Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Project Need Help Gauntlet Legends cab  (Read 2880 times)

tcleary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:30:19 am
  • I'm a llama!
New Project Need Help Gauntlet Legends cab
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:00 am »
I picked up a Guantlet Legends cab recently, nice shape but was dirty as hell when I got it.  was in a warehouse for 8 months, it cleaned up nice though (have some work to do on the circuit boards, but otherwise really clean)  The operator I got it from said it would lock up on location after a few days.  had him fire it up before I bought it and it seemed ok.  might be a heat problem, the fans are gunked up and one didn't spin, so I'm replacing those.  When I was checking out the cab before buying it (he had a fairly nice selection of cabs, Richmond VA if anyone wants to know what else he had) he said something about cleavage, I didn't hear this but my brother did but he didn't know what the guy was talking about.  When I got the cab home my brother noticed a bunch of stickers placed over the elf's cleavage on the left side of the cab, so that's what he was talking about!  someone must have complained about it wherever the machine was located, I think a bowling alley but I could be wrong.   

It came with a working medium res 25" monitor but I'm seriously considering picking up a new betson 27" to throw in there.  One of the reasons I liked this cab was it takes a 27". 

the med res it came with is 10 years old, only 25" and from first hand experience (my brother has a betson 27" in his cab) the betson is easier to use.

here's my question.  if I get the beston how can I hook it up to the original gauntlet legends board to it?  I'd like the ability to just switch the plug from the betson from my Mame pc to the original gauntlet board if that's possible. 

I'm planning on doing what a few other people on these boards have done and making a custom control panel and keeping the original panel intact, so I think it would be cool to be able to swap them out easily and play gauntlet if I wanted. 

here's what I've done so far

spent a few hours cleaning everything, pulled off the plexi/plastic from the control panel.  it's in sad shape so I want to cut a new one, i've heard dealing with plexi can be tricky though, so it might be a while before I get to that.

one missing 49 way joystick board, ordered a whole new stick

replaced marquee bulb and starter

ordered t-molding  another ac poster said it uses 13/16 instead of 3/4, I'm glad I read his thread before ordering 100 feet of the stuff on amazon.  I decided on black, didn't really like the original yellow.

ordered some computer parts.  was going to use an older agp system, but for what computer parts cost these days I decided to get a pci/e system with an intel dual core.  something like 170 for mobo/4g ram/dual core 2.5ghz.  I have spare parts for the rest of the machine. 

orderd a pci/e  arcadevga

another question, does anyone run two monitors at once with that card?  one showing windows, one just the arcade monitor for the mame output?  I was wondering if doing that would affect performance in mame. 

I'll try to remember to post some pictures.  I should have taken a camera when I got the thing, it would have been a good before/after comparison

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
Re: New Project Need Help Gauntlet Legends cab
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »
     Wondering if you ever continued with this project (I know I am digging up an old thread).  I have a GL cab with an original Neotec 27" medium-res monitor in it.  I haven't done a lot to it yet, besides a little cleaning (was pretty pristine when I got it luckily!), but I did do a recap of the monitor (new flyback soon I hope).  Have been researching ways to interface with the cabs 49-way sticks for using this as a Mame machine as well as GL. 

I saw you state you bought an ArcadeVGA card to use in this with a 27" monitor.  It's a med res, right?  I have read the ArcadeVGA supports some 25Khz resolutions, but I thought it stated "on auto-switching" monitors or something like that?  Does that mean dedicated med-res monitors are hard to connect to an ArcadeVGA card? 

Just wondering, as I may end up using one in the future if they work with a normal med-res monitor.  I have an adapter coming soon (hopefully) to connect to a 49-way stick and then a USB port to use with Mame.  Here : http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6.0 the guy used a special converter to interface with his medium-res monitor and seems to have worked great, although they are not as easy to find as I had hoped (at least cheaply anyways, as this thing is $200+!)

Also, you state the t-molding is not standard 3/4".  Is that right?  Appreciate a reply to give me some help as I may go this route myself.