly on video is the low 800 x 600 resolution it uses. It doesn't transform very well into a full screen video, especially after YouTube decreases the quality even more (with its automatic compression).

AAE can go beyond 1024x768. I would use a camera anyway, like so:

Edit: note that video was 720x480 because I hadn't set my camera to it's max of 1280x720 [@30fps!], so that was low res and slower motion, and still looked killer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:44:09 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »
Anyone have a working rom set for AAE, as cant get current mame roms to work

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »
Anyone have a working rom set for AAE, as cant get current mame roms to work

PM me your email.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:09:52 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

Nightbring3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 04:27:31 pm
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
So has anyone ever gotten his code to compile?

Gravitar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2012, 07:44:59 am »

Nightbring3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:00 pm »
Oh, I know it's been released, I was just curious if anyone has ever gotten it to compile and run. I've never heard of anyone actually doing anything with Tim's code despite the fact that it's been in the wild for quite some time. Of course the "licensing" is kinda sketchy so I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to release anything.

I wasn't able to compile either version he posted, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it.  I'm not exactly a Windows programmer though so me not getting it up and ready doesn't mean anything.

Gravitar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
It'd be great if someone just added a mouse support for Star Wars, added The Empire Strikes Back and fixed all high score saves. They work in some games, some are not working.

That would be just perfect.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2012, 12:46:32 am »
It'd be great if someone just added a mouse support for Star Wars, added The Empire Strikes Back and fixed all high score saves. They work in some games, some are not working.

That would be just perfect.

You don't want mouse support for Star Wars. That would just be gay. But I think I understand your intention: get at least decent looking video and still slog over controls.

ESB just blows chunks. And hiscore support is nice but a little whimisical.

The crucial element in AAE is controls support.
-Banned-

Nightbring3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2012, 02:09:40 am »
I didn't even notice ESB was missing. Adding it should be trivial assuming someone can get it to compile. I haven't had enough time to do more than add in the Allegro libraries, but I do have some concern that the source released might not be in a usable state even if it compiles. The released source is newer than Update #2.

I'm most interested in seeing mouse input work correctly (so tempest is playable), fixing some of the crashes and the 25 minute screen blank and then adding games. Better handling of odd or vertical screen resolutions and high score save would be nice too!

Not holding out any hopes though. That source has been out there for awhile and I haven't heard of anyone doing anything with it.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »
Would it not be easier to add the filter that this uses to give the vector glow effect to MAME???

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »
Would it not be easier to add the filter that this uses to give the vector glow effect to MAME???

There are tons of things that could be better and easier to do in MAME. But as long as those activities are not considered "right" it will not happen. I'm not trying to bash the MAME devs, since we owe so much to them. But sometimes it feels a bit frustrating. The "gear shifter issue" is another good example... The worst thing is that they aren't consistent. Sometimes everything is done only to "preserve" the game as it was intended to run. Sometimes it is tweaked to be convenient for people playing on a gamepad...
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2012, 06:27:41 pm »
There is a grave misconception there. 

For the most part the mame devs are ok with additions like the one mentioned.  People just misunderstand their reluctance to do the jobs themselves with them not allowing changes to the source. 

The reason shifters are in the state they are is because nobody is willing to fix them properly (note the properly part... people often get frustrated when their hacked up code is rejected because it's.... well hacked up).

A few of the core mame devs have stated that the vector rendering could be much improved in mame.... that doesn't mean they are going to do it though.

All of that being said... the new hlsl effects are quite powerful and can do a lot more than just simulate low dot pitch.... I think somebody that knows what they are doing could write a good glow effect script for mame.