Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotating monitor construction *Project finished*  (Read 61750 times)

weisshaupt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 05:54:45 pm
    • The Ghost in the Machine Project Thread
Re: Rotating monitor construction *Project finished*
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »
Congrats on getting this finished. Looks great!

Did loadman write a new program that made it more customizable, or is it the same one you had before?

“A government ... cannot have the right of altering itself. If it had, it would be arbitrary. It might make itself what it pleased; and wherever such a right is set up, it shews there is no constitution” - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:04 am »
There you go!  Good work on that!  Good use of those bearings as well.  Some questions:

1.  Can you elaborate a bit more about the chain/sprocket combo?  How did you mount the chain to the side of the disk?  Where does one acquire these chains and sprockets?  Probably a bit much for a hobby motor, eh?

2.  I see you went with the MDF wheel.  Decided that the pressure from the bearings wouldn't indent the unit?

3.  Any chance of getting a YouTube vid posted :D

Thanks!
-csa

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:44 pm »
Congrats on getting this finished. Looks great!

Did loadman write a new program that made it more customizable, or is it the same one you had before?

Thanks Weisshaupt.
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from Cancun Mexico, and yes, the weather was perfect..

Loadman made a plugin for Mala that will call the program I made.
It passes a 0 or a 90 with the run command, based on which way the game needs the monitor turned.
I wrote the program called mrotate.exe.
I plan to use this program with other front ends too, such as Glaunch (a man never forgets his first love, right?)
I plan to write an interface program for glaunch.
My program has a GUI which the user can choose inputs and outputs, also time limits, and braking control.
Also I have started on assigning up to two outputs as lights, in case anyone wants to turn on an led while the monitor is rotating. You can also choose which action the light will take, such as blink or on steady..
I got a couple of bugs that need to be worked out, maybe now that Im back home I can pick up where I left off on it.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2008, 09:40:34 pm »
There you go!  Good work on that!  Good use of those bearings as well.  Some questions:

1.  Can you elaborate a bit more about the chain/sprocket combo?  How did you mount the chain to the side of the disk?  Where does one acquire these chains and sprockets?  Probably a bit much for a hobby motor, eh?

2.  I see you went with the MDF wheel.  Decided that the pressure from the bearings wouldn't indent the unit?

3.  Any chance of getting a YouTube vid posted :D

Thanks!
-csa

Thanks CSA, that means a lot to me..
Sorry about the late reply. (see above reply to Weisshaupt.)

1. The chain is a number 25, which I bought off allelectronics.com.
I think it is 2 foot length.
I attached it to the edge of the mdf disk with a screw in each end of the chain.
I also put two small screws on either side about halfway up the chain. These keep it from sliding off the edge of the mdf.
This was someone else's idea, I really need to go back in the posts and give proper credit.
The sprocket I also got from allelectronics. It is a #25 (cant remember the number of teeth.)
It is nylon. This might be a bad thing. While I was setting it all up, the mdf disk got caught on something and the sprocket slipped on the chain for a few seconds until I could get to the power switch. This wore the teeth down some. I think I will try to see if I can find a metal sprocket.

2. Yes I used MDF and roller skate bearings. I coated the perimeter (edge) of the MDF disk with CPVC glue. It dried to a very hard finish. Im not sure how it will wear over time, but so far no visible signs of denting at all.

3. I have never posted anything to You Tube, but I will see what I can do.

I had to carve up Benny B's Arcade some to get the unit to fit, so Im kinda ashamed to show it right now, but I may anyway, if I can figure out how to do it.

Here is a previously posted picture of the chain. Maybe you can blow it up and see more how I did it. I will try to get better pics later..

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:48:03 pm by DaOld Man »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2008, 01:30:59 pm »
My program has a GUI which the user can choose inputs and outputs, also time limits, and braking control.
Also I have started on assigning up to two outputs as lights, in case anyone wants to turn on an led while the monitor is rotating. You can also choose which action the light will take, such as blink or on steady..
I got a couple of bugs that need to be worked out, maybe now that Im back home I can pick up where I left off on it.

So your program is command line driven? Does "braking control" mean PWM? I guess my question goes more to "Should I withdraw my MALA Plugin?" Is sounds like yours is going to do everything mine does, be more flexible, will have a nice GUI (as opposed  to my text file driven confg) and could be used with multiple emulators..  (Emulaxian/3Darcade would want to send you a 3x4 or a 4x3 instead of 0 and 90)

I would rather see the community settle on a "standard" method and having multiple programs that do the same thing would be detrimental to that.

p.s. Why do you want to turn on an LED during rotation? Just as a test mechanism? (I  set one up on my bread board for that reason)
“A government ... cannot have the right of altering itself. If it had, it would be arbitrary. It might make itself what it pleased; and wherever such a right is set up, it shews there is no constitution” - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2008, 02:50:42 pm »

So your program is command line driven? Does "braking control" mean PWM? I guess my question goes more to "Should I withdraw my MALA Plugin?" Is sounds like yours is going to do everything mine does, be more flexible, will have a nice GUI (as opposed  to my text file driven confg) and could be used with multiple emulators..  (Emulaxian/3Darcade would want to send you a 3x4 or a 4x3 instead of 0 and 90)

I would rather see the community settle on a "standard" method and having multiple programs that do the same thing would be detrimental to that.

p.s. Why do you want to turn on an LED during rotation? Just as a test mechanism? (I  set one up on my bread board for that reason)

So your program is command line driven?
The following commands will do this:
mrotate = opens GUI, allows user to setup or change things.
mrotate 0 =runs the program in the background, rotating monitor to horizontal.
mrotate 90 =runs the program in the background, rotating monitor to vertical.

Does "braking control" mean PWM?
No, I decided not to go with PWM, although I could probably include if anyone wants it.
mrotate allows users to choose two ways of stopping the motor. (1) Apply both directions on for a set amount of time, and (2) turn off a relay which disconnects the motor from the drive and "shorts" the motor leads together, applying dynamic braking by using the motor as a generator while it is coasting.

"Should I withdraw my MALA Plugin?"
No, I dont think so. Your method works great with the small hobby motor that you guys use. Dont kill it just because there are other methods to do this. Let people decide what is best for them. It would be a shame to give up on the work you have put into it. This program was not made to take the place of yours. I have been working on this concept for a long time, it's just my baby I guess.

"(Emulaxian/3Darcade would want to send you a 3x4 or a 4x3 instead of 0 and 90)"
So are you saying instead of mrotate 0 I would need mrotate 4x3? I will need to modify my program to do this, but it shouldnt be a big deal. look for either 0 or 3x4 and either 90 or 4x3.

"I would rather see the community settle on a "standard" method and having multiple programs that do the same thing would be detrimental to that. "
Im all for that.

"Why do you want to turn on an LED during rotation?"
Well, it is purely optional, but someone may want an led to come on to indicate that the monitor is turning in the proper direction.
You can use one or two LEDs connected to the printer port outputs.
You can have each led flash in both directions, stay on solid in both directions, or do the same for just one direction, while the monitor is turning. It just adds a little pizazz to your control panel.
You can also alternately flash the two LEDS for a few seconds if you get an error, such as monitor timed out before making the limit switch.
Im not using this feature, but it's nice to know it's there if I want it.

In the GUI mode, you can also assign outputs for degauss and monitor off relays.
You can also assign a button on the control panel as a stop button, to turn off all outputs if something is not going right.  Im using ESCAPE. (This was very handy while I was setting up the mechanics of the monitor.)

Here is a screen shot of the LED section:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
And here is a screenshot of the braking section:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:34 pm »
While Im on a roll here,
here is a screenshot of the diagnostic log. mrotate keeps 3 logs of when it ran.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2008, 03:09:58 pm »
Here is a screenshot of the stop button option:

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2008, 01:54:27 am »

far out! good work. too technical for me. i really thought id want to have software rotate my monitor, but i think ill stick to my on-on toggle for now  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2008, 04:06:20 pm »

far out! good work. too technical for me. i really thought id want to have software rotate my monitor, but i think ill stick to my on-on toggle for now  ;D

Actually the programtic stuff that I and DaOldMan have done was the hard part.. All you would need to do is add the bits and pieces to get a +5V (almost no amp) signal to activate your switch... A single transistor system should be enough to buffer that for a relay, and most h-bridges should accept that as a logic signal...

And of course, those of us who have done it are happy to help out... I can't tell you how cool it is for this to happen automatically..

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2008, 05:41:03 am »

actually, my motor is small enough that i can use a power transistor. two. but on the software side, i had trouble setting up mame32 when i first tried mame! so i suspect id be pulling my hair out...

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:11 pm »

actually, my motor is small enough that i can use a power transistor. two. but on the software side, i had trouble setting up mame32 when i first tried mame! so i suspect id be pulling my hair out...

You may want to look into using Mala.. its pretty easy to set up and either mine or DaOldMan's/Loadmans plugin do all of the hard stuff for you.  All you have to do is wire up 2 pins from your pallallel port (don't have one, PCI cards are $10)  to your power transistors and the thing should just work...

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:03 pm »
You will also need to wire the limit switches to the parallel port (2 more pins).
You have 8 outputs and 5 inputs available, so there are many options you can do.
If you are thinking of doing this (which sounds to me like you are not), I would suggest you read this thread and the others about rotating monitors all the way through.
Good luck, and like Weisshaupt said, if you need help, feel free to ask.

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »
You will also need to wire the limit switches to the parallel port (2 more pins).

I was kinda assuming that he had the limit switches already done (they cut off the power to the Transistors or whatever)  My first program turned on the port and left it on, and I had a hardware solution to do the limits...  You can basically do the same thing with my plug in by setting an appropriate timeout -- I assume its much the same with yours..

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2008, 07:50:42 pm »
Yes, it's basically the same.
I have a SPDT microswitch to tell when the end of travel is reached. (Two switches actually, one for CW and the other for CCW).

The switch turns off the input to the H drive, and at the same time turns on an input into the parallel printer port.
This effectively "kills" the H Drive, even if the printer output sticks on, but it also allows my program to monitor the rotation. This allows me to do a lot more with the software.
Using the switches in this manner was an idea first mentioned by Koz319. (At least I first heard of it from him.)
Hey, my memory is starting to come back.. The Mexican tequila must be wearing off.. LOL.
Maybe I can give proper credit to others now..

Side note: If anyone is interested in building a rotating monitor, you need to check out how Koz319 did it.
I got the plans to build the H drive from his site.
Also his software is very similar to mine, except mine has the fancy smancy GUI..
Koz319's site:
Koz319

Of course weisshaupt did a bang up job too:
Ghost in the machine
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:52:39 pm by DaOld Man »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2008, 04:47:36 am »

I was kinda assuming that he had the limit switches already done (they cut off the power to the Transistors or whatever)  My first program turned on the port and left it on, and I had a hardware solution to do the limits...  You can basically do the same thing with my plug in by setting an appropriate timeout -- I assume its much the same with yours..

well, thats exactly what i need! limit switches stop the monitor and reverse polarity of motor for next rotation. i would just need a signal switched on and left on for one direction, then another signal and left on for the other direction. no time outs or anything needed. ill have my cab here by early next month (its in another state). maybe ill get some balls and give it a shot! mala works with win98 i imagine...

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:07 am »
Quote from: danny_galaga link=topic=72750.msg843494#msg843494

well, thats exactly what i need! limit switches stop the monitor and reverse polarity of motor for next rotation. i would just need a signal switched on and left on for one direction, then another signal and left on for the other direction. no time outs or anything needed.

Then you may want to check out this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=72380.msg746859#msg746859

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2008, 05:50:59 am »

ah yes. i think i remember reading that thread too. my circuit doesnt need diodes, but it relies on a double pole single throw switch

now i think about it, my circuit is quite simple as is, but to modify that circuit with transistors would be messy. i guess i can use a change over relay in place of the switch which will only need one signal- on/off.

of course, once i get my cab here, i have to make it work again first...

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
You should be dancing... Yeah!
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:57 am »
Oops!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:51:32 am by Blanka »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2008, 11:08:38 am »

ah yes. i think i remember reading that thread too. my circuit doesnt need diodes, but it relies on a double pole single throw switch

now i think about it, my circuit is quite simple as is, but to modify that circuit with transistors would be messy. i guess i can use a change over relay in place of the switch which will only need one signal- on/off.

of course, once i get my cab here, i have to make it work again first...

Yes, I have read your first posts about your circuit. Very simple and should be a good way to go for manual only control.
You could use a relay to do the same, by swapping the switch with a DPDT relay.
I first thought about the notion of using one printer port output to rotate the monitor.
Output on, turn CW, output off, turn CCW.
But this method has some major drawbacks.
First that comes to mind is that if the output turns off for any reason, when it should be on, your monitor will take off.
Windows does crazy things with printer port outputs, and Ive seen different things on different computers.
I agree with Weisshaupts argument about using his or mine software.
You could also very easily use two relays as the drive. You can turn on the relays from the printer port via transistors of opto isolators.
Either of our programs doesnt have to see the limit switches, you can set each to turn off after a certain amount of time. But again, this has a few drawbacks too, but should work.
Anyway, good luck with your project and please keep us informed..

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: You should be dancing... Yeah!
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:21 am »
Oops!

yeah I know.
I missed my calling..
 :laugh2: