Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U360 with 720...mini review.  (Read 7544 times)

Will

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2012, 03:32:27 am
  • Finished Lurking.....
U360 with 720...mini review.
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »
Well not sure if this warrants a post but since I had been searching for a way to play 720 as I had in the arcade twenty years ago I thought I would mention this to others who like this game.I had given up all hope after trying it with my spinner and trackball and although those worked OK they were not close to playing it on the real thing.I played various classic packages of this game on consoles and pc and the closest i had come to the real feel was playing it with a mouse.I entertained the idea of somehow converting a real 720 joystick to analog mame but due to the price of the joysticks on ebay and the lack of support for the original chain driven joystick with mame I pretty much decided that i would never play 720 as i remember it.Enter the u360 from ultimarc.

I will first say I'm using the joystick with stock light spring and no restrictor plate (i own the harder spring and restrictors but have yet to install).Right out of the box no real configuring other than lowering the analog speed settings the game plays almost perfect.You spin he spins you point right it goes right.Its almost so good that it feels like you can spin to fast ,right off the bat.With the light spring and no restrictor i really feel like I'm almost playing the real thing.Only thing different is joystick is not quite as heavy in terms of resistance(no chain),but the spinning movement combined with large spins really is amazing.

So to anyone who had dreams of playing 720 as intended or dreamed of buying a real 720 full arcade might want to consider this option.I have not toyed with the joystick with many other games but i will say it worked perfect with Afterburner and the original Star Wars arcade.I also played around with a n64 emulator and it really worked well with that too.

Anyways I'm really happy with this product and recommend it to any 720 fan or really anyone looking for a analog solution.

THANKS ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Will
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:42:34 pm by saint »

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
Re: U360 with 720...mini review.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »
Did the exact same experiment except I tried with no restrictor, and NO SPRING! It was ok but not that great.  (Trying to remember the not so great part as it has been a couple months)

Oh yea, the original controller would spin around the perimeter with no chance of centering, EVER. With the U360 it played OK, but I remember it being kinda....meh, because you would have to concentrate a bit on NOT letting the stick come off the perimeter or 'centering' even the slightest bit. This definitely took away from high performance 720 gameplay IMO.

Here is what someone needs to make, and it might work. A restrictor that only allows 360 degree travel along the outermost layer of the U360's 'throw'. Add the light or medium spring and you might possibly have 720 bliss!

I'll be waiting anxiously for someone to build that restrictor!
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Will

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2012, 03:32:27 am
  • Finished Lurking.....
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 11:06:14 pm »
In my head im having a hard time imagining a 720 restrictor because it would need to have the middle filled in and the outer edge a thin O.Without something attached to middle not sure how this would work.I did not notice the pull to the center because I was spinning that thing like a madman.I see you're points of course DK but I'm comparing this to all other controls I've tried this game with and none do a good as job as this one(IMHO).

A 720 restrictor would be amazing but i don't see how one could make one and if there would be enough interest in it to make it worth making.I would buy one for sure.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:41:55 am »
Yea, after I made the post I thought about how impossible it would be for the restictor to be made like that. hmmm.

I do want to try this again with your setup though, no restrictor + soft or med spring. It may be the closest we can get for now...  :)

BTW: If there was a decent 720 stick out there for mame, I would consider building some kinda crazy retarded looking dedicated 720 machine.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

krutknut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2012, 01:17:50 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:39:28 pm »
I suppose you could put in a bearing in the U360, and attach the 360 shaft to the bearing. Then it would never center, but still rotate.

jcoleman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 07:18:38 pm
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 08:22:58 pm »
A 720 restrictor could be done with a solid circle with an offset joystick hole.  Imagine a cd with the same size hole but an inche from the edge instead of centered.  Then set that restrictor in a bearing of some sort (to keep it centered and flat) and you're all set.

jcoleman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 07:18:38 pm
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 08:23:18 pm »
PS I'm patenting that right this second...  ;)

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 11:22:38 pm »
A 720 restrictor could be done with a solid circle with an offset joystick hole.  Imagine a cd with the same size hole but an inche from the edge instead of centered.  Then set that restrictor in a bearing of some sort (to keep it centered and flat) and you're all set.

Took me awhile, but now I get it (I'm kinda slow). Might be tough to integrate into the current U360 restrictor setup though. Not saying it would be impossible...just not easy. More power to you if you decide to give it a shot, jcoleman !  :)

metahacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 11:02:04 pm »
http://www.ram-controls.com/controller-720.html
:)
not sure if it will ever come out tho.

they do have a major havoc roller under their belt though :)

edit:
link to blog:)
http://www.ram-controls.com/blog-720.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:11:23 pm by metahacker »

Scottk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 11:16:12 am
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 11:06:05 pm »
Did the exact same experiment except I tried with no restrictor, and NO SPRING! It was ok but not that great.  (Trying to remember the not so great part as it has been a couple months)

Oh yea, the original controller would spin around the perimeter with no chance of centering, EVER. With the U360 it played OK, but I remember it being kinda....meh, because you would have to concentrate a bit on NOT letting the stick come off the perimeter or 'centering' even the slightest bit. This definitely took away from high performance 720 gameplay IMO.

I am wondering, could you create a special U360 map that maps all the "inner" area to the outer perimeter?
So even if you let the stick "sag" towards the middle, it would still "act" like its still riding the outer perimeter?

Scott

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:12:02 pm »
I am wondering, could you create a special U360 map that maps all the "inner" area to the outer perimeter?
So even if you let the stick "sag" towards the middle, it would still "act" like its still riding the outer perimeter?

Yes.

Ninja Supremacist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2008, 03:17:05 pm
  • I, alone, am the Master.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 12:53:24 pm »
An analog stick with a ball joint and a weak spring like the CH Mach 3 is perfect for 720.  I have 2 of them.  720 works nicely because, in addition to the joint and spring, it has a large throw angle.
Here's to those who say they do...
Here's to those who say they don't...
Here's to those who say they will
And later decide they won't.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 01:54:12 pm »
An analog stick with a ball joint and a weak spring like the CH Mach 3 is perfect for 720.  I have 2 of them.  720 works nicely because, in addition to the joint and spring, it has a large throw angle.

Do you have any pics of that setup?  :pics

Ninja Supremacist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2008, 03:17:05 pm
  • I, alone, am the Master.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 05:41:06 pm »
I was about to convert the sticks to a traditional and more durable MAME style until I found the u 360.

The reason I have two is to create a good controller for Mutant Storm.

I don't have my camera at the moment and I cannot find a picture of it on the intertubes.

Give me a few days.

It's a small controller.  Amazing that the exact same controller I paid $20 for ages ago is well above $125.

The u 360 looks like a lifesaver as my hands are too screwed up to use a gamepad and a flightstick is overkill. 
Here's to those who say they do...
Here's to those who say they don't...
Here's to those who say they will
And later decide they won't.

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 05:33:04 am »
[ Question no longer relevant - I found the answer in another thread. ]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:40:27 am by txtworld »