Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Almost Done but One Monitor Problem...  (Read 2539 times)

NightStrm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2007, 12:16:59 am
Almost Done but One Monitor Problem...
« on: March 19, 2002, 02:27:59 pm »
OK, I'm finally almost done with my second MAME cabinet (some might remember the Rocketcade from a couple years back). Anyways, for this one I purchased a cabinet that already had a Hanatarex 25" MDC-9110 monitor in it. Using a J-PAC, I have gotten everything connected and the software (AdvanceMAME and AdvanceMENU) working properly. Everything is working great except for one issue.

The problem is that when you first turn on the cabinet, the entire picture is out of focus. If you leave it sit on for 5-10 minutes, the picture becomes much better, but it will constantly lose focus and regain it every couple seconds. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Someone on IRC told me that the focus pot on the monitor board needs replaced, I just want to see if anyone else agrees with this, or has any other suggestions. This issue makes finding/selecting any game a challenge; otherwise I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for any help you can give.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

DerrickRe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Almost Done but One Monitor Problem...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 03:09:09 pm »
The problem is that when you first turn on the cabinet, the entire picture is out of focus. If you leave it sit on for 5-10 minutes, the picture becomes much better, but it will constantly lose focus and regain it every couple seconds. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Someone on IRC told me that the focus pot on the monitor board needs replaced, I just want to see if anyone else agrees with this, or has any other suggestions. This issue makes finding/selecting any game a challenge; otherwise I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Unfortunately it sounds like your CRT is shot.

2 things to check....

1.)  Pull off the Kine Board (PCB attached to the gun of the CRT) and check the 1 pin that is all by it's lonesome.  Make sure it is not broke.  If it is broken then the focus voltage can not make it into the CRT, and it is only focusing now and then due to static build up.  A broken pin makes the tube bad.  If there is no (or not much) phoshor burn in, call some TV shops and give them the tube #.  They can see if someone re-builds the CRT.

2.) Turn and Tap on the focus control.  If this causes the focus to jump in and out then the control is bad.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »