Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I finally got a pin...RESTORED AND LOVING IT.  (Read 49410 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: I finally got a pin...Starting the resto process.
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »
Now that my garage is a gameroom, I am getting back on this long, drawn out project. Last time I messed with it, I covered the playfield with a towel and set all the 'baggies' on the towel. When I cleaned it off a few weeks ago, I was pissed to find that the towel left  an indented pattern in a few areas. I have serious doubts about the long term durability of water based Polycrlyic!! This thing cured for well over a month initially, and cured an additional month or so before I ever put a towel on it.

Most of it buffed out with polishing compound and the buffing wheel. I don't want to polish anymore though, because I am afraid of taking off any more of the clearcoat. I will go ahead and wax, which is why I haven't started reassembly yet. (Wade is saving me cash-ola by letting me use his wax...if he ever gets it to me.)

I flattened the plastics last week and they look real sharp. The oven method works, but I had to go with 300 degrees to get the plastics to droop.

I also broke down and ordered a Pascal Pi-1 board! My hope is to be reassembled before it gets here from France. I have a whole box full of possible good untested CPU boards, but my test bench power supply crapped out when I tried to test them. I will eventually test them and sell them on ebay to further recoup the cost of the pi-1. Maybe even turn a good profit if enough test out working.  ;D

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2009, 08:17:48 am »
Playfield is thoroughly waxed up, pop bumper assemblies all shiny, and all metals polished. Now I suppose I have no more excuses to keep me from reassembly.

A note on polishing metal though...it sucks! I tried multiple cleaners/polishes on the stainless stuff. The ball trough parts were very dirty and dull. I started with a basic cleaning, then Bar Keeper's Friend, then Novus. No matter how much Novus I used, the rag still turned instantly black.

On the next piece I used Bleche White initially, then scrubbed, then started the same process. It didn't go much better.

Finally, I went with what I should have used in the first place - Eagle One Wadding metal polish. Rub the hell out of it with a small piece, then rinse/scrub with terry cloth  = smooth, shiny finish. A second pass yielded a more mirror finish. I'm sure if I did 4 passes or so on each piece, I would have been using them as a mirror to shave. Alas, that kind of perfection is a waste of effort on this specific machine.

So use this as a lesson, young Padawan learners: Go straight to the Eagle One Wadding to polish metal pieces.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:31 pm »
A question for the peanut gallery:

The drop targets need to be redone. They originally had an explosion looking graphic. The red 5-bank had silver ink, and the white 3-bank had green paint. I brought a target to work today to scan and make stickers or stencils, then noticed the image was stamped and recessed. Interesting...

Anyways, as a test I filled in the recess with permanent black ink. I'm considering being lazy and just doing black. What would you do:

1. Go ahead and make stickers
2. fill them in black and be done
3. Hunt down fine tipped paint markers that match original

Cyberflexx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 03:40:10 pm
« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »
That thing really does look NICE.. It does look better in person.. You did an AWESOME job on it..    :applaud:

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: March 09, 2009, 03:28:22 pm »
That thing really does look NICE.. It does look better in person.. You did an AWESOME job on it..    :applaud:

Thanks! I have stared for so long at all the flaws, that it is hard for me to appreciate the overall improvements.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
I was just gonna post some notes, but I bet you all are getting sick of seeing my post bumped with out pics. Am I right?

It was a busy weekend with the family, but I did get the drop targets done. The silver paint was a very close match, and went on easy. The metallic green paint went on translucent, and I had to cake it on to make it opaque. This also caused the paint to be darker than I would have liked. I don't recommend using the glittery metallic paints - they are a pain to work with.

The original image created a depression on the plastic, so I had a pretty good built in template on each target. One white target wasn't original, so I used my wife's wax fabric pattern transfer paper to put on a light colored boundary. It worked well.

As you can see, I am about 75% finished. It takes a while when only working 5-10 minutes a day.  ;)

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2009, 04:27:44 pm »
No responses all day? Damn that's depressing...I suppose I'll have to do some actual work while at work then.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:16 pm »
That clear is pretty, I hope to eventually do that on my Time Fantasy..............hmmmm, since you did so well I will just send it to you  :cheers:

It looks like you did a total restore, good job man!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:30 pm »
That clear is pretty, I hope to eventually do that on my Time Fantasy..............hmmmm, since you did so well I will just send it to you  :cheers:

It looks like you did a total restore, good job man!

Eh, if I can do it then anyone can do it. If you wanted to send me a stripped board though, I would totally do it. It would be a super simple job without having to mess with underside parts and having it in the cabinet.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
Reassembly is DONE! I also have the super cool Pi-1 set up like I want it. Unfortunately, I have a switch issue with the 5 bank drop target. I have absolutely no clue what is wrong. All 5 targets pass the switch test. There is a switch on the back of the assembly that I have NO CLUE what it does. Can someone explain this to me? It seems to be set up to stay closed, and there is nothing that opens/closes it. What 'switch' controls the reset coil???

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2009, 08:01:08 am »
I figured this one out finally. The problem was a loose fuse holder. This new cpu board rocks. It gets the wife stamp of approval.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2009, 09:14:18 am »
It's looking good!!  So show us some pics of it all assembled and lit up too. :)

Wade

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:12 am »
Maybe tonight I will get it cleaned up for pics/video. I still have one bonus light that refuses to work. Also plenty of backbox lights to replace, adjust a popbumper, vacuum the playfield, then the glass can go on. I think you all will be impressed with the video, and all of the cool things the Pi-1 can do.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 03:40:10 pm
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2009, 11:32:57 am »
Yeah.. show us your goods..

I'm still working on my BuckRogers.  says I have a switch stuck but cant find it..

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2009, 11:39:16 am »
Yeah.. show us your goods..

I'm still working on my BuckRogers.  says I have a switch stuck but cant find it..

Which stuck switch? It tells you on the displays what it is.

shardian

• Offline Offline
Re: I finally got a pin...RESTORED AND LOVING IT.
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2009, 10:26:52 am »
Video of the 'Wizard mode' Pi-1 modified gameplay. The original light scheme was very boring. Nothing flashed, no attract mode, no flashing events, etc. The displays were also very boring - just showing scores. This game was for all intents and purposes an EM that simply replaced the relay banks and reels with a pc brain, but acted exactly the same.

With a Pi-1, the game behaves more like a CPU controlled game should of that era. Flashing waves of lights all over the place, satisfying light events when you get a skill shot (also new), and the displays do all sorts of scrolling messages.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFkYNfpUHo[/youtube]

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
Re: I finally got a pin...RESTORED AND LOVING IT.
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »
Damn, that turned out well.

Now onto the pics!!!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0