Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Transporting large cabinet.  (Read 2572 times)

my58vw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2010, 01:22:43 pm
Transporting large cabinet.
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:52:23 am »
Hello arcade controls

In a few weeks I will need to transport home a large beatmania cabinet that I am purchasing about 1100 miles away.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Beatmania6thmix.jpg

http://www.arcade-history.com/pages/mini_cabinet.php?fi=3507.jpg&nl=160&nh=237

(This is not the same cabinet, but just like the one I am transporting)

The top marque section can come off, and with the marque on top on it is 6.5 feet (77 inches) tall, and weighs about 500 pounds. I am planning on bringing it is an uhaul trailer pulled by the jeep patroit. What would be the best way to get it in the trailer, and home.

Another option is an open ramp trailer which I can stand the arcade cabinet up and drive it that way.

BTW I have one other person helping getting into the trailer, and maybe 2 more to get it out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:59:40 am by my58vw »

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Transporting large cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:02:28 am »
Having help move a beatmania, I can say that, assuming everything is screwed down properly, there's no problem putting it on its back or side and just transporting it like you might any other cabinet.  I've moved a para para in the bed of a pickup with the stage in a minivan, worked fine.  beatmania got moved in a large commecial van ("white van man" style) on its back.

Basically, get a vehicle big enough and chuck it in there.  If possible, try to secure it in some way (especially in a pickup), but in most cases you can just go easy on the driving.

To move the cabinet itself around, find a dolly that's of a reasonable size and put the cabinet on it.  Be sure to use a strap to secure it to the dolly.  The cabinet will have casters, but they're really only useful on hard floors, concrete, or level carpeting.  Getting it into the trailer might present a hassle depending on how high it is.  If it's sufficiently low, tip the cabinet back into the trailer and then push it in.  2 people probably won't be enough to just lift and carry a full size beatmania (though possibly a mini).

That said, if it's 1100 miles away, just call up the North American Van Lines high value division.  There's a gal who specializes in setting up arcade moves.  NAVL has STI move it, and they do a very good job.  In the end, it'll probably cost you no more than renting a truck and paying for gas, and somebody else will handle it for you.  They'll even help you move it into your residence if no stairs are involved.

Are you by chance purchasing this from an arcade in Bloomington, IN?

my58vw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:18:29 am »
American Van Lines wants way more than I can pick it up for (over 800 dollars!) where I can pick it up for about 400 - 450 dollars including the trailer and gas/hotel for two nights. The UHAUL Trailers are very low, lower than a pickup bed. I thought of tipping it onto the back over the edge of the trailer onto a piano dolly, then getting a few guys to lift the end of the cabinet up onto another set of rollers and then roll it in.

Here is the trailer

http://www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/~agraham/move2005/images/2packing%20uhaul%201.jpg

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:37:31 am »
That price seems unusually high.  It should be in the realm of $550-700.  I just had a full size beatmaniaIIDX shipped from Washington state to Indiana for way less and IIDX is way bigger than regular beatmania, is heavier, and it's two pieces.  I know you can ship a Pump It Up (similar to DDR) machine for about what you're quoting, and that's two very large pieces (full size cabinet plus the stages stacked on a pallet).  Factor in all that time spent driving (even at a really low value), and I'm guessing you come out ahead, but whatever you wish to do is your choice. 

Is this a mini or a full-size beatmania?  Where's it coming from and going to?  If it's a mini core remix from Bloomington, IN, then I'm very, very familiar with the machine :)

my58vw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:49:45 am »
It is a "the final" that was upgraded from complete mix 2, and includes the cm2, 6th mix, and 4th mix from a personal bemani collector in Washington that is moving and needs to downsize a bit.

The cabinet is going from Olympia Washington to Riverside California

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:13:18 pm »
Well, if it's a mini, you have a good find.  Minis in the USA aren't very common.  People often end up with them by accident, rather than actively seeking them.  I asked because I know of a Core Remix mini in Bloomington, IN that should be for sale, though it may already be sold.

As far as shipping it, I can't believe NAVL would charge over $800 to move a beatmania from Washington state to anywhere in California.  That's about what it costs to move a DDR/PIU from Cali to the midwest, and DDR/PIU is much, much bigger and the distance more than twice as far.  I picked up a MK2 from Michigan (I was in northern Indianapolis at the time) myself, and that really only cost less because I didn't have to rent a vehicle (it fit in a minivan).  NAVL quote for that was about $300.

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:08:13 pm »
Perhaps a different division of the shipping co. is qhoting him a different rate.

Shartzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2022, 08:44:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 08:44:47 am »
Why not just hire a moving company to get it for you? I'm not sure I'd be willing to put in 2,000 miles round trip and drive a trailer both ways. Are you planning to drive 1100 miles in one day? If so, where are you parking/storing it overnight? Too many variables and too much work. I bought a game last year that was just 600 miles away and had a moving company (https://threemovers.com/) do it all for me. Cost a little more sure, but I didn't have to bother with all that and burn a couple days off hauling it myself. Well worth it in my opinion.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:19:55 am »
15 year old bump for that?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 03:34:12 pm »
15 year old bump for that?

Well, it's a long journey. And a heavy cab. Maybe he's a slow driver and half way on the return leg?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 01:34:49 pm »
ZOMBIE THREAD WANT BRAIIIINS