Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First Project Announcement...  (Read 7065 times)

WCBoudreaux

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2022, 07:20:41 pm
My First Project Announcement...
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:57:40 pm »
Ok guys, I've been off of here for a little while, because I've been gathering misc parts to start my first project...

There will be a series of 2 cabinets built for this project, which will be Dragon's Lair, and Space Ace cabinets running Daphne... I'm using Jakobud's plans for the cabinets, and if all goes well, will be getting my wood this weekend! WOOHOO! Can't wait!

As I stated, I've been gathering certain parts that I'll need to make my cabinets near "Authentic"... Here's a list of what I've got so far for the cabinets... I'm buying everything in pairs at this point, because alot of the original parts are very hard to find... Price reflects 1 cabinet, so if you'd like to know what I spent on both cabs, then multiply my total x 2...

2 Repro 3 sided Marquee Plexis
2 Original 3 sided Marquee Plexis - With MINT artwork!
2 Repro Control Panels
2 Repro Scoreboard Plexis
2 Original Scoreboards - With ALL of the mounting hardware!
2 "Daphne" Scoreboard cables - To make my scoreboard work with the computer!
2 Original Scoreboard Cables - For when I eventually find LD players, and LD's for my cab!

Total cost so far (for 1 cabinet) $385.79

Things I already had before this project's planning stages...

1 I-Pac
1 19" TV
1 Complete PC to run Daphne
1 18" Florescent fixture for Marquee Lighting

And of course, I'll be posting my progress every step of the way, showing pics, (I know how u guys love pics!) with each post once the building actually begins (hopefully as soon as I get the wood)...

The weather has been really nice for the last few days, so I'm going to take advantage of it before it changes!!

Things I still need...

2 Wico 8 Way Joysticks - Leafswitch
4 Red Buttons - Leafswitch
4 White Buttons - Leafswitch
1 Roll of Vinyl for the sides
Art work for Space Ace Cabinet
Art work for Dragon's Lair Cabinet
3 Atari Cone switches for Space Ace Cabinet
T-Molding
4 - 8" Speakers
2 Tempered Smoked Monitor Glass

And that's all I can think of at the moment... I'm sure I'll find more as I get to those staged in the project... I'll post pics tomorrow of the Scoreboards, and Scoreboard Plexis... The Control Panels will be here Friday via UPS! And when they arrive, I'll post some pics of them as well!

Thanks for taking the time to read this! It's gonna be a long fun ride!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
Re: My First Project Announcement...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:34:24 pm »
I also wanted to ask...  I've seen numerous posts about people building this exact cabinet, but I've yet to see any pics, or any discussion about their journey... Other than the Mini Dragon's Lair cab...

Are there any peeps that have built this cab, and have documented their progress with pics and the like?

I know for a fact, judging by the marquee plexi I have, that the marquee area of Jakobud's plans are off a pretty good bit... The size, and shape are right, but the lower piece of the marquee is angled way too low in the back... Which in turn, pushes the scoreboard area down too far, and also makes the monitor angle really low, almost flat... I plan to solve this as I work on the cabinet... But I just wanted to know if any one else has documented a build of this cab...

Pics coming of a few parts later today!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:20 pm »
Well... I was hoping to get my wood today... But guess what? It freakin' rained all day  :badmood:

So... Needless to say, I wasn't able to get my wood... But... There's always tomorrow I suppose... I'm sure if any one is following this thread, that you're wondering where the pics are... Well, I'm getting a battery charger for my cam tomorrow, so I'll get pics then... Scout's Honor!  :P I actually thought it would be here today, but I guess it'll be tomorrow now...

More to come... Stay tuned!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:30:16 pm »
Ok... I was able to get my wood yesterday (Saturday) and I got started on my cabinet as soon as I got home... I was able to get every piece that u see, out of 2 pieces of MDF... I would have been able to get the front (Coin door area) out too, but I made a HUGE miscaculation, and wasn't able to squeeze it out in the end...

I'm thinking of using this as my "Practice Run" because of the amount of mistakes I made... Alot of the mistakes I made was due to not being familuar with some of my new tools... Another factor was, I had people over, and they were distracting me a bit... SO... I'm going to start over probably next weekend, and not have any people over hehe... Also, I'm going to make a whole lot of practice cuts with my new saw, and get familuar with how the blade lines up with the line, vs the way the indicator "claims" it's lined up... Also, I need a flush trim bit to be able to clean up those holes for the fan, air vents, and power... But all in all I think it's a good first attempt for never having done any serious wood work before...

Any way, hope to have a better run next weekend...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:37:20 pm by WCBoudreaux »

jono

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 03:46:31 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:08:55 pm »
hi ya

I've been thinking about making one of these myself will be good to see what problems you find i was going to do it pretty much the same way your doing yours with the jukobud plans as well.

did you get most of your parts from e bay?

also i found this guys site maybe useful but i think you guys may have seen it before.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/d/jdelouis/WebPages/AllisterFiendsWebsite/AllisterFiendsWebsiteDragonsLair.htm

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »
Well just a heads up, the lower marquee panel, scoreboard, and monitor area of Jakobud's plans are the right size, but wrong angle... I'm hoping I'll be able to sort it out... So I'll definately let u know what I have to do to get those right...

I had a fellow member on another forum give me some plans that he built his cabinet with... Very precise... If u like, I could PM them to u... I'm actually waiting for a few more measurements around the monitor area... So as soon as I have those, I'll have a more accurate set of DL cabinet plans... Which I'll probably be building my cabinet from instead...

I've been getting my parts from people at http://www.dragons-lair-project.com... So far, nothing has come from ebay... I could also PM you a list of people, and what they have if u like... So far, the original scoreboards were the hardest to come by... But you should sign up, and post in the classifieds what you're looking for, and some one will email u... In most cases, I received an email within an hour...

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out for sure! I'll post any problems I have once I start building the actual cab... As I said, this was pretty much a practice run of it... Also, when u start yours, you should post your progress as well... It would be nice to have some one to compare notes with!

:cheers:

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:01:54 pm »
The mistakes aren't real obvious from your pictures... Immediately identifiable as a Dragons Lair cab, thats for sure.

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »
Well thanks TOK!  :cheers:

They were rather simple mistakes, but one really bad one that I can't live with... So, I'll write this one off as practice, and focus a little more on my cuts this next time...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:55:40 pm by WCBoudreaux »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:33:45 am »
Cool project!!

haha yes it's better to be "in the zone" and focus on the task ;)
Take care. Looking forward to see this one come together... Post LOTS of pics remember!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:33:22 pm »
Lookin good dude. Looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

spacies

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:12:10 pm »

I was able to indentify it as a Dragons Lair cab straight up too.

It probably helps as the last time I saw a DL cab was when I was 15. Some 22 years ago, lol.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 01:18:31 am »
Ah, new project...excuse to buy new tools. 

If you're very green with woodworking, you may ask a coworker, neighbor, or friend for advice.  A little help goes a long way.  Of course, you can always ask here.  Some of these guys on this forum are wood working wizards.  A word of advice...don't lose an eye or finger, you might need them later. 

Good luck with the build and welcome to the hobby.

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 04:41:58 am »
ARTIFACT ~ Thanks! I know how u guys like pics, so I promise, there will be tons of them! hehe I'm currently on hold until this weekend tho... I have to get more wood... And I've told EVERYONE, don't bother me this weekend coming up! HEHE

Leapinlew ~ Thanks for the props!

Spacies ~ I know where you're coming from... Although I was only 10 years old when I saw my first Dragon's Lair, I was instantly in love with the game from first glance... And to hear some one say they knew what it was right off, without having seen one for 22 years, is a compliment and a half! Thanks!

TheCoder ~ New tools indeed... I think the wife had caught on tho... HAHA I am not really green so much, just haven't done a whole lot of projects like this on my own... I've helped other people do things such as building storage rooms, cabinets etc... And I've been helping my dad since I was 8 years old... Which I'd call him a master carpenter, and also, where I've picked up my knowledge over the years... So I do have someone relatively close if I need help out of a quick jam... And also, I know there's a lot of really cool peeps on here, that would be glad to help out as well! Which makes me feel comfortable enough to attempt this project! And I'll try my best (trust me) to keep the injuries to a minimum.... HEHE Thanks for the warm welcome!

I picked up a few more tools yesterday, like a countersink, and some straight cut router bits... And I'll be ready to start this thing up again this weekend... I can't wait... Very eager... I'm expecting UPS to deliver a few more parts today (Tuesday) as well too... My original speaker grills! WOOOHOOO!! I'll try and get pics of all of the items I have so far... This go around, I'll take pics of everything... Not just the cabinet I've assembled... Because I know some where out there, someone will want to recreate this cabinet, and maybe my pics will help them...

Well, thanks so much for the kind words, and the very warm welcome!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 06:43:22 pm »
I got up this morning, and it's raining... And is supposed to rain up until Friday... Almost a week of rain... Did that stop me? No... I waited for it to slack off, and went to buy a tarp! Then off to Lowe's I went! Got to Lowe's, and no rain! WoooooHooooo! Went to get my MDF, got it on the buggy, got to the check out counter... RAIN... Damnit!! So what now? MDF can't get wet... The guy at the counter told me, "Hey man, I've got you covered!" then quickly proceeds to wrap my 2 sheets of MDF in plastic... I had my tarp as well... So he and another worker load it without so much as one scratch, and it's now water proof! I tipped the 2 guys $10, and started heading back to my house...

Back at my house, I quickly unloaded the wood, and Set both pieces on my saw horses... The rain hadn't started back up yet, and I was seeing a few spots of blue in the sky... I looked down at my wood, and had an idea... I'd get the pieces flush with each other, clamp them down, get my measurements (checking numerous times), and cut both of the sides at once... And that's just what I did... Here's my progress so far... Both Sides are cut out, and all imperfections have been sanded, making boths pieces identical! So, it wasn't a wasted day...

Tomorrow I Plan to get up, and see how the weather looks... I'm working under a carport, so a little rain won't bother me... I'm more worried about the wind, blowing the rain under the area where I'm working... If it looks good when I get up, I plan to layout all of the other pieces of the cab... Like the Top Marquee panel, the Lower Marquee panel, the Coin Door panel, the scoreboard panel, and all 3 pieces that make up the back of the cabinet (excluding the door)... If I get most or all of those done, I can assemble the pieces inside my house... That is, if I can Talk my wife into it... hehe

See my Juno First cab sitting to the left? That'll be a restoration as soon as I'm done with both of my Dragon's Lair cabinets!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 06:45:56 pm by WCBoudreaux »

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 06:51:18 pm »
Ahhh man, with a WHOLE week full of rain, I didn't get much done until today... I cut all of my pieces out while the rain was taking a break, then assembled alot of them inside... Today, was the first clear day we've had since Saturday... So, I did a little painting...

First off, I know the cabs are supposed to have vinyl on certain parts... But with that vinyl being so exspensive, I decided to paint, using a textured roller for the "Vinyl Look"...

Ok, here we go...

Here's the assembled cab... Well, mostly assembled... I still have to put the lower marquee panel, and the monitor bezel support on... Also, the back door, but that's probably the easiest piece of the puzzle...

Here's the scoreboard area... There will be a plexi that goes over this piece, so I didn't bother filling in the screw holes... I just countersunk them... Scoreboard in the middle, and a speaker on each side...

And, here's the lower marquee panel, and the monitor bezel support piece... I went ahead and painted them, now all I have to do is install them once the paint is good and dry...

The back of the cab... On the real machines, the bottom would be a LaserDisc player drawer... Since I don't have all of that, I just built it as one piece.... Bottom vent, and above, is the hole where a fan will be installed to blow the hot air out of the cab... Somewhere around that area, I'll have a hole for my power cord to run into the cab... Not sure where I wanna put it just yet tho...

And here's the top vent...  I have some perforated (sp?) metal that will go on the inside of these vents, to give it a more clean, sleek look...

And the last pic, the front of the cab... Here is where my coin door will be... I haven't cut out the hole yet, because I'm still looking for an original Cinematronics Coin door... If I can't find one soon, I'll have to just get one that looks like it from HAPP... As much as I hate dealing with those guys...

Any way, that's about all so far... I'm going to get another piece of wood tomorrow for my back door, and cash box tray... So I'll post more pics once I'm done with those... Tomorrow, I will probably be putting in the remaining pieces as well...

Thanks for looking!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 06:57:46 pm »
2 things I noticed from my pics...

1 - I really need to dust those spider webs from under my carport... I'm terrified of spiders, so it won't be getting done by me...

2 - I need to paint everything behind the vents, or you'll be able to see that it's NOT painted when u look through the back of the cab...

That's all.. Thanks!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 01:39:42 pm »
Well, I didn't get much done yesterday... But I seem to have made up for it today! And I gotta tell ya, it may not seem like much progress, but it's really starting look like a Space Ace conversion cab!! I'm sooooo stoked... Just a few weeks ago, this was only a dream of mine... Now it's sitting in my room!!

Ok, without any more delay,  let's get to the pics... I didn't take many, because I'm not exactly done for the day... And there will most likely be more pics in a few hours any way... hehe

My cab now has the ORIGINAL marquee, Scoreboard plexi, AND original Scoreboard PCB installed!! I'm loving it... Please excuse the excitement... I can't help it... hehe

A close up of the scoreboard area... It doesn't take much to get fingerprints all over it that's for sure...

And the cab in the current stage... Excuse the mess... hehe I've got stuff just thrown around at the moment...

I'm about to mount my cashbox shelf, and if time permits, I'll go ahead and install my monitor bezel support panel and back door... Which only leaves a very few things left to do! And, to keep up with "BYOAC" tradition, I'll take a picture of the marquee lit up once it gets dark enough to be able to see it in all of it's glory! hehe

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »
Well... I'm starting to get down to the nitty gritty it seems... Progress has been moving at a steady pace up until now... Now, it's a matter of getting those remaining parts to finish it up...

I still need the art work, the monitor mounting brackets, the coin door, the monitor plexi, and that's about it I think... I ordered my T-Molding today... So that's one thing I can take off of the list...

Any way, I've made a good bit of progress today, but it just doesn't seem like much... Oh well... Let's get on with the pictures...

http://home.comcast.net/~wns2006/11.JPG

Here she is... Sitting pretty... I got the monitor bezel support installed as u can see in this picture... What you can't see, is my cashbox shelf installed... But trust me, it's there... hehe

http://home.comcast.net/~wns2006/12.JPG

Marquee light on... AND, if you look really closely, you can see my scoreboard lit up... I put it on 2 player, and just let it run on it's on for the purpose of this picture...

http://home.comcast.net/~wns2006/13.JPG

Here's my backdoor, with the lock installed... 3/4" paddle bit, a long shaft lock, and I'm set! I still need to put my 1/4" piece of wood inside the cab for the lock to catch on... It was like that originally, so I figure I'll do it as well...

http://home.comcast.net/~wns2006/14.JPG

A close up of my working scoreboard...   ;D

http://home.comcast.net/~wns2006/15.JPG

And a close up of my monitor bezel support... The plastic bezel completely covers this piece up, so I figured I didn't need to fill in the screw holes since they won't be seen any way... The only thing this piece does, is support the plastic bezel... Seems a little bit like overkill, but hey, that's how they did it on the original cabinets, that's how I did it on mine... HEHE

Well, that's all she wrote for today... Tomorrow, I won't get much done because I have a lot of running around to do... And I don't know if I'll be able to do much to it Thursday either due to work related stuff... So, I'll probably get back on it again this weekend...

Again, thanks for looking...

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:09 pm »
Well, I can't seem to edit my posts any more, so I guess you guys will have to just click on the links to see the pics...

Sorry for the screwup...

mcfreak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 01:55:04 pm
  • Asteroids moving along...
    • Hobby Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 09:23:28 pm »
Looks really good.  I just found a space ace game at 75% books so this makes me want to go run it.

Love the progress. :notworthy: :notworthy:

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 09:28:50 pm »
Thanks mcfreak! Wasn't sure if any one was even watching this thread... hehe

Thanks for the compliment! I feel really good about this cab so far... Can't wait to get the monitor, CP, and computer mounted so I can play it!! hehe

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:36 pm »
 :applaud:

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 09:39:52 pm »
Thanks leapinlew!  :cheers:

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 07:41:24 pm »
WOW Things are really slowing down right at the end of my project... Right now, I'm pretty much done until I get the rest of my parts... I kinda figure my T-Molding will be here tomorrow... I can get that on... And I plan to order my monitor mounting brackets tomorrow... I really need a coin door... But I've only seen one Cinematronics coin door, and that was Asmida's... I sent him a message asking if he still had it, but so far, I haven't heard back from him... Hopefully he'll say he still has it...

Any way... On to the pics...

I got my monitor plexi today... It's dark bronze... Just like the original... I plan to make a small run of these, so if any one is looking for a monitor plexi for a DL cab, let me know...

I also got the Control Panel on, and my buttons, and wico installed... All are leafswitch...

A closer shot... If you look to the right of the CP, you'll notice 4 holes... Space Ace only needs 3... I got 2 of these panels really cheap because there was an extra hole in them... No biggie... I'll just fill the extra with epoxy or something... I still haven't ordered my artwork yet... I have to wait for my money to get right again... hehe Plus, the fair is in town... SO, gotta take the wife out a few times...  ;D

And of course, the speakers are mounted... These aren't the originals... But, I figure the 24 year old original speakers may not sound good, so I went ahead and bought some new ones... These are full range 8" 8ohm ceiling speakers... Got 'em pretty cheap...  ;D

And at last, a pic of the back door... I got the lock installed a couple of days ago, and it works like a charm! That's a metal plate around it, just incase you think I goofed up the hole... HAHA

Here's what I've really been working on for the last 2 days... Getting the system that is going to be running the cab working... I've got it where when u turn the computer on, it automatically boots Space Ace... NICE... Picture is kinda choppy, but I assure u, that is the camera... It looks great on the 19" Monitor...

And last... Another shot of Space Ace running... I seem to have caught it right as there was an explosion... Colors look great, game runs great, and I can't wait to get it in my cabinet and start playing it!!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 06:26:44 pm »
Not much going on at the moment... I ordered my coin door, and monitor mounting brackets today (saturday)... So when they arrive, I will be adding them to my cabinet... First thing, will be to get the coin door mounted... Once it's mounted, I'll install my monitor... Then all that's left will be the plastic monitor bezel, and artwork... It's come a long way in a short time... I can't wait to wrap this thing up!

So, I'll post more pics as soon as the coin door, and monitor mounting brackets arrive, and I get them installed...

Also, let me tell you, I ordered 40' of "Black Leather" T-Molding from "TwistedQuarter" http://www.tiwstedquarter.com and they shorted me 20'... I called them immediately, and talked to the owner, and he was a really friendly guy, and said he'd get my other 20' out to me ASAP... I'll keep you guys posted on that as well...

I installed the 20' that I did receive, and it's going to look SWEET once I get the other 20' installed!  ;D

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 06:28:10 pm »
ooops, that link is http://www.twistedquarter.com

A little dislexia on the previous post...  :-[

TheRed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2010, 12:40:19 pm
  • Always help people.
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 02:08:59 pm »
looks great!  :cheers:

Will

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2012, 03:32:27 am
  • Finished Lurking.....
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 05:42:52 pm »
Really nice work:)

Was wondering where did you get the speaker mesh?Really need to get some of that.

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »
TheRed ~ Thanks!

Will ~ Those are original speaker grilles... I'm actually in the process of making a run of reproduction speaker grilles... I can let u know as soon as they're done if you like...

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 07:41:40 pm »
Ok... Not a HUGE update... But still, it's an update...

Got my coin door in, and mounted... Now I gotta replace those yellow coin rejects, with red ones... Oh well... The little things...  :P

I also got my monitor mounting brackets in... I ran out of time today, so I didn't get the monitor mounted... BUT... It will be done tomorrow...  ;D And you guys can expect more pics...

Also, on the agenda for tomorrow, will be decase my computer, and get it mounted... I'll most likely try to hook it all up as well... If time allows...

I ordered my plastic monitor bezel, and all that's left, are the Atari cones and switches, and the artwork... Seems like I'm moving at a snail's pace now...  :dunno

Oh well... Hopefully, I'll be playing Space Ace in it's new cab tomorrow... If not tomorrow, DEFINATELY sometime this weekend!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 07:43:09 pm »
PS ~ In the middle of the coin door... That's my Reproduction Cinematronics sticker... It actually looks great when the flash doesn't make it look like crap...  :angry:

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2007, 02:28:14 am »
Alrighty, don't know if any one is still following this or not, but I got alot done this weekend... My old TV kinda went out on me, so I bought a brand new one to put in this cabinet, and I have to say, the colors are very vibrant!

Here's what I got done this weekend :

Control panel mounted
Plastic Monitor Bezel installed
Monitor Plexi installed
Computer installed
I-PAC installed, and completely wired up
Cooling Fan installed
I hacked some cheap Wal-Mart speakers, took the amp out, and mounted it... Sounds Great!

I'll get some better pics tomorrow of the computer installed, and some better pics of the game in action (without the flash)

So far, everything is working beautifully! I've even beat the game several times using the control panel (so much better than using a keyboard!)

Both coin slots work as they're supposed to, and I've already filled up my cash box!  ;D This sure is one hella fun piggy bank! Now I just gotta hide the keys from my wife!!  :laugh2:

Any way, about all that's left to do is :

Fill in the extra hole on my control panel
Order the artwork and install it
Install the brand new leaf swich buttons
Order and install the atari cones & switches
Run a main power cord... Which I now know how I plan to do this...

Then I can pretty much call this baby complete!

As I said, I'll post more pics tomorrow of the computer installed, and some overall better pics of the game in action!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:36 pm »
Wow, its amazing to see the transformation between your original 'rough cuts' (where the squares weren't very square!) and these recent shots. This is looking like a really well constructed cabinet and best of all you've got a very specific theme you're excited about so there's no questionable design points or artwork.

... and that paint job... awesome  :o

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »
Thanks dmworking247  :cheers:

I'm happy with the end result... Just waiting for the artwork, and those atari cones to wrap this one up...

As far as the paint job... Well... All I can say, is "Cheap Wal-Mart Rollers" and Acrylic Latex Semi Gloss...  ;D

If I were aiming for a smoother finish, I probably would have went with a foam roller...

Any way, thanks for the kind words!  :cheers: And I promise, more pics really soon!

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:48 pm »
As promised... Here's a few more pics... Mainly showing the inside of the cab...

Here's the monitor mounted... Having a few extra monitor frames laying around rally came in handy here... If you look to the left, you'll see where I scraped some of the paint off getting the monitor mounted... I gotta say, that Acrylic Latex is pretty tough... Nothing a little touchup won't fix  ;D

And here's my computer mounted... Nothing fancy... Just mounted to the side of the cab using PCB Mounting Feet from Happ...

Hard Drive mounted on the bottom... I found those "L" brackets at a local dollar store... $1 for a 4 pack, so I grabbed a few for future projects... hehe

I-PAC Mounted on the side, close to the Control Panel... If you look close enough, you'll see where I got a little too happy while cutting out the hole for the coin door...

And the back showing the fan... I have to put some sort of screen over the fan... I suppose I could use more of the "mesh" that I used on the upper and lower vents... Oh well... I have the fan blowing the hot air OUT of the cabinet... Wasn't sure which method would be best... So, if blowing out doesn't keep things cool, I'll turn it around, and have it bringing cool air from outside the cab, IN... Any suggestions here?

More pics when I get my art work, and atari cones!

As always, thanks for looking...  :cheers:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 09:07:26 pm »
Good update... coming along very nicely.

I like the fact that you even point out your mistakes, rather than taking the money shots and acting like everything goes perfectly. Too many people do that and it demoralises the newbies who think its just them who make mistakes.

Regarding the fans: Consider that hot air rises, cold air sinks. Fans at the top should suck hot air out, fans at the bottom should blow air in. If you have a fan high on the cabinet pulling air in the cabinet it'll be blowing the hot air back down around the cab... and the hot air will struggle to get out.

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »
Looks great so far,
One question are the speakers magnetically sheilded if not you may have some strange monitor effects if to close. Had that problem with my Mortal Kombat clone and had to switch to the right ones.
Keep the pics coming.
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 11:22:54 pm »
dmworking247 ~ Thanks for the props!

Great idea on the fan placement... The cab only has the one fan at the bottom... I have it blowing out, and so far, it's cool as can be inside... I may fool around with it, and keep an eye on my pc temp to see which one is more effective... I believe, originally, the builders had the fan blowing outward... Reason for this assumption, is that the fan sits above where the laserdisc player would go... The laserdisc player had a fan, that blew outward, the hot air would rise, then the fan would blow it out of the cab... I'm not 100% certain on this, but some one else said the same thing, and thought it was a pretty good idea to try...  :P

And yes, I point my mistakes out, because I'm a newbie, and this is all one BIG learning experience for me... But I gotta say, I'm definately proud of the outcome! So for any newbies out there wanting to try their hand at building a cab... By all means, give it a shot... I'm not a master wood worker by any means!  ;D

WaRpEd ~ Thanks!

I'm not sure if the speakers are shielded or not... They're made for home theater systems, but for the ceiling... So most likely, they're not... But, I haven't noticed any kind of discoloration on the monitor... But trust me, it's definately something I'm keeping a close eye on... So far so good...  :cheers:

Jetson

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 03:12:19 pm
  • Anger is our real enemy
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 01:13:21 pm »
Hey Looking Great!!!

I was wondering where you got your Coin Door Sticker...I am in need of one and a few other DL parts.

I recently bought a dead cab thinking I was going to convert it to MAME, when I figured out it was a converted DL cab.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=72629.0

Now I'm going to try to restore it as best as I can.  I might be hitting you up with questions when I get to the software side of running Daphne.  Especially about getting the scoreboard to work with a cpu. 

Also, if you have any spare parts you're wanting to sell, I might be interested.

Thanks,

Justin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:20:32 pm by Jetson »

WCBoudreaux

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 02:10:10 pm »
Hey, sorry I didn't see this sooner... I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have! Just PM me, or email me... Which ever you like...

The coindoor sticker... Some one made a run of them not too long ago... I actually have an extra one I'll send you...

As far as parts, in the Dragon's Lair community, it's pretty tight knit, so if I run across anything, I'll be sure to let u know...

I'm still waiting on artwork... I thought I had found some really cheap, but the guy had already sold it... So I guess it's back to saving for the high dollar stuff... hehe

Updates eventually I promise!  ::)