Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mounting control panel artwork  (Read 3270 times)

LurkingLizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 07:42:33 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Mounting control panel artwork
« on: April 30, 2003, 11:51:30 pm »
I'm thinking of building an arcade control panel, and I'm wondering about how to put artwork under lexan.  Most of what I've read mentions glues, or adhesive films, etc...

Is it okay to just have it printed on paper, and held in place between the wood and the lexan by the controls, and the bolts holding the lexan to the wood?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Mounting control panel artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 12:17:59 am »
Just use spray adhesive...if you just leave it like that then you will see bubbles.
Home depot carries spray adhesive.. :)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 09:34:32 am »
I'm thinking of building an arcade control panel, and I'm wondering about how to put artwork under lexan.  Most of what I've read mentions glues, or adhesive films, etc...

Is it okay to just have it printed on paper, and held in place between the wood and the lexan by the controls, and the bolts holding the lexan to the wood?

The best way IMO is to laminate it and just lay it under the lexan.  The holes for the buttons/joysticks keep it in place.  This will eliminate all bubbles, it's removable, and just looks better than regular paper under lexan.  look at my site for examples.

Smittydc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2008, 12:48:10 am
  • because its fun!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 10:03:23 am »
you don't need adhesive -- the buttons will keep it in place just fine.
Depending on the size of your CP, I wouldn't bother with the bolts holding the lexan to the wood either -- they look ugly.

I printed on vinyl at kinkos, no laminate, and no bubbles.  

Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night.  Set a man on fire, he's warm the rest of his life.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 02:09:12 pm »
Many original control panels would use vinyl and then staple it to the back of the control panel.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

LurkingLizard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 07:42:33 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 09:54:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go with the laminated print or vinyl, since I may want to change the artwork every now and then.  Any pros or cons between the two of those options?

Also...
"Depending on the size of your CP, I wouldn't bother with the bolts holding the lexan to the wood..."
I'm actually planning on making 2 single player panels, so they'd be small(probably 16"x10"), with most of the controls based around the center, rather than at the left & right ends of the board, if that matters.