Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some updated pics  (Read 1969 times)

Brad Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Some updated pics
« on: April 30, 2003, 02:11:47 am »
Seems to be a few other updatred pics posts... good :)
Anyway, I havent really put any up of my CP since "finishing" it, so here's a few

First, the blank slate I had to work with..

(without cutting apart the cab ;))

Here's the layout I went with. 5/8"white laminated shelf, with 1/8" lexan over top. In these pics it looks like the buttons are far apart, but theyre really only 1/8" or a little less. The far right button is a P1, for some reason I only ordered 1 black. Duh. The 4 silver-y buttons at the top are atari led cone buttons(P1 start/coin, P2 start/coin)

1st shows the latches  Igot to hold the thing down. I need to readjust the latches slightly so they get better tension, but otherwise they hold it rock solid. On the right is the conenction between the panel and te encoder(more below) The cable is 25-pair telephone whips

Here's the guts of it(a little blurry but not bad)  T-sticks, 4 + 2 buttons, atari start buttons, and spinner(disk & optics from Oscar, knob and mounting from Omega Race) The white piece at the bottom is 1/2" wire molding with a few notches cut into the side where groups of wire come out

And here is the brains.. (this is shot thru the coin door)
On the left at are the Ipac and Optipac, the keyboard and serial cables run around to the back of the cabinet, and the motherboard is mounted directly "behind" these pieces, accessible from the back door. The wires coming out of the top of each of them run to the 66-block(typically these are used for conencting a phone system to where the wiring comes into the building). I forgot to get a snap of the 66-blcok cover, where Ive got everything labeled, but basically what I did was run each unique input on the ipac to a post on the block- 1up, 1left, 1right,1down,1b1,1b2 etc. 25pair cable has 50 wires:) and the total inputs for both I and Opti are 48, plus 1 for a shared ground and 1 for +5v. On the 2nd set of pins(on the block) that are conencted to the 1st, I connected the same color wires on the female 25pair cable I had, and this female end conencts to the control panel's male end. What's neat abotu this is that as long as I use the same color scheme for wiring the panel, I can have an unlimited number of panels using any combination of what the I and Opti will allow- WITHOUT ever having to touch the encoders. When I add new controls that arent on the control panel(coin mechs and cabinet switches anyone?) I jsut have to conenct them to the block in the right position- that's what the stray yellow n blue wires are, I just havent clipped them back yet

That's all Ive got right now.. welcome to any comments questions criticism or praise

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Re:Some updated pics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 02:14:12 am »
I still need artwork, and I bent my first attempt at a plexi shield to cover the ugly gap under the CP.  What I'm going for is simply a reproduction of the original Tempest CP that wraps around the whole front area. I'm trying plastics 'cuz Ill probably light a marquee in it or use bigger artwork

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re:Some updated pics
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 11:19:37 pm »
So, uh, work for the phone company?  ;)