Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Marquee and Name Idea - HELP!  (Read 4674 times)

DinoRoger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2005, 02:00:37 am
  • Hey, can I borrow a quarter?
Marquee and Name Idea - HELP!
« on: May 03, 2003, 09:16:11 pm »
My creative juices have left my body, but hopefully have entered one of you (OK that just sounds gross).  I already got my Wolverine side art decided on and started the marquee.  Looks like my brain on no sleep decided to go the Wolverine only route.  I plan on making the title text on the marquee scratched letters.  Sticking with the Wolverine theme what is a good title for this cabinet and what type of design should I go with for this marquee (I want to do this right the first print).  Thanks in advance.

START OF MARQUEE:

SIDE ART:

MY HOPES AND DREAMS:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 09:33:38 pm by DinoRoger »

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
Re:Marquee and Name Idea - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 11:37:00 pm »
Here is where I am at now.  See all I could think of was X as the title.  :D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2003, 12:48:16 am by DinoRoger »

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 04:44:55 pm »
    I can definitely see where you were going with the marquee, but I'd have to say you might really want to consider doing this *this is just my opinion though*:
  either scan them in yourself, or find some pictures online of some Wolverine comic book pages, and try laying them out in the background *make sure to do a ctrl+u and saturation 0 to turn em completely grey*  then try that with the two wolverine pictures.  You might even find just blowing up one of the wolverine pictures to take up 1/4 of the left or right side might look good, m3talslug did that with his CP, came out really really good looking http://tobywong.50megs.com
     if you're going to keep that big X in the middle there, make the middle one some other color besides black, it makes it look really kid-like when its black.
    -Luke

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 05:17:24 pm »
   I can definitely see where you were going with the marquee, but I'd have to say you might really want to consider doing this *this is just my opinion though*:
  either scan them in yourself, or find some pictures online of some Wolverine comic book pages, and try laying them out in the background *make sure to do a ctrl+u and saturation 0 to turn em completely grey*  then try that with the two wolverine pictures.  You might even find just blowing up one of the wolverine pictures to take up 1/4 of the left or right side might look good, m3talslug did that with his CP, came out really really good looking http://tobywong.50megs.com
     if you're going to keep that big X in the middle there, make the middle one some other color besides black, it makes it look really kid-like when its black.
    -Luke

Something like this?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 08:23:44 pm »
well you can try somthing like this !  ;D
Like B & W background and color wolverines.  :)
Also the left wolverine doesnt look right... :-\
Get a better one...OR use that same on you have for side art..you know..."matching"  ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2003, 08:26:03 pm by SNAAAKE »

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 01:17:48 am »
Yet another attempt:

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 12:55:10 pm »
Very unique! I like.

The grey seems a little grainy to me..... Would it be possible to go more black and white? Maybe just add a little opacity to it so it fades into the background a bit still. I just think a little more black is needed in your background images to blend it into your black cabinet better.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 04:06:16 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Here is a sample at full size so you can see the background texture better.  I mixed black and white with the cab blue color and  applied a horz/vert cross hatch look for the texture.

Sample of pic at print size.  867K
http://www.pchelplive.com/dinos/mlarge.jpg

Test Picture with marquee installed:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2003, 04:19:46 pm by DinoRoger »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 05:04:40 pm »
Looks like wolverine is a little off-center in the marquee.

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 05:32:57 pm »
Ya just a rough sketch.  When its real it will be perfectly centered.

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 08:07:22 pm »
Even if you center Wolvie in the marquee, it just looks empty.  Just having wolverine's face in the center there leaves so much blank space that it just doesn't look right.  If i were you (which i'm not), i'd call it "Weapon X" and use the script right off the comic.  Put the title in big letters to mostly fill the marquee, then put one pic of Wolverine sorta superimposed over the edge of the text in a mean pose.  You could even put some "filler" behind the text if you want, though it probably won't be necessary since the marquee won't be as empty looking.

My $0.02

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 09:11:56 pm »
Ok here's my shot. What about pulling in the X-MEN title logo from the comics, but with a twist X-MAME (not to be confused with X Mame)  If I recall the old X-MEN logo was raised yellow 3D text.  Search for some Uncanny X-MEN comics to see what I mean.  You could then keep your wolverine's on the side.

Or you could pullin that newer Xmen logo like in the movie.  Personally, I like the X-MAME idea.

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 04:03:18 am »
I really like it, now what you need to do is somehow turn down that light blue on wolverine's mask to match the blue X in the background, and it'll blend in much better, instead of clashing so much with those background blue X's.
Here's what you might try to fill the empty space, make a duplciate layer of the wolverine face, and go Filter:Blur:Radial Blur      then click Zoom and turn it wayyyyy up, see how that turns out, it'll make his face jump out a lot more, and fill up some of the gaps on the sides.  You can turn the opacity down on the blur to see how it goes, just an idea to fill up some of the space on the sides.
      -Luke