Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another: Opinion on my first CP layout  (Read 1811 times)

DamageCase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2009, 04:22:27 am
Another: Opinion on my first CP layout
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:02:50 am »
Gday,

I am planning to build a custom arcade / Gaming PC and was looking for opinions on my control panel layout. I dont need a spinner or trackball so I stuck with a basic 2 joystick layout. I will put 2 pinball buttons on the side panels... I wanted to leave enough room in the centre of the panel to use a wireless mouse and also to clip on a Logitech G25 wheel when needed.

I am unsure at the moment on a few things:
1) Are the spacings OK? Can you forsee any issues? I know the layout is not quite the norm but I thought it was more logical to have the 7th button on the left.
2) I bought a mini-pac to connect it all up. Do you know if the "mouse buttons" on the minipac can be re-assigned?
2) I am still deciding on the "function" keys (depending partly on how many buttons I can reassign)... It will definitely have the start buttons. The credits/pause/escape are still being decided on; I know I can use the pinball flippers for credits in a pinch.

Cheers

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Another: Opinion on my first CP layout
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:50:33 am »
Is this layout for fighters? If so, I wouldn't use magstiks without trying them out first. I don't use pause/quit buttons anymore, but I could see the point of having them. What about credit buttons?

Except for that, pretty standard stuff.

vidmouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2021, 10:13:41 am
  • Oop! Ack! Thppphbt!
    • Vidmouse's Arcade
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:37 am »
Some of the best advice I got when designing mine...
lay it out on cardboard full-size and test it using a friend.

The angle of the buttons seems a little off to me (tilted too far counter-clockwise)
P1/P2 spacing looks about right.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:30:15 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:59:26 am »
I highly recommend not putting the "quit" button anywhere near any of the other admin buttons.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:56 am »
I've personally never liked "arc'ed" button layouts. I like the standard Street Fighter layout with the extra "neo geo" button to the bottom left.  makes the 6 button fighters, the neo geos games, and games like NBA JAM have an ideal layout.

your best friend is a couple of cut up pizza boxes with the buttons poked through it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:16 am »
Definitely relocate the quit button.  I wire mine up to two separate buttons on either side of the control panel where you have to hit both at the same time to exit.  That way if I am playing with a friend and kicking his ass, he can't just exit without me wanting to as well.  Also noone can sneak up and tap the exit button to ruin a new high score. 
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
Interesting idea, Green giant. I just see one flaw in it where a normal person that doesn't know about that will not know how to quit the current game and change to another one. Unless your "quit" screen mentions the need to press two buttons simultaneously.

DamageCase, I like the idea of the 7th button being on the right instead of on the left. I find repositioning my hand so the index fingers uses the 7th button on the left quite awkward. I guess I could just use my thumb but that feels kind of weird. Only downfall is that my CP is kind of cramped already so the 7th button will end up being closer to my trackball if I decided to put it on the right. But I'll test as I go and see what fits better.

As for your panel, I personally would not go with that close of a layout with p1 and p2 start including the admin button and pause so close together. I currently have mine where p1 Start and Credit P1 are right above the P1 joystick and buttons. The same for P2. I have no pause button. That's accessed through the shift buttons. And Quit/Escape is way to the top-left of the control panel. Away from wandering fingers to accidentally click.

DamageCase

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:13:37 am »
Thanks for the opinions guys... Sorry for not replying sooner.

I have built the panel and have been working on the start of my cabinet (starting with the bezel). I have attached photos for those that are interested.
Screen is 20" LCD... And yes those are the LCD topgun sticks.

It is all in very early stages... the holes are where the framing is screwed on the back of the bezel that is holding things in place.
The CP has its acrylic on with the protective backing still on... Thats why the edges look ripped.

I will be using a 4 button layout more than the 6 button... But I thought it is better to have it than not

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:17 am »
not to sound dickish, but why bother posting and asking before making?  :dunno
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DamageCase

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 05:27:19 pm »
Well I did read the comments before I made it... I just didnt reply before cos I did not have anything to add.

I thought this was a community that liked to help out with ideas and such.... thats why I asked beforehand...
I took the comments/ideas and modified to a compromise... Altered the angle of the buttons slightly, the "admin" buttons on the top are the coins and start buttons - I can use the shift feature of the minipac for the pause and quit.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 05:54:05 pm »
Thoughts on the magstik?

DamageCase

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 06:19:01 pm »
It seems quite playable so far... I dont have a lot to compare it to though.
The only thing I can think at the moment is they are a little short... I'm gonna have to route it in underneath to give another cm or so.

falkensmaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2024, 03:11:34 pm
  • No I wouldn't prefer a nice game of chess!!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:22:10 pm »

DamageCase, I like the idea of the 7th button being on the right instead of on the left. I find repositioning my hand so the index fingers uses the 7th button on the left quite awkward. I guess I could just use my thumb but that feels kind of weird. Only downfall is that my CP is kind of cramped already so the 7th button will end up being closer to my trackball if I decided to put it on the right. But I'll test as I go and see what fits better.

Just a note, the 7th button on the left is gr8 for defender smart bombs because "obviously" you will use the reverse button much more unlike the original CP which made you use our thumb for reverse !so  your right hand can do 1, fire 2, thurst 3, reverse... i also  couldnt put 7th button on right due to t/ball mount plate  :)
Theres no way you can win? There is always a way!!

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:42:57 pm »
Is this layout for fighters? If so, I wouldn't use magstiks without trying them out first.

Interesting... I just ordered some Mag Stick PLUS (for the fact that you can switch 4/8 ways from the top) and I read what you just posted...

Are mag stick / plus bad/different/weird for fighters? why?

thanks!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »
Is this layout for fighters? If so, I wouldn't use magstiks without trying them out first.

Interesting... I just ordered some Mag Stick PLUS (for the fact that you can switch 4/8 ways from the top) and I read what you just posted...

Are mag stick / plus bad/different/weird for fighters? why?

thanks!

The short throw makes it near impossible to pull off a lot of the moves. If you played the street fighter series in the states - the supers feel pretty close to what we used in the arcades.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:51:23 pm »
pinbal buttons make excellent pause buttons...
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 11:51:29 pm »
The short throw makes it near impossible to pull off a lot of the moves. If you played the street fighter series in the states - the supers feel pretty close to what we used in the arcades.

ARGHHHHH .... :(

I ordered them without thinking twice about it... Mhhh

DamageCase

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 06:10:11 am »
Well a few months down the track and here is a pic of how my cab is coming along... Construction is pretty much complete. Just on final clean up and then painting :)

The cab is it 3 parts... The control panel, top and bottom. I planned it this way for easier movement (like fitting through doors... Plus its pretty much all 18MM (3/4") MDF so it weighs a ton but it is nice and sturdy.
All of the electronics are in the top. The cupboard in the base is for storing the steering wheel, mouse & anything else I need to store.

I have also gotta make up some holsters for the light guns - They will sit on either side of the keyboard drawer / under the control panel.

I hope that you guys dont shoot it down too bad... Remember, It is aimed at being used for Mame as well as other emu's and PC games.

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 09:49:39 pm »
The Mag Stick Plus' are very like the T-Stick plus' that I have in my cabinet as far as short throw. I play SF and MK and find that it is not too difficult to pull off special moves it is just a little different and takes some getting used to. The biggest thing I found with the T-Stick Plus' is that it is quite hard to hit the straight directions compared to the diagonal directions which is a bit of a pain (makes games like Berzerk, Commando etc a little tricky).

I think Andy's top switching design is pure genius but I wish he would go the next step and design a medium throw joystick with the diagonals just as easy to hit as the straight directions then he would have the world's greatest joystick and I would buy a pair immediately.