Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building Material  (Read 2493 times)

sleong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
Building Material
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »
I got a whole stack probably about 40 pieces of I think 1/2" or 3/4" participial board that are about 3' x 4' that should be good to build bar tops with.  I know it may not be the best as it could act as a sponge but if I laminate it or seal it well will that still be an issue? 

I'm out on the west coast of BC, Canada.

The particle board was all free so I cannot complain too much. 

What are your thoughts to build bar tops with?  Or will it be a waste of time using this material? 

Steve

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Re: Building Material
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:02:11 am »
I know a lot of guys here will say MDF and nothing else but laminated particle board makes a great building material.
Real arcade machines were made out of particle board. True it doesn't do well with water but neither does mdf.

Is it actual particle board or is it osb?
Particle board is made up of very small material and osb is like a plywood of wood shards that is often used for house sheathing.
Truthfully either one will laminate ok.

sleong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:22:23 am »
I know a lot of guys here will say MDF and nothing else but laminated particle board makes a great building material.
Real arcade machines were made out of particle board. True it doesn't do well with water but neither does mdf.

Is it actual particle board or is it osb?
Particle board is made up of very small material and osb is like a plywood of wood shards that is often used for house sheathing.
Truthfully either one will laminate ok.

Is it particle board for sure!  That I know for a fact.

Thank you for your reply.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:24 am »
Personally, I'm tiring of how much MDF weighs and will try something different next time.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:04 am »
I built a cabinet out of finish grade plywood last year and it was so much better than MDF. It was $60 a sheet but well worth it. The weight, easier to machine, sawdust instead of whatever that is that comes out of mdf...