Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Line In Passthru?  (Read 3418 times)

MrD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 04:34:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Line In Passthru?
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:26:25 am »
Chris,

Would it be possible to have DOSCab take the line in / mic of the sound card and then pass it through during idle times?  Or with an on / off control?
(now that I think about it, maybe I should go home and see what it does if I hookup an audio source right now).

I have a home theater system in my basement with a bar / game room, etc.  I have my jukebox there as well.   What I was thinking was to take a line out from the theater and running it into my jukebox.   I sometimes run concert DVDs, etc on my big screen.  I was hoping to pipe the audio to the jukebox.  The sound quality is much better out of the jukebox.   The same thing if I have a footbal game on, I'd be able to send the sound through the jukebox which is at the other end of the room in the bar area.   

Ideally, it could be set for the idle times, or a button to turn it on or off.  My other option is to hard wire in a switch before the amp but then I'll lose volume control, etc.   Plus I'd like it to automatically flip between the two sources.   

Thanks for a great program!   

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Line In Passthru?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:53:17 am »
I don't think this is something I can do.  You're asking me to control the hardware mixer's input settings, but the only part of the mixer the audio library I'm using can control is the output.  Controlling the mixer will be different for every sound card.

Now there may be a setting in your DOS mixer program to turn the line in input on and off via a hotkey, but the jukebox's keyboard handler will likely override that.

Couldn't you put a switch on the line-in cable between the amp and the PC, and set the DOS mixer to always include line in?

In the next version of DOSCab, I'm planning on adding some form of external controls such as flipping a keyboard LED; you'd be able to connect this LED output to a relay to trigger off MSG_IDLE, which would give you what you want... do it with a physical switch for now and you can exchange the switch for a relay when the new functionality is in.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

MrD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:04 am »
I'll play around with the mixer and see what I can do.    Maybe you are right and it has a switch built in already.    I'm pretty sure it could be done in Windows, but I don't know about DOS.  I'll give it a try. 

Thanks!

MrD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:47:58 pm »
I was able to go into the DOS mixer and turn the mic volume up from 0 and it worked just like i was hoping.    I played around with a microphone and was able to sing along with the music (technically worked great but the singing was bad).  So I guess it will work for both karaoke and my home theater.   

I'll hard wire it in or with a manual switch for the time being (home theater, microphone, or off).   Once you get the LED switches to work, I'll hook up a relay like you suggested. 

Thanks for the ideas!