Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame runs glitchy and slow... what could be the problem?  (Read 2263 times)

Doom bucket

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 11:50:26 pm
Mame runs glitchy and slow... what could be the problem?
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:49:28 pm »
My computer is fairly fast with a pentium 4 and a 6800 Nvidia graphics card, and a gig of ram. But Mame seems to struggle to play roms...

I like to play recent fighter/shmup games, not 3d games mame games since I know that I'd have to have an even better computer to run those well, but it's frustrating that nearly every game I throw at it has glitchy sound, slowdown and bad framerate. Very frustrating.   What could be the problem?

The Chugnut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 am
Re: Mame runs glitchy and slow... what could be the problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:27:30 pm »
Hi mate,

I went to my mate's house the other night and tried to introduce him to MAME - we had a similar problem. It was playing like there was another program running in the background.

We were using MAME 0.118, and ruled out everything from anti-virus programs to overheating. We ran a couple of demanding games like Half Life 2 with not a stutter in sight. We were pulling our hair out at this point.

We then updated his graphics card drivers (ATI) and sound card (Creative Labs), rebooted, and it worked a charm.

So yeah, if you're running a new(ish) version of MAME, try updating your drivers.

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:15:13 pm »
MAME is not meant to be lean and optimized.** Windows is not meant to be lean and optimized. Put the two "newest versions" together and you can expect slow performance.

Want to speed up your MAME? Download some older versions and romsets*. Start with version 60 - all games will run at full speed. "upgrade" by 10 versions until you hit the sweet spot between "new" and "fast"

Also try a leaner version of Windows. Google up TinyXP "Beast" or read the latter half the "Nlite" thread that is sticked in this forum.

Cheers,
Craig

Google these words:
[romsite name redacted] mame

also:
Utorrent

Want to take it a step further? Download some optimized video card drivers. Google up Dhzer0point

Ask the MAME dev's what their mission is - it is not to get 90 FPS on every game.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:46:24 am by PL1 »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:33 am »
You should make sure that you have triplebuffer unchecked by default in mame32.  Some games have improved video performance with this, but it causes glitchy / stuttering problems in other games (especially earlier games, up to late 80's).  In your ini file, it would look like this:

triplebuffer 0

Other options to uncheck by default are "sleep if possible", "sync to monitor refresh" and "wait for vertical sync". Also, make sure that you get the "multithreaded" option right.  Some p4's support multithreaded rendering, some don't.
Check out my completed projects!

Doom bucket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 11:50:26 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 12:54:53 am »
Ah... I had updated mame for the whole CPS-3 emulation thing, that might be the root cause... didn't even think about that, really.

I'll try out all the triple-buffer stuff first, see if that helps.