Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOT/Xenophobe to Tron Joystick conversion  (Read 29559 times)

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
DOT/Xenophobe to Tron Joystick conversion
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:21:47 pm »
Ever wish you had an original Tron joystick so you could play the game the way it was supposed to be played? I can't get you an original but I can get you close. I've started making the restrictors that make a Tron stick a Tron stick. To see what I mean take a look at the attached pdf file.

*Edit* The PDF was wrong. It's now fixed and hopefully more accurate.
Encryptor

Hello,

FYI - I don't  make or sell the restrictors anymore but someone I know sent me the link below to someone that is selling them online. They're a bit more expensive then I was selling them for. Hopefully they're still selling them. Take care and good luck.

Tron Restrictor at Arcadefixit.com

https://www.arcadefixit.com/product.sc?productId=2384&categoryId=-1

Encryptor
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:04:47 pm by Encryptor »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: DOT/Gorf to Tron Joystick conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:59:04 pm »
Pretty good write up.

I haven't broken down my GORF's into their base components yet (having trouble locating the appropriate security bit). But there's a couple of things that might need clarification, either on my end or yours.

I don't know where the bend is on the DoT stick, but Gorf looks like it lacks the bend. It's a straight stick.

I can't vouch for the first restrictor (the one you made a copy of), I didn't think to look for it when I examined my sticks. But the red restrictor doesn't exist. Instead Gorf uses a thick rubber grommet, as a sort of pseudo-restrictor I suppose. Where the red restrictor is supposed to go is on a plate with leaf switches. Gorf sticks don't have this plate. Instead the stick is attached to a sliding plate assembly which triggers optical sensors (think of how a mouse works). From what I can readily recall (I don't have the sticks before me right now), modifying the plate assembly and maintaining compatibility with the optical circuit board wouldn't be very easy.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:16:51 pm »
Oh, forgot this is BST.

How much are you intending to sell the restrictors for?

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:28:27 pm »
Oh, forgot this is BST.

How much are you intending to sell the restrictors for?

In the PDF, he said they were $7 plus S/H.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:37:02 pm »
Hmmm.... I don't know if there are variations of the Gorf stick. The one I have I bought from Ebay and it was advertised as a Gorf joystick. Maybe it's not an original Gorf stick. It's a little different than a DOT stick so I'm not sure. Since your Gorf stick doesn't have the restrictor on the bottom maybe the stick I have is actually variation of a DOT stick.

The Tron and DOT sticks also have the rubber grommet in the center of the stick. I think it just adds some stiffness to the movement and returns the stick to center.

I'd be very curious to know what the differences are between your stick and the one I have. After looking at a Gorf in KLOV and one for sale on Ebay it does appear that they have a straight shaft to the joystick. That makes them even more like a Tron in that aspect.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a bit set that contains like a 100 different security bits. It was only like $10. It had the one I needed to take apart the Tron handles.

Take a better look at your Gorf stick if you can and take some pics if at all possible. Thanks for the heads up on the difference.

I'm asking $7 plus shipping for the restrictor.

Encryptor

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:55:52 pm »
Hm mm.... I don't know if there are variations of the Gorf stick. The one I have I bought from Ebay and it was advertised as a Gorf joystick. Maybe it's not an original Gorf stick. It's a little different than a DOT stick so I'm not sure. Since your Gorf stick doesn't have the restrictor on the bottom maybe the stick I have is actually variation of a DOT stick.

I'm not a 100% certain about that bottom restrictor. On the Gorf stick, I was focusing more on repairing the circuit board and trying to figure out how it works than the specific components of the rest of the stick. I definitely don't remember seeing anything that looks like a red restrictor. I'll be more than happy to go home and look for it. It's possible they used a different colored plastic, but I think it's more likely an integral part of the trigger plate above the circuit board.

I'd be very curious to know what the differences are between your stick and the one I have. After looking at a Gorf in KLOV and one for sale on Ebay it does appear that they have a straight shaft to the joystick. That makes them even more like a Tron in that aspect.

Here is one of the photos of one of my Gorfs. That is a photo after I removed the circuit board for repairs, but I don't recall if it's before or after I removed the trigger plate there.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a bit set that contains like a 100 different security bits. It was only like $10. It had the one I needed to take apart the Tron handles.

Sounds like a steal, I'll check it out. All the specialty shops I checked out are asking at least $5 just for one bit, and none of them have the bit I need.

Take a better look at your Gorf stick if you can and take some pics if at all possible. Thanks for the heads up on the difference.

No problem. If I don't get too wrapped up tonight on housework, I'll snap some better shots.

I'm asking $7 plus shipping for the restrictor.

Doh! You did say that in the PDF didn't you? :-[

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:43:26 pm »

I'm not a 100% certain about that bottom restrictor. On the Gorf stick, I was focusing more on repairing the circuit board and trying to figure out how it works than the specific components of the rest of the stick. I definitely don't remember seeing anything that looks like a red restrictor. I'll be more than happy to go home and look for it. It's possible they used a different colored plastic, but I think it's more likely an integral part of the trigger plate above the circuit board.

Thanks I appreciate it. It definitely looks very similar to the one I have. Mine didn't have any kind of a circuit board on it though. It basically looked like a DOT stick but was black(rusty) and had black handles.

Encryptor

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:17:37 pm »
Anyone else that has a Gorf joystick that they can take some detailed hi-res pictures would be greatly appreciated. I may have to update my conversion doc but at least it will be right.

Thanks.

Encryptor

NoOne=NBA=

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:54:04 pm »
Gorf used the straight handle, and was an optical 8-way.
It didn't have the restrictor and leafswitches on the bottom.
It had two sliders, similar to the 49-way sticks.
When the stick was centered, there was a tab for each axis that was centered between two optical sensor assemblies for that direction.
When the stick was moved in a direction that tab would block one of the two sensors, to let the game know that you moved the stick in that direction.

My guess about your "Gorf" stick with leafswitches is that it was either a DOT or a Xenophobe stick.
Those are the two that are nearly identical.
The major difference between those two is that the Xeno stick has two thumb buttons.

There are some different versions of the trigger assemblies for the various sticks.
Gorf had the light up rear plate that had light bulbs on either side of the trigger assembly.
Some of the newer Xenophobe sticks used a mounting plate that was held in place by the thumb buttons, rather than screwed to the side of the stick like Tron.
I've even seen what I think are aftermarket conversions that use the newer Happ microswitch system in place of the original leafswitches.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:25 pm »
Gorf used the straight handle, and was an optical 8-way.
It didn't have the restrictor and leafswitches on the bottom.
It had two sliders, similar to the 49-way sticks.
When the stick was centered, there was a tab for each axis that was centered between two optical sensor assemblies for that direction.
When the stick was moved in a direction that tab would block one of the two sensors, to let the game know that you moved the stick in that direction.

My guess about your "Gorf" stick with leafswitches is that it was either a DOT or a Xenophobe stick.
Those are the two that are nearly identical.
The major difference between those two is that the Xeno stick has two thumb buttons.

There are some different versions of the trigger assemblies for the various sticks.
Gorf had the light up rear plate that had light bulbs on either side of the trigger assembly.
Some of the newer Xenophobe sticks used a mounting plate that was held in place by the thumb buttons, rather than screwed to the side of the stick like Tron.
I've even seen what I think are aftermarket conversions that use the newer Happ microswitch system in place of the original leafswitches.

Thank you for the great information on the Gorf stick. From what you said it appears I must have gotten either the DOT or Xeno stick. The insert for the stick was missing when I bought it. Actually it sounds like I got a stick that was put together from pieces someone had. It is an 8-way stick that is bent like a DOT stick but doesn't have the button in the insert for Deflect that a DOT stick should have. It has the black handles like a Gorf or Xeno stick. I've even seen a few pics of Tron and DOT machines that have black handles.

I guess I'll have to redo my conversion doc and change it to DOT/Xenophobe.

Thanks again to everyone for the information they provided.

Encryptor

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
Re: DOT/Xenophobe to Tron Joystick conversion
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 09:23:53 pm »
I fixed the PDF file. Hopefully it's more accurate now and people can convert their sticks if they want to. Thanks again for everyones help.

Encryptor

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:29:36 am »
The bend in the DOT/Xeno sticks does make it a bit less tiring to repeatedly hit the thumb buttons.
And Xenophobe came with black handles, but had colored backplates (red/yellow/blue) that distinguished between players.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 05:44:44 am »
Bump

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 05:33:55 pm »
Bump Bump

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:21 pm »
Damn, I knew I forgot something. AARRGH.

Maybe this coming week, I'll actually remember.  :banghead:

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 07:21:32 pm »
Bumpity, Bumpity, Bump!

ataritoobin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2016, 11:06:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 01:34:01 pm »
I've got an extra Yellow Xenophobe stick assembly if anybody is interested.  Let me know!

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 04:13:54 pm »
Just received one of these restrictors from Endryptor in today's mail.  I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it sure looks good.  He's obviously got a good mold, and the material he's using feels about right compared to my memory of the real deal. 

Thanks Encryptor!

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 04:30:57 pm »
Just received one of these restrictors from Endryptor in today's mail.  I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it sure looks good.  He's obviously got a good mold, and the material he's using feels about right compared to my memory of the real deal. 

Thanks Encryptor!

Kremmit - Thanks for the kind words. It took me a while to find the urethane I use to make them. I'm glad you are satisfied.  :)

Encryptor

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 06:58:31 pm »
I just got mine too, and would second Kremmit's remarks.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 08:11:56 pm »
Also, here are some pics I snagged off an ebay auction earlier, that show the top and bottom of a Gorf stick.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 07:06:47 am »
NoOne=NBA= - Thanks and thanks for the pics to. It looks like the stick I received was a Xenophobe stick. It is bent like a DOT sticks and has leafs on the bottom. Although you can't really tell what the top (under the dust washer) looks like the rest of the stick looks basically like a Tron stick. It looks like the rubber centering grommet is the same and the bottom portion of the stick looks the same as well except it doesn't have leafs.

If the restrictor in the top is the same I don't see why you couldn't do the same with that stick and turn it into a 4-way. It might be worth looking on Ebay for a Gorf stick just to see. Thanks again.

Encryptor

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:47:23 am »
Bump for NOOB's

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:56 pm »
So how are sales going on these?

With as many people as have complained about the zig-zags in the past, I'd think they'd be selling left and right.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 10:42:27 pm »
Far from good. I've sold 3 to one person and one each to two others. I'm a little surprised myself. Who knows. Maybe people don't understand this.

Encryptor.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:51 pm »
I can't believe Kremmit only bought one from you.
He has to get two more now because I have three, and he can't stand to have less of anything than I do.
We try really hard to keep our collections perfectly matched, but every now and then they get out of whack.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 11:23:24 pm »
Far from good. I've sold 3 to one person and one each to two others. I'm a little surprised myself. Who knows. Maybe people don't understand this.

Encryptor.

I can think of a few possible reasons for the lack of response:

1)  Perhaps the current crop of n00bs doesn't care about Tron anymore, just Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat? 

2)  Maybe there still plenty of folks into games Tron's age, but unwilling to add a triggerstick to their panel due to the current bias against "Frankenpanels"?

3)  Are U-360s and 49-ways with their fancy electronic restriction dealing with the zig-zags well enough that folks don't feel the need anymore?

4)  Maybe people don't even know these are out there.  Not everybody reads B/S/T.  A thread in the main forum full of pictures documenting a stick conversion might get more views.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 11:24:58 am »
Bump back to the front.

Encryptor

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 12:28:48 am »
wow,  had no idea these were available.

Saint should post these as Front page news.

Ill be ordering soon.

:)

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
Great Work
I'll order some

I think these would also work in a Happ 8way trigger stick
When I get one and test it out I'll post the results

Thanks for all the work and documentation!

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 06:35:02 am »
Bump for new interest!

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 06:57:21 am »
Shameless bump  :)

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:58 am »
Bump - Still selling these.  :)

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 01:13:14 am »
Great Work
I'll order some

I think these would also work in a Happ 8way trigger stick
When I get one and test it out I'll post the results

Thanks for all the work and documentation!
Any Idea if it works on a stock happ 8-way ?

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 03:41:02 pm »
I really have no idea. I don't own a stock Happ 8-way. 

From the exploded diagram on this page it looks like it would.

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/50997000x.htm

The centering grommet from that joystick works in an original Tron joystick.

Encryptor

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 06:46:22 pm »
Any Idea if it works on a stock happ 8-way ?

I don't have one either, but I've got about every other version.
The upper restrictors are freely swappable in every other version of the stick, so my educated guess would be that it will work in the Happ as well.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 05:45:29 am »
New Years Bump.  ;D

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 03:53:54 pm »
Still have some of these!

Encryptor

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 10:08:11 pm »
Got the restrictors and they are great!!!!
I'll check to see if they fit in the happ stick soon

FantaStick work Encryptor!

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 04:28:46 pm »
Bender,

Thanks for the kind words. Did you find out if it fits a Happ yet?

Encryptor