Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Couldn't you get Happ Tokens, and use them at places like Chuck E.'s to ripoff  (Read 3367 times)

paulkortne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2003, 03:52:27 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
To rip 'em off?  100 happ tokens is $16.  100 quarters is $25 (duh).  I haven't been to Chuck E.'s in a while, so I don't remember how many tokens they give you per quarters (but I know it's more than the quarters).  But I'm pretty sure you could use this method to save some MOOLAH if you go to these kinds of places a lot.  

...but then again, maybe shipping costs for the tokens would even out the 16 to 25 gap?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Probably not the best idea. Easier to make friends with the employees and get free plays that way. At least that isn't stealing.

If I happen to come up to Dave & Busters while one of the employees is playing "Pump it Up", then I can usually get to play free while they are playing, as they use their free cards to load the machine.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

aj6500

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2003, 06:17:31 am
  • Does this rash look contagious?
hmmm. obtaining goods or services through false pretenses or methods...  I'm sure the fines will make up for the $9 you saved in fairly short order.  probably a bad idea.
They say patience is a virtue, and ignorance is bliss.  So I guess you can have a pretty good life if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
To rip 'em off?  100 happ tokens is $16.  100 quarters is $25 (duh).  I haven't been to Chuck E.'s in a while, so I don't remember how many tokens they give you per quarters (but I know it's more than the quarters).  But I'm pretty sure you could use this method to save some MOOLAH if you go to these kinds of places a lot.  

...but then again, maybe shipping costs for the tokens would even out the 16 to 25 gap?
Yeah that sounds like a good idea - NOT!  Hmm...i'm trying to think of a better way to drive yet another arcade further into the hole...and I'm coming up empty  :P

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
Well, you could always pry coin doors open, peel off side art, put cigarette burns all over the control panels, carve your initials in the side of the cabinet, try the quarter on the string trick, use the electronic lighter trick......

Oh wait, that was the 80's. Putting arcades out of business has been around as long as arcades themselves.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

AX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2004, 02:07:53 pm
  • The only way to win is to cheat!
or the tape on the dollar trick form more recent years.  

WTF is the electronic lighter trick?

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Heh....I used to use the tape on the dollar trick at my Junior High on a coke machine every day.  Dollar goes in, dollar comes back out, two quarters and a coke....dollar goes in, dollar comes back out, two quarters and a coke.

Good days.... :)
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!

WTF is the electronic lighter trick?

Something that worked in Missile Command. Something about sparking a lighter at the coin slot and getting 99 credits. I don't really remember how it worked.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

aj6500

• Offline Offline
I believe they used a piezo electric lighter to spark against a metal part on the cab.  The surge messed with the board on some games.
They say patience is a virtue, and ignorance is bliss.  So I guess you can have a pretty good life if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Sounds like some of you are speaking from experience. In case you didn't catch it, I was being sarcastic when I said  
Hmm...i'm trying to think of a better way to drive yet another arcade further into the hole...and I'm coming up empty

I'll spell it out more clearly:
I personally think vandalism and cheating of arcade machines is wrong, and I would think that others who enjoy building their own would hold the the same or a similar view.

I just don't think it's appropriate to discuss this, but that's just my opinion - obviously it's up to the moderators.  Sorry for the preach, I don't want to come off as preachy but some kids on these boards might get the wrong impression....

« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 10:01:12 am by Frostillicus »

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
These tricks are ancient history.  They haven't worked in years (I don't think we need to worry too much about anyone finding a Missile Command anywhere to get free credits on).  You can't put a quarter-on-a-string in a mech and pull it out anymore.  You couldn't even do that anymore by the time Super Mario Bros. hit the arcades.  Taped Dollars won't work either.  If kids get the idea from us that they'd like to rip off some vending or arcade machines they're going to have to get pretty creative.  We've already ruined it for them.  Just a little harmless reminiscing.  I certainly don't feel guilty for getting into a bit of petty mischief as a kid.

I think we all have a bit of a fascination with going to great lengths to play arcade games for free  ;D
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

aj6500

• Offline Offline
I always just bummed tokens from people.  In college however it was always a quest to get your laundry done for free.  a pair of $0.50 pantyhose would get you free laundry for months on some pay washing machines.  

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
Well, I somehow feel it is wrong to steal from arcade machines, but okay to steal from vending machines???

I'm just wierd, funny, my Dad has a friend (who is an operator) but makes most of his coin on vending machines.

Could you do the dollar on the string in todays pop machines? I have one down in my basement, I would be DEAD if I broke it... I could try it out; I sense a Feris Buellers day off  coming on...
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
I always just bummed tokens from people.  In college however it was always a quest to get your laundry done for free.  a pair of $0.50 pantyhose would get you free laundry for months on some pay washing machines.  

How'd that work?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
THat works with the ones that you put the coins in a tray and push the tray in.

Put the coins inside the pantyhose, and then in the tray. Push it in. THen pull it back out.

BillyJack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2011, 12:13:50 pm
  • Must...paint...cab...! Must...buy...marquee..!
Wouldn't that work with pool tables too (same coin op procedure)?  do the coins go in horizontally or vertically on those washing machines?  <shifty eyes go here...>

Now I've had my head in an elephant, a hippo, and a giant sloth.
-Homer

aj6500

• Offline Offline
Could work, used it w/the vertical loads.  The odds of having a bouncer toss  you against a wall is a little higher in a bar compared to the dorm laundrymatt.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Back to the origanel post, it seems like you get a bunch of tokens for a dollar at chuckys. Then there isn't a game in the place that works for less than 4 tokens. Probably cost you more to order your own tokens.

There are also different size tokens and a place like chuckys probably uses their own custom ones.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.