Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neil's Donkey Kong Restoration **FINISHED!! 12-28-07**  (Read 114145 times)

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
Re: Neil's Donkey Kong Restoration
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2007, 11:52:19 am »
Nice job Bro. Almost there. How's the restoration itch coming along now that you are almost done with this thing? Or do you feel a respite coming on before moving to the next project?
 :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 11:56:31 am by WunderCade »

mcfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 01:55:04 pm
  • Asteroids moving along...
    • Hobby Blog
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2007, 07:20:23 pm »
Looks great man.  If I had the room I think this would be my next project. :)

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2007, 08:35:22 pm »
Looks great!!!   :cheers:

For the inside pics, I am interested in how the monitor is held in place top and bottom.

I should be getting all the main parts monday (wiring harness, PCB, etc) so when you get the wiring pics, that would be great...  Quick question...  Aside from the service button, coin door and Control Panel are the only other connectors that get connected through the wide edge (JAMMA-like) connector on the PCB?
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2007, 08:41:03 am »
as far as I know you wont be using the edge connector if you were able to locate an original wire harness. both the edge connector and the smaller black connections (P9, P10, P4..etc.) they are all bridged with one another. I think the edge connector was there for a larger test point or for possible add-ons at a later time or something haha (but you can use an edge connector like markrvp did on his resotre if you do not have the original wire harness). But anyway if you have the original wire harness then you will not be using the edge connector in your restore.

Your pics are on the way. I left my dang CF card at my parents house yesterday (since we went there for a cookout) and need to get that before I can take pics of my wiring.

Neil

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2007, 11:00:45 am »
as far as I know you wont be using the edge connector if you were able to locate an original wire harness. both the edge connector and the smaller black connections (P9, P10, P4..etc.) they are all bridged with one another. I think the edge connector was there for a larger test point or for possible add-ons at a later time or something haha (but you can use an edge connector like markrvp did on his resotre if you do not have the original wire harness). But anyway if you have the original wire harness then you will not be using the edge connector in your restore.

Thanks... The cab right now seems to be a hybrid...  :)  I have a new wiring harness coming that should allow me to connect everything properly.
My projects...

In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2007, 01:09:04 pm »
that's cool I'm actually very interested in seeing what your harness looks like when you get it. some guy offered to make me a harness for 25 bucks but i was somewhat skeptical.

Neil

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2007, 01:20:28 pm »
that's cool I'm actually very interested in seeing what your harness looks like when you get it. some guy offered to make me a harness for 25 bucks but i was somewhat skeptical.

Will do.  The one in the cab now is a hybrid DK/JAMMA.  :)
My projects...

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2007, 10:07:41 pm »
here is the wiring im not real sure if this is what you were wanting to see or not.. let me know ill be happy to take more pics

Neil

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2007, 11:46:40 pm »
That's a great start...   Thanks!

Think of it this way.  I have  a control panel, a pcb, a powersupply, a speaker, a monitor and a wiring harness (with lots of freaking wire).  I have no idea how to put it all together...   :laugh2:

Do all the black connectors on the PCB need to be populated? 

I also have an edge connector on the cab that fits on the DK board.
My projects...

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2007, 01:16:11 am »
[Edit]
Neilyboy,

I don't want to hijack your thread and will move this discussion to my DK Jr thread if you like.  I am new to these boards and don't want to upset anyone or break any rules...  If what I am doing is wrong, please someone tell me...

Barry
[/Edit]

Okay... Figured some of it out...  A few questions...

Could not figure out why the board was not powering up until I realized that the Powersupply (original) was re-directed to the Switching PS (JAMMA).  I did not see the connector on the back of the PS.

Now I only have 2 ribbon cables going from the PS to the board...  P9 & P10.  I am assuming that I need P7 (SOU) too?  (Problem is that I dont have one)...

When I power up the board, I see DKJr (and DK on that board) play, but there is no sound and the video is inverted (wondering if they installed something on the monitor to invert it for JAMMA).  BTW, what is the original monitor that came with these cabs?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:18:54 am by shilmover »
My projects...

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2007, 07:23:18 am »
the original monitor is a sanyoEZ20 (and i believe there was one other later on) but yes the original monitor was ready to accept inverted video. If you are using a newer monitor you will need to get either an inverter board or possibly a dk jammer converter that inverts as well (which may be what you have, but you are trying to use the original monitor with regular video because of the jamma connector). Sounds to me like you are doing wiring similar to that of what markrvp did with his restore.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=51522.0

that thread may be of some help to you. As for the P7 cable I do not have that hoked up either.

I guess maybe give us some pics of what you are working with so we can help you out there. Also if you download the pdf of the manual it is really helpful in hooking up the wires. that was how I found my problem when hooking everything up.

keep us posted.

/meanwhile to keep my stuff up to date.. well I have contacted my painter again by txt message last night (since he never answers his calls). I left him two messages. If I do not hear back from him by this Saturday I may run down around his place and see if I can even get my parts back. Its been 6 weeks (he told me it would take 2 at most). I realize stuff comes up but come on to not keep me posted on how things are going when you have had them for a month over what you told me originally. Anyway thats just me venting I guess. On another note I got a guy wanting to sell me 4 cabs for 100 bucks.. only problem is he is about 4+ hours away (one way) but I have a friend willing to make the trip with me this weekend so we will see.

Neil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:32:27 am by Neilyboy »

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2007, 09:56:44 am »
Thanks for your help.  My cab does not have a JAMMA adapter as I have seen them in the past (see picture below):

The board on the left connects to the original DK stuff, the board on the right to the new control panel. 

It appears to be the original monitor (i can even see some faint DKJr burn in).  I will continue to fiddle with it.

Good luck on the other 4 cabs!  Any idea what they are?
My projects...

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2007, 10:48:07 am »
Workedo on it a bit this morning and I have sound from my DK Jr board, but not from the DK board (sound must be bad   :'().

Here are a couple of pictures of the video (one with flash, the other without)...  I am assuming that it needs a cap kit in a bad way?
My projects...

hatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2007, 12:11:48 pm »
Thanks for the pics of the power cord arrangement Neil. Those will help a lot as i go to wire mine up.   :cheers:

Your restore thread has litterally become "THE MANUAL" for my restore.  Thanks for posting all of the details.  :applaud:

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »
no problem guys. as for the 4 cabs for 100 bucks.. its a no go haha the guy is 225 miles away from me and he wont send me pictures of the cabs condition (says they are in a shed and he is unable to get to them and that they were wrapped in a tarp but the tarp has holes in it and he knows the cabs are water damaged...) not worth it to me.. anyway shilmover i think your harness is for a vs cab or some other nintendo cab. not saying it wont work its just not how the original dk pcb / wiring was, I dont believe. thanks for all the comments again guys you made it all worth it. I am just waiting on my painter to get me my parts and I can DK away.. im so excited.

Neil

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2007, 01:22:46 pm »
anyway shilmover i think your harness is for a vs cab or some other nintendo cab. not saying it wont work its just not how the original dk pcb / wiring was, I dont believe.

Good call.

It was converted to a VS Cab.

B
My projects...

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2007, 03:58:36 pm »
I am sure there is a way to convert what you have there into a DK harness but if I'm thinking correctly there was something to do with the vs. harness not having the ability to do an up and down or a left and right something like that so you had to hack the harness to allow for this.

Nintendo Classic Wiring Harness
As I got into the renovation, I also discovered that, although the Super Mario Bros. cabinet is identical to the cabinets that house earlier Nintendo games, the wiring harness is different. That left me with a bit of a problem--even though I had a nice, working board, I couldn't connect it to the machine!

My initial solution to this problem was going to be to construct an adaptor to change a Nintendo VS. harness into a Nintendo classic harness. A fellow collector who had done a similar conversion/restoration sent me detailed plans that showed how to build such an adaptor. I bought the parts from Bob Roberts and I was all ready to have a friend help me build the thing when I came across a Mario Bros. factory conversion kit on eBay. The kit included a marquee, bezel, control panel, PCB and cage (the metal enclosure that houses the boards), horizontal monitor brackets, a template for drilling holes for the brackets, a metal Mario Bros. plate (serial number, etc) for the back, and a conversion kit manual--but, most importantly, it included the wiring harness!

Obviously, I didn't need most of these pieces. I kept the harness (of course) and swapped the control panel with the one I had since the new one had a better overlay. I sold (or am selling) most of these pieces to recoup my costs. A lot of trouble to get a harness, but what the heck...

taken from the middle of the page here http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/mario/renovation/mariorenovation.html

I know bobroberts sells something that may help ya out. Otherwise I would go the same router markrvp did with his restore and get the jamma adapter http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=NIN2JAMMA

I think they make one that doesnt invert the video so you are able to use an original nintendo monitor as well..

since I'm replying I figured I would post the image I emailed to my painter this morning.

we will see what I get for a response.

Take care,
Neil

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2007, 04:00:52 pm »
Pretty :cheers:
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2007, 05:10:13 pm »
I didn't read the whole thread, but did you ever get the picture centered on your monitor? If not, there is a jumper on those Nintendo Sanyo monitors for doing that. You move the jumper to a different position which shifts it an arbitrary amount, and then you fine-tune it with the VR403 pot. Some of them are missing the jumper and you may have to make your own.

Ken Layton explained this to me a while ago in this thread.

Assuming that is the direction you are trying to center it in of course.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:13:01 pm by MaximRecoil »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:20 pm »
thanks recoil! I got my issue that I was having fixed but I do appreciate any and all DK related info that could help others with there restore posted here! Never hurt to collect a bunch of information in on place. Thanks again maximumrecoil!

Neil

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2007, 12:47:25 pm »
Neil,
Two things:
1. Thanks for the joystick, I just need the 4-way restrictor.
2. You've inspired me to build a DK inspired bartop.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:33 am »
Glad to hear it JimmyU! Make sure to start a project log and keep it up to date with lots of pictures!!

As for my project. Well I have not heard from my painter. He told me on the phone last week that he would have them done 'THIS WEEKEND FOR SURE' I tried to get ahold of him on Friday (he didnt answer) and he has not contacted me all weekend. Looks like he still didnt get them done. Its kind of getting to me now. I just want them here so I can finish assembly and play!!

Well, Ill let ya all know when I hear from him.
Neil

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2007, 02:44:41 pm »
Neilyboy...

Where did you go?!?   :)

Hopefully everything is okay.  Best case, life got in the way of the project (like it has with me). Worse case, you went after the guy painting your stuff and you are currently locked up with no access to this group (lets hope not   :P).
My projects...

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2007, 07:26:24 pm »
There's nothing worse than being in a holding pattern on your project waiting for some piece to come in. Hope you get those pieces back soon Neil! Can't wait to see you push the final piece into this jigsaw puzzle.

I'm waiting on a CPO from mamemarquees. Not being able to wire up my CP because of slow shipping really sucks  :badmood:

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2007, 08:46:01 am »
WOOHOOO!!! finally I got the call the other night that the parts are done. Long story short my painter let this gal move into his place. They got along great for the first month or so. Then everything went down-hill for him. He found out she was psycho.. I mean psycho.. cutting herself with knives.. breaking windows out in the house.. so he has been working to get her out of his place. I was getting worried when his cell phone got shut off and I hadnt heard from him in like 8 weeks. He called the other night and we talked for about two hours. I told him I would pick up the parts the next day. I ran down by his place and  brought them home. I took a bunch of pics but havent had time (with work, wife and holiday stuff) to put anything together yet.. but the pieces are in and ready to be installed. They look great.. Ill post more pics later.

thanks for keepin up on me guys..

Neil
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:47:42 am by Neilyboy »

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
Re: Neil's Donkey Kong Restoration **Painted Parts Are In!!**
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:33 am »
 :woot :woot :woot :woot

shilmover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2007, 10:11:23 am »
Welcome back, my friend... welcome back.
My projects...

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2007, 12:20:44 pm »
I am at work right now but remotely logged into my machine and found that I had some photos on my card which must be in the reader now.

lighting must have been different at this angle or something but hehe..

Now to get them installed and find a 12v lead or transformer to get my light to work..

Neil
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:22:49 pm by Neilyboy »

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:20 pm »
The anticipation builds.

:cheers:
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2007, 05:09:29 pm »
looking much better than they did when I first sent them off.

Neil
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:13:21 pm by Neilyboy »

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2007, 02:03:46 am »
This is very cool Neil. Glad you are finally pulling this together as...guess what?

I just brought home a Donkey Kong and a DK Jr., both are working but are in need of restoration...Neil-style. Thanks for inspiring us here, and keep up the good work buddy.

BTW: Tell dad we appreciate his help too.... :woot
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:15:16 am by WunderCade »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:50 am »
hell yes!!! glad to hear it WunderCade!! the nintendo cabs are awesome! I would love to find a Jr. and III.
I have a birthday party to get to today but I got to get this thing together so im hoping I can get it done later this afternoon.

Neil

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2007, 07:32:47 pm »
Almost there. can't wait. make sure you post lots of pictures! (duh!) I also am putting my cab together this afternoon. I'm actually poosting in the theatre right now. Golden Compass starting in 2 minutes

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2007, 12:51:58 pm »
Man....you're killin us Neil... ;)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2007, 11:23:56 am »
He finally gets the parts.....then leaves us in agony.......

Stooooooooopp Plaaayyyyyyiiiiiiiiiinngggg Doooooooonnkkeeeeeeeeyyyyy Kooooooooooooooooonggggg !!!

(and post some pics :D :D :D)

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:44 pm »
Golden Compass sucked, I'm waiting for Neilyboy's pics!!! :pics 

I'm bidding on a DK cab that was converted to Rastan and need some motivation  ;D

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2007, 01:49:30 pm »
Very nice work so far!!!
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2007, 05:23:22 pm »
its commin' its commin' haha. I just need a day off work and for my wife to be gone for a day.. I think this friday ill get that day. She has to work till noon and im off all day so I think I will get up early and finish this bad boy up.

Neil

DonkeyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2016, 11:59:50 pm
  • How High Can You Get? Currently I'm at 145,200
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2007, 01:56:39 am »
Just got done reading the whole thread from start to finish... WOW!  what a let down.

Just kidding!!!  But seriously you gotta get that puppy finished off.  Send your wife on a girl's night out or something... explaining that she's been working hard throughout this holiday season and she deserves a break from all the craziness.

Neil, the work done to this cabinet is nothing short of stellar.  I have been wanting to do the same thing for some time now, but I never imagined I would go that far with it...  but the truth is it's just a lot of work.  Sure you know a lot of helpful people, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to do as sweet of a restore.  I'm definitely inspired to push the limits on my restore and hopefully more people will feel the same way after reading your thread.

I just got a Donkey Kong 3 machine (in a Donkey Kong jr. cabinet) that I'll be converting to a restored DK machine.

Thanks for all the info you've dug up along the way - it will be very helpful to anyone restoring a DK machine.  I can't believe the stuff about the instruction card not being exact.  You'd think after all this time someone else would have noticed and tried to come up with something better.  Paint codes are awexome too since I have every hardware store you could think of within 5 miles of me (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware, I'm sure there's more).

I'll see if I can get my Dad to help me out as well, in exchange for helping him restore his Austin Healey.

Merry Christmas to us lucky arcade machine owners  :cheers:
Everybody, even Grandma, games. Meaning, checkers, cards, if not now, in the past.  Show me even a frickin' nun or hermit who hasn't done cards or checkers. -Mark Alpiger

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2007, 01:54:45 pm »
Didnt he say by friday or something?  I hope this gets done before the weekend though.