Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: getting good sound from my cab  (Read 2744 times)

wee beastie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2003, 03:33:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
getting good sound from my cab
« on: May 06, 2003, 02:25:24 pm »
OK, here's the deal.  My cab is completed (more or less).  But you guys understand that you never really "finish."  So, I made a list of what annoyed me the most about my cab and started working on it.  

Anyway, on to the real problem.  My cab has a 3 speaker system.  A sub and two speaker units.  They sounded great when I first got them.  In the process of building my cab, I disassembled the 2 speaker units so that they could be mounted into a "soundboard" (the piece of wood just under the marquee that holds the speakers).  Anyway, since disassembling the speakers and placing them in the soundboard, my sound has been tinny (too much trebble).  I'm not an idiot.  I knew that removing the speakers from their casing would eliminate some bass.  To tell you the truth, no one really notices the sound except for me.  But I'm a perfectionist.  Do you know of any ways to either 1) turn down the volume on those speakers and not the sub (ie can I just put a small resistor in there) or 2) thru some sort of construction add bass back to my speakers?  Can I just seal around the speakers with some sort of cement to get a tighter fit, etc?  

Let me know your thoughts

MilitiaMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2011, 09:25:35 am
  • It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.
Re:getting good sound from my cab
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 03:34:40 pm »
OK, here's the deal.  My cab is completed (more or less).  But you guys understand that you never really "finish."  So, I made a list of what annoyed me the most about my cab and started working on it.  

Anyway, on to the real problem.  My cab has a 3 speaker system.  A sub and two speaker units.  They sounded great when I first got them.  In the process of building my cab, I disassembled the 2 speaker units so that they could be mounted into a "soundboard" (the piece of wood just under the marquee that holds the speakers).  Anyway, since disassembling the speakers and placing them in the soundboard, my sound has been tinny (too much trebble).  I'm not an idiot.  I knew that removing the speakers from their casing would eliminate some bass.  To tell you the truth, no one really notices the sound except for me.  But I'm a perfectionist.  Do you know of any ways to either 1) turn down the volume on those speakers and not the sub (ie can I just put a small resistor in there) or 2) thru some sort of construction add bass back to my speakers?  Can I just seal around the speakers with some sort of cement to get a tighter fit, etc?  

Let me know your thoughts

Not 100% sure if this will work, but back in my car stereo days, we used to buy little capacitor "thingies" -- I am sure there is a technical term -- that would silence different types of sound from coming to a speaker.

Specifically, we were trying to remove bass signals from coming to our tweeters and distorting them. I am sure you can find one that will do the same for reducing the treble to your speakers. I am certain we got them at Radio Shack.

Someone much more savvy than I will probably post a link to the exact item I am referring to, so be on the lookout fo that ... in the meantime, I hope this information is helpful.

MM

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 03:38:18 pm »
I don't think your system need bass for the small spkrs since you already have a subwoofer.  What you are hearing is most likely due to the lack of enclosure and the vibration of the sound board that the speakers are mounted to.  

I would suggest the following if possible.

Stiffen the mounting board and enclose the speakers.  By building small boxes around the speakers out of a dense material such as MDF you will probably also stiffen the mounting board when you mount them.  You can also line the inside of these enclosures with fibreglass to dampen out vibration. You might also want to make sure that nothing else in the area is vibrating such as the marquee or its mounting pieces.

I would NOT suggest the following.

The speakers are probably 4 or 8 ohm and depending on the wattage of your system you can use a Tpad to reduce the volume if the above does not work.   Tpad is basically a volume control.   A fixed 4 ohm resistor in series will probably do the same thing (wattage dependent on wattage of speaker system)  a 10Watt power resistor would probably a safe bet.

Summary:

I think overall you will get better sound by physical changes to the mounting then by reducing their volume.  They will then be tinny and weak.

BobA

Just noticed (400 posts) ;D
only 1597 to go.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 03:42:47 pm by BobA »

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 04:21:16 pm »
What militaman is talking about is a passive crossover. You can pick them up at radioshack or make one yourself. http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/crossover.html

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2006, 12:01:12 am
  • But then again, that's just one man's opinion.
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 07:44:09 pm »
What you could try is turning down the treble in windows or via DOS mixer (comes with SB cards).

Odonadon
It's Captain Odonadon, and his magical bag of nuts.