Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opti-wiz plus STC/Ultimarc trackball - RESOLVED  (Read 4053 times)

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
Opti-wiz plus STC/Ultimarc trackball - RESOLVED
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
Do I have a problem with my Opti-wiz?

(By the way, if this is all covered in the documentation I apologise; I cant Read The F.M. for the Opti-wiz because I can't find one online, and wasn't provided any paperwork with the spinner by my Local Aussie GGG Reseller.)

I've just wired an Ultimarc 2.25" trackball to the Opti-wiz stuck alongside my TurboTwist (version 1). 

I've altered the spinner from X to Z axis, and once plugged in (USB), shows up as a HID mouse and behaves just like a scrollwheel.  But nothing from the trackball.

I found this page which is actually troubleshooting for the Opti-pac, but had some multimeter-related suggestions at the very bottom which I tried on the Opti-wiz.

I am getting 5.06V between both sets of "G, +5" pins, and a variable voltage from around 0.5V to 5V (depending on the position of the spinner) between G and ZA or ZB, just like the Opti-pac help indicated.  But nothing on the X or Y axes. Should there be something across G and XA , etc?

In case I'm barking completely up the wrong tree, here's how I've wired the trackball to the Opti-wiz.  Anything stupid in there I've missed?

Any advice very welcome.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:43:36 am by shock_ »

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: Trouble with Opti-wiz plus Ultimarc trackball?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:43 am »
After the overwhelming queue of responses visible above :P I've PMed Randy from GGG who thought the problem might be a lack of a pull-up resistor for this trackball, and advised checking with Andy from Ultimarc.

Andy got back to me today (on a weekend no less) and confirmed that a 2.2k pull-up resistor is probably required on each of the signal lines to play nicely with the Opti-wiz. 

Tomorrow I will try to secure said ohms and will report back for the benefit of our children's children who will no doubt be attempting this unusual electronic alchemy in years to come.

Thanks Randy and Andy! Fingers crossed...

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:39:49 am »
Andy got back to me today (on a weekend no less) and confirmed that a 2.2k pull-up resistor is probably required on each of the signal lines to play nicely with the Opti-wiz.

Excellent response there, from both Andy at Ultimarc and Randy at Groovy Game Gear. That's the sort of quality customer service that you can always rely on from both of those guys. I'm always thouroughly impressed with their attitude. Even when it comes to getting each others products to work together like this.   
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Five Star Rating for both of them.

If only certain other companies behaved this way.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
Agreed - top notch vendors.

Sadly I have had no luck tonight getting the trackball to behave, however.

I've done one axis and tested, but no luck.  Same wiring as before but now with the addition of one resistor bridging the X1 green to VCC red, and another from X2 yellow to the same red.  When connected to the GGG and receiving power, the meter reports voltages between 0.1 and 2.4 (depending on where I swivel the ball) across GND and the X1 or X2, but still nothing apparent as far as Windows is concerned.  The spinner on the same Opti-wiz is axis Z and is scrolling long web pages happily.

:'( 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:46:25 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:49:27 am »

Try going down to a 2k resistor and let me know what happens.

RandyT

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:10:24 pm »
Any luck yet?
I b**ch. People listen!!

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »
Haven't had a chance to do more testing yet.  RandyT has suggested a 2K0 resistor, and Andy thought perhaps a 1K0.  I've bought both and will try and rig up a test board (soldering directly to my harness is driving me nuts) - but in the meantime, my first new PC in over three years arrived yesterday so I'm setting up my new toy!

I'll be out of town this weekend (please, nobody rip off my house okay) so I might not get a chance to progress this until early next week.

RandyT

• Online Online
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:24 pm »
Haven't had a chance to do more testing yet.  RandyT has suggested a 2K0 resistor, and Andy thought perhaps a 1K0.

In a case like this, it's usually good to "creep" downward until you get stable operation.  With the 2.2k, you were very close to what would be considered a "logic high", so it shouldn't take much more for it to start working.  Resistors are cheap, so trying a few different values is not cost prohibitive.  Also, if you aren't already, only test on one axis and when you get reliable operation, then use the same value resistors on the other.

RandyT

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:00:42 pm »
Yep, one axis is what I've been trying.  No patience for two :)

Was thinking I'll grab a bunch of low value resistors and place them in series to find the sweet spot if I need to, as well.

RandyT

• Online Online
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 05:05:36 pm »
Was thinking I'll grab a bunch of low value resistors and place them in series to find the sweet spot if I need to, as well.

That will probably be overkill :)  If you are grabbing resistors, just grab four of each value in couple hundred K steps, work your way through them and use the highest value that works without jitter.

Keep me posted.

RandyT

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 06:08:20 pm »
Cheers again for all the help.

Keep me posted.

Will do ... and you keep hacking, the natives are getting restless!!

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 01:42:28 am »
:woot Success!

Bought a little reusable breadboard and rigged up the 2.2K resistors just to satisfy myself I wasn't crazy last time.  Swapped in 2.0K and it worked!!

;D

Also tried Andy's suggestion of 1K, which also worked but very very slowly.  It's all voodoo to me but sounds consistent with Randy's thoughts earlier about logic highs and what-not.

I've rewired the harness to include the resistors (they now live inside the backshell of one of the D9 plugs in my crazy detatchable control panel monstrosity) and playtested with Marble Madness on the laptop I'm writing this on.

Enormous thanks again to RandyT and Andy for their cooperative help and general electronics guru-ness.  Everyone should remember to stuff their stockings, and those of family and friends, with Groovy Game Gear and Ultimarc products this festive season - even if you don't need any!!

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
Re: Opti-wiz plus STC/Ultimarc trackball - RESOLVED
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 11:02:49 am »
Glad yo got it working.  Those two guys know what customer service is all about.
I b**ch. People listen!!