Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My New 1 Player Control Panel Design  (Read 2189 times)

fjl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
My New 1 Player Control Panel Design
« on: October 11, 2007, 04:33:57 am »
All right so my cab has been on hiatus for a while. Don't really have the money or the transportation to pick up the large pieces of MDF to work on. I already have my wood shop area ready to go, made some nifty work horses and bought most of the tools. But have yet to really get started. But I haven't given up total hope since I decided to create a control panel for my Dreamcast. But then I settled to make it for my CP as well. A single player Control Panel. Been mostly working on the design part. I already bought all the parts from GGG. I had decided to create this CP a few weeks back but wasn't sure on the design so I searched around and found a design that I totally digged. Its the Fighting Minions US arcade stick.

So yeah, it's basically a rip-off of another CP. But not totally. Look here.

http://www.gopodular.com/arcade_controllers/fighting_minions_us_control_panel.htm

It will be very similar to it, except that my control panel will angle down instead of just being flat like a table. This should make it easy to use either on a table top or on your lap. Plus the buttons will be arranged somewhat different. Something more to my prefferance.I don't have much experience with wood so it's actually hard to get the correct dimensions for the pieces of wood slopping down. Especially the angled pieces. But most of the initial design is done. So I can't wait to get started. I'll post pics as I get on to the work. I'm actually buying extra Red buttons and changing their shell so the outside ring is red and the inside button is a different color. I thought it was a nifty idea to keep the whole red appeal to it. Of course it will also have red t-molding and a red joystick washer thanks to somunny. I just have to wait to get the washer in the mail from him.
 :cheers:

Here is a mock pick of what it will look like colors and all. Tell me what you think.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: My New 1 Player Control Panel Design
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:58:25 am »
Looks like a nice design.  Cool idea with the button rings, I think I've seen it somewhere else but can't remember where.  These 1 player CPs are nice to have, even after getting a cabinet I sometimes like to use mine so I can sit on the couch and play on my laptop computer instead of the cabinet.  I have also taken it on business trips to have something free to do in the hotel room.  Good luck, and have fun.

WhiteFro1306

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2009, 08:13:07 pm
  • qcf+p : hcb+p : qcb + k
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:18 am »
I like it  (I'm a sucker for red and black color combos)

remember, it is not a "rip off", it is an enhanced design  :P

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:59 am »
I like it  (I'm a sucker for red and black color combos)

remember, it is not a "rip off", it is an enhanced design  :P

totally!  >:D

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:14:08 pm »
Looks good from here, my only question would be, what about Robotron?

Zeosstud

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:32:55 pm »
Sadly some sacrifices had to be made.  :'(

That also includes 4 way games. I can always flip the actuator on the Happs Super joystick but that takes a while and is not very practical. I suppose I could get the Omni Prodigy stick with its above 4 way to 8 way switch but, nah! I mostly just play 8 way games anyways. This is mostly going to be for fighting games anyways.

FunWithFire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:02:06 pm »
Why do you have the black button off to the right? Is that for Neo Geo games? Normally I see that fourth button placed under the right thumb.

Kajoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:22:29 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:35:40 pm »
When you get closer to the build stage, You might find the template on this page helpful
http://www.kowal.itcom.pl/ArcadeParts_pliki/Projekt.htm
The virtua stick layout is almost identical to what you have there.  I actually used this template to build my control panel recently and have been extremely pleased with how it turned out.

The image on that page printed out exactly to scale when we tossed it into photoshop.  So you can just tape it down to your wood and drill through it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:11:34 am »
Glad to see you finally building something. Good luck.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 01:49:53 am »
Glad to see you finally building something. Good luck.

Haven't started building yet. But will soon! This time for sure.  :angel:
I also plan to make one for my mom. I put Mame on her PC. She loves the Puzzle Bobble games but keeps forgetting which buttons do what on the keyboard. So a Joystick Cp would make thing for her totally easier.

Why do you have the black button off to the right? Is that for Neo Geo games? Normally I see that fourth button placed under the right thumb.

Yeah I tried that other setup with the first button being lowered like on Kajoqs picture. That's all fine and dandy if you use your thumb for that button. But for me, I can't use my thumb to press a button. The dexterity of it is just odd. So I tried repositioning my hand to allow the index finger to press that button and it hurts cause of the angle my wrist is put into. I tried both setups, Kajoqs and mines, and found my layout totally more pleasing on my hand and wrist. So I decided to go with it. And yeah, it could be for Neo-Geo games or whatever uses 4 buttons like the Dungeons and Dragons games.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:52:40 am by efjayel »