Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: another one for your review  (Read 4400 times)

NY_in_TX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2017, 11:19:54 am
  • First play's free...next one will cost ya
another one for your review
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:29:34 am »
I think I learned the most from seeing what others have done or not done.  So I'm putting this up so you can see I what I came up with in a SERIOUSLY hacked together project.

First off this project started as an exercise to learn.  I knew absolutly nothing about arcade games, other than I knew I like them.  I got an old Track and Field with the trackballs in BAD shape.  No PCB, No Monitor...50 bucks.  I figured I got 2 wico trackballs and a coindoor so I did alright...well

one thing lead to another and I ended up converting the whole cab.  It was the style with the side pieces that came way out, they kinda blocked the view from the sides so off they came.  So now I have a Lusid kinda shaped cab.  My working skills are mediocre at best, but I have good intentions ;)

So here's what I came up with some good some so-so...

*4 player CP (mainly 4 joys for my favorite game SMASH TV, but I figured if they are there might as well slap some button on there, the orientation of the buttons actually makes for okay 4 player spacing)
*hacked PC trackball with custom 8 ball insert ;D
*2 Thrustmaster Nascar wheels hacked to 360 spin and to Wico Trackball optics and hooked up via Oscar's trackball mouse interface
*20" Monitor
* and an IPAC4 keeping it all straight

total cost with a donated 1ghz computer was about 250.  Half the controls are x-gaming and half are Happs.  Like I said I am using this project to learn,and learn I did.  SMASH TV and Driving games like Off Road and Super Sprint were my main motivations, and I figured if I was going to have that CP...why not experiment with different setups.

anyways that's that, I couldn't have done it without the help of the great people on this list.  

NY (Oh yeah this computer I am on is notorious for not letting my upload pictures to message boards, if it doesn't get through I will find a way to post)

NY_in_TX

• Offline Offline
Re:another one for your review
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 08:41:12 am »
Try this guys...sorry

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nylanan%40sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/wrexbox

oh and I forgot.  We were messing aroudn trying to figure out a marquee and the track and field was in bad shape..a wreck if you will.  Plus I'm an Xbox guy.....wrexbox

my graphics made me the marquee, among others that will not be made public :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 06:38:50 pm by tom61 »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 01:20:13 pm »
Wow, I just can't get that link to link, I tried modifying it a couple of different way, but the many weird characters in it the url tag barfs on, sorry people, you'll have to copy and paste the link.

I like the steering wheels.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 01:23:40 pm by SirPoonga »

NY_in_TX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 02:35:54 pm »
yeah, the link is kinda tricky...it's the stupid @ they put in there.

I've never been able to post pics to message boards, no clue why.  If anyone wants to pull them off the site and repost feel free.  

Thanks for props on the wheels.  I was trying to figure out a way to get them on there, but take them away when not in use.   Probably the hack job I'm most happy with.  a friend of mine and I were joking about playing Ikari warriors using our knees to spin the wheels to aim....could be a new challenge ;D

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 02:38:03 pm »
You have to cut and paste that URL. YabbSE doesn't like the "@". I can't believe I.E. even takes it. As I recall I.E. used to ignore everything before the "@". That was how people used to make URLs that appeared to be from CNN, etc.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

CitznFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 03:54:41 pm »
will this work?

URL encoded the '@' sign.  @=%40

Need more info on the steering wheels! Do the hubs poke you when playing other games? Are those 270 wheels? I think they are. Where are the gas and brake? Buttons, or foot pedals below? looks like a killer set-up to me. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 03:58:03 pm by CitznFish »

NY_in_TX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 05:13:20 pm »
CitznFish that is it!  Thanks.  

The wheel are 270 thrustmasters that I hacked to be free spinning.  A couple of mintes with the old dremel.  

The posts stick out about 2 inches and do not even get in the way.  The steering wheels just slip on and off, I don't even use the set screw.  Just click on and click off.  I used the optics from the old wico trackballsand believe it or not the actual trackball rollers fit EXACTLY into the center of the steering wheel center column.   so that was pretty

ny

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2009, 12:24:27 pm
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 12:38:28 am »
The 8-ball is sweet in the black panel. Now, I'm kind of ticked that I have a Happs 3" high lip trackball arriving Monday (White ball).

The Happs 8 ball should fit in a 2 1/4" track ball assembly. <sigh> Oh, well.

Make sure the images you are posting are much less than 250KB. I tried posting one at 150kb and it didn't work. Did a GIF at 640x480 (less than 70k) and it worked fine.

Mucal invader, is there no end to your oozing?!

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2003, 12:45:05 am »
Rest of his pics.... (resized)

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2003, 12:45:40 am »
2 more after this

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 12:46:37 am »
1 more after this

TheTick

• Offline Offline
  • I.P. Daley
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 12:47:19 am »
Last one.... man I hate yahoo

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 01:43:15 pm »
CitznFish that is it!  Thanks.  

The wheel are 270 thrustmasters that I hacked to be free spinning.  A couple of mintes with the old dremel.  

The posts stick out about 2 inches and do not even get in the way.  The steering wheels just slip on and off, I don't even use the set screw.  Just click on and click off.  I used the optics from the old wico trackballsand believe it or not the actual trackball rollers fit EXACTLY into the center of the steering wheel center column.   so that was pretty

ny

I am seriously considering adding this to my cab. I love that idea.  Now how are you doing throttle and brake?

NY_in_TX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 10:49:56 am »
The throttle and brake are currently just mapped to buttons on each players side.  So it's kinda awkward, but you get real good at spinning and stopping the wheel with one hand, but you do that anyway for Off-Road and the nitros.  I have both sets of pedal assemblies from each Thrustmaster wheel and I was going to get in there with some microswitches and just hack them into the pedals.  

TheTick - big thanks for posting the pics!

ny