Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV question using DVI-to-component.  (Read 1670 times)

evitagen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2016, 10:43:40 am
TV question using DVI-to-component.
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:41:48 am »
Here is my dilemma:  I'm using a 25" TV in my cabinet using S-video straight to my videocard that supports it.  Everything works perfectly fine this way.

However I want to add a Dreamcast to my cab and have it on a different input, but the only other input is a component one.  I don't think they even make Dreamcast component cables so I was going to instead use a DVI-to-component adapter and hook up the PC to the TV from the DVI port straight to the component.

I do this and it shows nothing on the screen at all.  I switch back to S-video and it shows perfectly.

Is there something I'm completely clueless on(Obviously) that I'm not understanding here?  The adapter I used it this:  http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-10ft.asp   except I bought mine on ebay for way cheaper.

I'm just trying to be able to have both my Dreamcast and PC hooked to the TV at the same time but I'm having trouble seeing as how I only have two inputs(S-video and component).

Any help would be appreciated.  I hope I elaborated enough on my problem.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:52:53 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
Re: TV question using DVI-to-component.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:25:01 am »
Afaik those cables only work with 9000-series radeon cards and some of the first X-series radeons.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:45:09 pm »
A lot of graphics card's S-Video ports double as component video ports.  Look at the port itself, do you see 4, 7 or 9 pin sockets in the female end on the graphics card?

Most cards fit all 4 pins from the s-video cable but have 3 other pin sockets.  It's to allow alternate video output cables like this:

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/catalog/6912%20Pkgs.jpg

Some cards have 9 pin connectors, similar cable works.  These cables are not frequently sold with the cards but are available from the OEMs and third parties.

evitagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:50:57 pm »
Thank you for that reply.

You're right about my "S-video" port on the videocard side.

I guess I basically just bought the wrong cable.  I thought I could go component by using a DVI-to-component cable instead, but it doesn't work.  Guess I have to use the "s-video" port through the videocard in order to use my component.

What are those cables called exactly so I can find a cheap one on ebay?

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:53:32 pm »
Uhh 'ATi Component Output Cable' or Nvidia, whoever makes'em.  I'm unsure of the component cables for one company's card would work with another.  Also check to see if your card uses a 7pin or 9pin connector.

evitagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:44 pm »
Thanks for that information my friend.  Very helpful and I appreciate it.

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:15 pm »
Also make sure you have the right cable for the right card...ATI component out cables for their 7/9 pin ports don't generally work on Nvidia and vice versa.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

evitagen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »
So I guess to determine whether or not I have a 7 or 9 pin I simply count them, right?

I do have an ATI, by the way.

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »
Yes count them...but the 9pin ATI isn't going to necessarily be compatible with a 9pin Nvidia.  However, based on my testing (I have an 8800gtx and some older ATI cards X1650 for example) the newer cards are mostly compatible.

So if you have 9 pins for example this cable will work for you:

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=01779&rsite=01779

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials