Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars yoke: SAITEK PZ44 PRO acceptable alternative or does it suck?  (Read 1792 times)

Diewrecked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2012, 07:34:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi guys

I have seen the various threads about the non-availability of an authentic Star Wars yoke controller (specifically the nightmare with the RAM Controllers one which sounds like a real shame). However I stumbled upon this - http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=260822 - and wondered if it was any good. Has anyone used one? How does it handle? Also how would I bolt it onto the control panel of my arcade cab?

Thanks all

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
No, the saitek yoke works like cessna ones (push for dive, pull climb)  while the star wars one must be inclined
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Diewrecked

• Offline Offline
Thanks Bluedeath.

Could you not just reverse up and down for Star Wars in MAME (such that up is down and vice versa) or doesn't it work like that?

Droler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 12:27:23 pm
It's not a matter of Y axis orientation. The Star Wars yoke handles Y axis movement by inclination or bending/twisting up and down. Saitek and other PC flight yokes do NOT have any twist at all for Y axis. They push in and out instead. The feel is completely different and it does not translate well to Star Wars arcade games. Which is very unfortunate!

Diewrecked

• Offline Offline
Ah right, didn't know that. I just assumed they'd all work the same as the Star Wars yoke.

Well that's knackered that idea!!!

Thanks for the heads up all.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Yeah, I thought of using one of these. I actually bought a combination racing wheel that had this aviation yoke feature, but when I tried, it didn't work. I don't know if I didn't have things mapped correctly in Mame or what.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.