Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newer MAMEs and INI  (Read 1261 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Newer MAMEs and INI
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »
Alright...so I had a crash and lost my horizontal cabinet HD.  Since I had to start from scratch,  naturally it was time to upgrade from version .106 to .118.  The problem I am facing is that the MAME Resolution Tool uses MAME to create INI files...and it is incompatible with MAME after .106.  Up to .106 it works fine.  After .106 it won't generate the game list.  The game list that .106 creats is about 300+ games shorter than what .118 indicates is available.

How do I create the INI files with MAME Res Tool for versions of MAME after .106?  Is there a new version of the tool somewhere?

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

SGT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
Re: Newer MAMEs and INI
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
Have you seen the note here regarding Mame versions .107 and above?

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/downloads.htm

Here's an excerpt:

Here is my imaginatively titled M.A.M.E. Resolution Tool, for automatic (& manual) selection of resolutions & INI file creation.  Click here to see it in action.  Note the above system files are required for this to run.  Simply download the zip-file and unzip to your chosen location.

PLEASE NOTE! Some people have found this program not to work with recent versions (v0.107+)of MAME...actually it does work but the MAME team stopped updating & supplying xml2info.exe, which is what unabled this application to work with MAME versions since '-listinfo' was replaced by '-listxml'.  However, Krick has kindly developed an updated version of xml2info to work with these MAME versions - you can get it here.

http://mame.3feetunder.com/xml2info/

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:18:27 pm »
So I get the xml2info program...I stick it in my MAME directory...and the MAME Resolution Tool still doesn't work.  No change.

If I try to run the exact command line from the docs I get an error that reads: The system can not execute the specified program.

This is frustrating as all hell.  I just need a damn program with the flexibility to change available resolutions to generate INI files for the hundreds of games between .106 and .118.  Simply put,  I just need MAME Resolution Tool to work! argh!

...and the Ultimarc tool SUCKS...but I may have to make a separate set of INIs with it,  then a separate set with MAME Resolution tool and combine them.  Then i'd only have to deal  with the newer games being screwed up resolution wise (but at least they'd be there to modify manually I suppose).

---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- this is frustrating.  No wonder I moved on to actual arcade boards and/or multigame boards...it's this kind of crap that gets me worked up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:26:24 pm by FrizzleFried »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:54 pm »
Alright...I am about to pull my freakin' hair out. 

The Res Tool works GREAT for .106.

I drop in .118 + XML2INFO and it does the same thing it did with .118 only... nothing.  It won't generate a list of games.  What in heck are all you people doing to get the INI files for games after .106?!

SGT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:15:20 pm »
I don't pretend to know anything about this as I don't use it, but is there any chance you are using the old mame.xml from the old version.  If so, do you think you need to regenerate the mame.xml file using Mame .118?

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:21:20 pm by SGT »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:08 pm »
I don't pretend to know anything about this as I don't use it, but is there any chance you are using the old mame.xml from the old version.  If so, do you think you need to regenerate the mame.xml file using Mame .118?

That was a good idea...  :applaud:

...but it didn't work.   :banghead:

What I did was generate a .106 list using the MAME Resolution Tool that contained 6140 roms...saved the INI's...

I then made a separate .118 mame folder and used the AVGA Resolution Utility to create a list that contained some 6900 roms and created the inis.  I then copied the 6140 inis to the .118 ini folder overwriting the 6140.   So,  I now have about 750 roms with the likelyhood the resolution the AVGA utility chose sucks.  We shall see...

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:29:34 am »
Is the AVGA utility you are talking about, avres?

Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:12 am
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:10:32 am »
Did you remember to run run the system files in system.zip before running mamerestool?

Also, once mamerestool starts you will need to tell it the locations of your mame executable, ini files and a text file with the available modes in it (eg avga9200.txt).
Check out my completed projects!