Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel "Holes" Category?  (Read 8369 times)

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
Control Panel "Holes" Category?
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:24:48 pm »
So first post in the WIKI section.  I gotta say, I feel old.. because I really _hate_ WIKIs.  No idea why.  Anywho..

So in this post we once again go into what size bits, what kind of bits, etc.. are needed to mount controls onto the control panel.

So I head over the WIKI like I know the Chef would enjoy.  Under pushbuttons, there is one sentence about needing an 1 1/8 sized hole, but not how to make one and what bits are needed.  Seems like you can use fostner bits or hole saws, and you should use a drill press, but you can probably use a hand drill just fine.  I next head over to the power tools section and don't see any explanation WHY I need any of the aforementioned bits.

So I guess I'm getting down to, where would we have a section that would talk about how to actually create the holes, routing, dimensions, etc.. for wood, metal, brand type of control components.  Seems like something a properly placed table could be useful for.  This table should include trackball and joystick mounting dimensions as well.

I'll gladly start this, but would be great to get input on what we think could be useful information and how it would all link together, etc.  Does this exist someplace in the WIKI all ready?  Probably... which is why I hate wikis.  If not, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

-csa

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
Re: Control Panel "Holes" Category?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:24:53 am »
lol. 559 reads, no opionions... sweeettt.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:54:26 pm »
I've been on a bit of a hiatus and am only catching up now ... yes, I did enjoy, thank you.

I tend to use Forstner bits in wood and have used Bi-Metal hole saw bits in metal (I really should get a punch, but never seem to get to it) and never used a drill press for a CP.

There are many, many folks here who are better versed with custom CP design/construction (which is where I think you are going) than I, so I would tend to defer to them. At least some of what you are talking about was dealt with in Project Arcade, so perhaps that explains the lack of focus on putting together another unified source.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:49:24 am »
Oh yeah, btw.. I'm still trying to rangle up help on this