Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Donkey Kong Instruction Card.  (Read 8023 times)

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
My Donkey Kong Instruction Card.
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:54 am »
I ordered a dk instruction card from mikesarcade.com (I was not very happy with the repro work).

repro on left original on right

so I re-created it in photoshop (drawing the characters and such below pixel by pixel. So I have included all the workable layers and such so you can edit to you liking. I couldnt find a perfect match of a font for the instruction part but I did my best to match it.

anyway, if you want it come get it.. I sill may try re-creating it in illustrator so it gets properly vectored but im still new to illustrator and im not nearly as good with vectors yet..

Download:http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/DonkeyKongNeilyboy.psd

enjoy, and if there is a problem with this being posted here just  nuke my post dont flame me for helping out.

Neil

hatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
Re: My Donkey Kong Instruction Card.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:16:57 pm »
That looks great, thanks for posting this. It figures though...just LAST NIGHT I ordered the repro from Mike's Arcade.   :timebomb:

I picked up a Donkey Kong cabinet last weekend, so I'll be reading your restoration post over and over. Thanks for all of the pictures and details. Your restoration turned out GREAT!  :cheers:

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:31:26 pm »
thanks hatrick. yeah the quality of the mikesarcade repro is alright (print and stock-wise) but the reproduction work itself is garbage. I mean hell the text isnt even the same color (im sure this is a © issue or something but..) I myself have not found a match for what or how they printed this yet. I have tried to print this on the color laserjet here at work on three different types of paper and then tried to print it on my parents tektronics phaser 440 (dye sublimation) printer and the blacks just were not 'black' so im still looking for good way to print this and color match. So you may find yourself doing a bit of color matching to get this exact as possible.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words good luck with your restore. Hopefully you have all of the internals as that is what I spent the majority of my $$ on...

Neil
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:33:11 pm by Neilyboy »

Nostalgia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2010, 06:07:52 pm
  • KLOV Name- descrentl
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 03:25:38 pm »
11 MB!!! Holy crap!  :o

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:12:39 pm »
sorry you on dialup??
I can resave as a jpg or something just wanted to give the full work in case anyone wanted to tweak it.

Neil

Nostalgia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2010, 06:07:52 pm
  • KLOV Name- descrentl
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 06:14:29 pm »
No, Im on a T1 at work. Its just a big file for such a small card.  ;D

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:00:41 pm »
haha yeah its a ton of layers haha

neil

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:59:26 am »
How were the originals made ? Silk screen printing ? If so, I think you should ask Richard from ThisOldGame.com.....

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:01:59 am »
That looks great, thanks for posting this. It figures though...just LAST NIGHT I ordered the repro from Mike's Arcade.   :timebomb:

I picked up a Donkey Kong cabinet last weekend, so I'll be reading your restoration post over and over. Thanks for all of the pictures and details. Your restoration turned out GREAT!  :cheers:

I don't know how it's in the US, but here it's the law that you can return anything you buy through mail order within 7 days without any reason, and get your money back. Else complain if you don't think the quality is acceptable. I did once with arcadeshop.com and got my money back. (except shipping costs).

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:07 am »
I dont really know how the originals were made. Im guessing they were just printed on a press of some sort that ran single color ink (making this thing pass like 6 times i guess). Then again im totally guessing but the paper itself was nothing special from what I can see. Just a slightly glossy stock.

Neil

rikitiki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 01:40:45 pm »
Hey Neilboy how was the repro made?
the colors dont seem very bright in comparsion to the orginal was it an inkjet?
I just aquired a DK Ill be cleaning up and will take a closer look at the orginal Instruction card to see if I can determine how it was orginally printed.
how about the instruction sticker that goes underneath the bezel didnt those come as a set? how does that compare?
Ive read posts about some differences in the orignal marquees some with date some without, etc. its possible that Mikes arcade worked from a orginal piece that was slightly different to begin with.
Hard to say if Japaneze quailty control was any better than china ;D
Rich
thisoldgame.com
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:12 am »
hahah hey Rich.. as for how it was printed I honestly dont know. It must have been off of a press of some kind. The instruction sticker I got from mikesarcade works but I didnt have an original to go off of. If I had to guess then I would say that the one I got is a bit too 'glossy'. Other than that I guess it works haha..

Im almost ready to bring my DK in the house just need to get some work done on the bottom.

Neil

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »

Im almost ready to bring my DK in the house just need to get some work done on the bottom.

Neil

Yep. And a lot of us over on your project thread are chomping at the bit to see it too - finished. ;D

DonkeyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2016, 11:59:50 pm
  • How High Can You Get? Currently I'm at 145,200
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 03:02:15 pm »
I found this scan of a Donkey Kong instruction card on CrazyKong.com and thought it was interesting enough to add it to this older thread.  Note the right colors, but no 1981 date, and the extra border.  This is from a cocktail cabinet, but still a nice original scan.

Neilyboy, any chance you could zip up all of the fonts used with your PSD file?  I don't have practically all of them.  It would be much appreciated!

http://www.crazykong.com/cabs/dkong/DKInstructions.jpg

Everybody, even Grandma, games. Meaning, checkers, cards, if not now, in the past.  Show me even a frickin' nun or hermit who hasn't done cards or checkers. -Mark Alpiger