Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotating Monitor - Automatic Control (how I did it)  (Read 7739 times)

koz319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2013, 12:13:45 pm
  • So much time, so little to do.
Rotating Monitor - Automatic Control (how I did it)
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »

It seems like some people are interested in adding a rotating monitor to their cab, but get a little stuck when trying to figure out how to control it through software.

A few years ago,  I built my cab with a rotating monitor, and interfaced it to the parallel port of the PC so Mame can automatically rotate the screen to the correct orientation.  I've tried to gather some of the info I used and stuff it into a quick web page.   

Certainly the method I used is not the only way to do this, but it may be helpful to someone.  Please just forgive my complete lack of HTML skill :)

I don't have a URL yet, but you can access the page at:

http://206.113.145.82

Hope it may be useful,

Koz

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Rotating Monitor - Automatic Control (how I did it)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:50:09 pm »
Way too cool..... excellent engineering and functionality throughout.    :cheers:
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:33 pm »
Great work.  Lots of detail so anyone should be able to apply your method to their setup if they are into a bit of circuit fabrication.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:34 pm »
completely awesome.  Thanks for all the details such as part numbers, examples you used, and ways to purchase an "i'm a dummy" version as well.  When you're completed with all the updates you say, I vote we get Saint to mirror this information here at arcadecontrols.com so it doesn't vanish accidentally.

-csa

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:46:39 pm »
 :o :notworthy: Amazing!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 05:50:38 am »
Great stuff :)   :cheers:

I can see myself making good use of this!  :applaud:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:52:08 am »
Wow!
This site is great!
I wish you had posted this a week or two ago, it would have saved me a lot of work trying to figure out a decent relay solution, plus I was still wondering how I was going to do this through the software.
Do you have links to any of your other projects?
 :applaud:
 :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:06:06 am »
The more I think about it the more certain I am that I'll be rotating the monitor in my next build.  I just need to think of a way that you can't see the circle or notice that it rotates before it happens...

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:33 am »
Great stuff, thanks for posting this!

The more I think about it the more certain I am that I'll be rotating the monitor in my next build.  I just need to think of a way that you can't see the circle or notice that it rotates before it happens...

You could mount it behind smoked glass. The circuitry is there to allow one, with the use of a few relays, to turn off power to the monitor while it rotates.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:37:20 am »

Another idea, which I may use on my own cab, is to use artwork on the circular frame and the surrounding bit...  I reckon there could be some quite cool designs that could be done. Just have to make sure the artwork on the circular frame lines-up/fits well with the surrounding bit in both rotated orientations.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:40 am »
Very nice!  Mirrored for posterity. Won't post it unless something happens to the original site. Very nice work!
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:47 am »
I've always been dead set on having a rotating monitor in my design. I'm going for an LCD monitor, so then I started to think why not just buy a bigger monitor? Instead of 21"why not go for 24" (or even bigger)?

BTW All these rotating designs do make me want a rotating monitor though. Even if only for the coolness factor
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:56:18 am by patrickl »
This signature is intentionally left blank

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:48 am »
Great stuff, thanks for posting this!

You could mount it behind smoked glass. The circuitry is there to allow one, with the use of a few relays, to turn off power to the monitor while it rotates.

I was thinking of using smoked glass to hide the seam... turning the monitor off while it rotates would be wicked cool.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:25 am »
I've always been dead set on having a rotating monitor in my design. I'm going for an LCD monitor, so then I started to think why not just buy a bigger monitor? Instead of 21"why not go for 24" (or even bigger)?

BTW All these rotating designs do make me want a rotating monitor though. Even if only for the coolness factor

That's why some people get 27" monitors.  When mounted horizontally, vertical games are the same size as if on a 19".

It is pretty cool though and the video is nice.  Instead of using the Parallel Port, the circuit should be able to be easily modified to use a LED-WIZ or PacDrive.

Cornchip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 10:23:11 am
  • Thinking up more crap....
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 05:41:08 pm »
  Great work on the web site! Thanks for the info. I can't believe how far this topic has gone in such a short amount of time.

Cornchip.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:42:45 pm by Cornchip »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:32:28 pm »
Yeah I know.
Do you all think we should start a new forum under "main". Maybe "rotating monitors"?
Because I would like to see other peoples setups,  and it might help newbies to find information.
I am now gathering parts for the H drive.
I need to get a motor and make sure it is drawing less than 5 amps first.
Question for Koz:
I am a little hesitant to couple my PC to the motor's H drive and power supply.
How do you feel about using opto-isolators between the LPT outputs and H drive inputs?
Also, on a circuit I built once using the printer port, I found that all the grounds from the port had to be tied together. There was noise created that affected my circuit big time. I know it could have been the computer I was using, but I would definitely tie pins 18 thru 25 together, even if I was only using one or two of the grounds.
Also for those still interested, I think the nutchip would work with the H drive perfectly.
I plan to do some testing when I get the motor and drive built.
Thanks Koz again for this great info.

XyloSesame

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2020, 11:08:24 am
  • the creepy prince guy...
    • The Nightingale Theater
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 11:10:51 pm »
Do you all think we should start a new forum under "main". Maybe "rotating monitors"?
Because I would like to see other peoples setups,  and it might help newbies to find information.

I think the wiki and examples page could be added and expanded to include all of this information. Maybe I'm just one of the few dorks who look in these places first...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 10:03:15 am »

I just want some sort of "how to" guide written for complete idiots such as myself.  Like a parts list + vendors and step-by-step instructions.  I'm lost on the second sentence ("You should have a DC motor in place physically capable of turning the monitor with a power supply sufficient to drive it.") because I have no idea what things like voltage, resistors or polarity are.  The woodworking part is easy for me - in fact, when I get some time I'd be happy to write up a detailed explanation on how to make the circular frame to hold the monitor and the base that it sits in.  It's all the electrical stuff and circuit diagrams that make my head spin...   :cheers:

telengard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:23:01 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:23:30 pm »
This is the last thing I need to do to my cabinet and I would consider it DONE.  I'd like to have my rotating monitor work automatically.  I'd have to find a USB<-> LPT converter since the computer I'm using doesn't have an LPT port.   :(

~telengard
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 05:52:59 pm »
I might be wrong, but I think he said an USB to LPT to printer adapter wouldnt work.
You might pick up a cheap PCI LPT port card though.

*edited to add "USB to LPT"*
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:03:25 pm by DaOld Man »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 06:29:16 pm »

I just want some sort of "how to" guide written for complete idiots such as myself.  Like a parts list + vendors and step-by-step instructions.  I'm lost on the second sentence ("You should have a DC motor in place physically capable of turning the monitor with a power supply sufficient to drive it.") because I have no idea what things like voltage, resistors or polarity are.  The woodworking part is easy for me - in fact, when I get some time I'd be happy to write up a detailed explanation on how to make the circular frame to hold the monitor and the base that it sits in.  It's all the electrical stuff and circuit diagrams that make my head spin...   :cheers:

Ok, I ordered the parts today from DigiKey that Koz listed on his website.
I also stopped by radio shack and bought a Drilled PC Board (RS # 276-149), to mount the drive parts on.
I also bought soem PC board terminals (RS # 276-1388)
I went through my junk box, found an old 12 volt motor, looks like a windshield wiper, cant remember where I got it. It has a right angle gear box on it and turns about 70-80 RPM.
I have it hooked to an old AT computer power supply right now.
The motor is a little noisy, may need cleaning and greasing.
It is current drawing right at an amp, with no load.
I think the drive will handle this motor.
If there is interest, I can start a new thread, with pictures and costs, etc, tracking my progress on this.

koz319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2013, 12:13:45 pm
  • So much time, so little to do.
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 12:54:11 am »

Thanks for all the great feedback!  I hope some of you guys put this to good use. 

I am a little hesitant to couple my PC to the motor's H drive and power supply.
How do you feel about using opto-isolators between the LPT outputs and H drive inputs?
Using opto-isolators would certainly add protection, by all means go for it.  I guess my personal opinion is that a circuit like this is designed to interface between low level controls and higher currents.  I think if the h-bridge is well tested under load before interfacing to the PC, you should be OK.  You could  (and probably should anyway) fuse the motors power supply before the bridge, with a fuse sized just over the motors max current draw.  Most failures would probably result from an over current situation, and this could help protect somewhat.  But by all means if the optos sound good to you, go for it.
(And tying the grounds together is probably a good idea.)

I might be wrong, but I think he said an USB to LPT to printer adapter wouldnt work.

All the 'USB->LPT' cables I have seen to date don't really install as an actual parallel port, they install as virtual printer drivers.  It doesn't mean that there isn't one, and if someone finds one I'd love the link.  But the best bet may be a PCI add on card if you have an available slot, this should work for sure.

I like the idea of using smoked glass to hide the whole monitor assembly, and turning off the monitor when it turns so you don't see the rotation.  If someone does this, I'd love to see pics.

Koz

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 06:22:52 am »

damn, i wish my cab was here with me so i could set it up for auto-rotate (",)

just a question. is it possible to have two front ends, one for vertical and one horizontal that are selected automatically on exit of a game? or do any of the front ends have an option to automatically orientate for, well orientation?! this would save some wear and tear on the monitor as you will always have the correctly orientated menu.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 02:54:11 pm »
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am