Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neil's Donkey Kong Restoration **FINISHED!! 12-28-07**  (Read 114167 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Re: Neil's Donkey Kong Restoration
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2007, 12:41:14 pm »
Very nice indeed... I had two restores on my radar.... Defender and DK... I've since hocked my DK internals to finish Defender but I'm sure I will get to the DK someday ::) ... Your resto is very nice and well organized... helps storyboard the process for me....

When I get to it... hope it turns out half as good as yours!
Happy Gaming!

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 05:20:36 pm »
Well it was my week of working 4/10's so I had the day off. My father took it off as well (I think because the side-art came in yesterday and he got just as excited as I did).  So we first installed the instruction card that I re-created (since I was not thrilled with the repro that I purchased). Looks pretty good. Just printed it out on semi-gloss paper on a color laserjet at work (nothing too fancy).

Here is the stack of trial prints along with my backdoor instruction sheet which I printed (needs a bit of trimming in the picture).

Last time you will see this cabinet without side art so take one last look.

Anthony from QuarterArcade told me to drop the sideart 2 and 3/4" from the top and center it. So we did some measurements and marked it with some (not so sticky) masking tape.

We then starting at the top pressed it on somewhat firmly then ran the tape measure across it again to make sure it was perfectly straight all the way across.

Then (letting my fater do this cause I was afraid I would ruin it) we used the burninshing tool (which we scored from 'signs now'-a vinyl sign company locally) to smooth out any bubbles (which there were not many if any of). Working our way down the artwork till the bottom.

Then I think we stood back a second looked it over and gave it a final 'firm' rub down.

Here it was in place before we removed the protective layer.

Then installed the other side just the same as the first.

Then I slowly and carefully picked at the edge till the top protective film started to come off.

And then continued to peel it off.

I couldnt tell ya how much fun it was to see that graphic as it was exposed little by little.

Then it was time to CUT THE BRAND NEW SIDE ART. Well to install the monitor support bar of course.

I felt soo terrible cutting into brand new fresh artwork.

So now it was time to re-create the 'paper' monitor bezel which is used as a blackout inside the cab to keep it pretty dark around the monitor. The old existing monitor paper was just trashed faded spilled on pee'd on who knows.. So we purchased a large sheet of some sort of art board from our local hobby shop. Cut it out to the exact size of the existing monitor surround.

The old man has a much steadier hand than mine.

And then a test fit.

It fits perfect!! So we then re-created the other two blackout pieces that were all destroyed when I got the cabinet.

Dad thought it was time for him to get a 'headshot' in the picture haha..

Then we trimmed up the instruction card for the back and held it in place.

And now its time for DK to pose a bit while it waits on its coin door and retainers that are being painted this week actually. I should have this thing wrapped up next weekend (fingers crossed). For now I just used some masking tape to hold things in place haha. I was too excited and had to see what this thing looked like.

Thanks again to my dad for helping me out with this!! I couldnt have done it without him. It has turned out great so far just a few more things to go and it will be a complete project and an 'Alpha Mission' project announcement thread will be created ;))

Enjoy the weekend,

Neil

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 05:32:15 pm »
 :cheers: :applaud: :notworthy: :cheers: :applaud: :notworthy:

Better than new ! Fantastic work and great pictures !!

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 08:57:02 pm »
Looks great.  And I see you switched the ball top to black. :laugh:

Nostalgia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2010, 06:07:52 pm
  • KLOV Name- descrentl
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2007, 09:59:54 pm »
Looks great Neil. Comming together nicely. One question though. Why did you leave the security bar holes there. You putting that bar back on?

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2007, 09:01:50 am »
Level42  :cheers: thank ya thank ya...  :)

JimmyU I dont think I ever had any other ball-top ;) may have been Nostalgia with the white ball.

Nostalgia, in all honesty when we were doing the body work on this thing. I honestly just figured that those holes were just some other holes that Nintendo put there (kind of like the additional holes in the side for the available monitor rotation/conversion). I then figured eh' I have extra carriage bolts that were still in the original monitor holes (The carriage bolts that are all smooth on the head) which I filled. So I said what the heck its kind of unique looking in the front and kept them. In the end should I have filled them yes.. Do I wish I had filled them? I don't know it actually gives it a bit of character and maybe keeps just a bit of that "hey look, I'm old retired and probably overworked. Here are a few of my battle wounds". I did pick this cabinet up from a guy down near St. Louis MO (St. Peters actually). The original coin door was all bent to hell and looked like it had been vandalized (crowbarred open a few times). Thats the reason I had to get another one since the original would not even close it was so warped. So I dunno I do not plan on putting any security bar there (unless the neighbor kids get out of hand ;)). Its probably the one thing that I could have done but did not. But I like it all the same hehe.. At least the guy who installed the security bar put it on there straight hahaha..

Take care all and thanks so much for the kind replys!!

Neil

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2007, 09:33:35 am »
My Galaxian has a couple of those holes for a security bar as well:

I never understood what those bolts were for there....until RobinHolland (is he still alive ??) visited me and explained it while we were talking about it. Couldn't believe I hadn't thought about it, I knew about security bars !

Never thought about removing them or anything, especialy since that would require replacing the front artwork......although......if Richard would print this on exactly the right vinyl.......you know that bottom end is annoying me more and more. This is because the rest of the cab looks so darn good.... But I can't think about how to restore it. Repairing the wood would require taking away chunks of the original vinyl. Just painting it coud be done, but I doubt a color matched paint would still look SO exactly that you wouldn't notice the difference.

I've been thinking about putting a Midway kickplate molding on there, like one of these:

However, that wouldn't be keeping it original....

Anyway, no intention of hi-jacking your thread Neil, just wondering off in my mind :D

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
No thats awesome man. Your always welcome in my threads hahaha.. I dunno man I would almost be up for spending a whole day masking out the artwork on the lower portion there. Then finding someone with a very nice even paint gun to come over color match that blue and give it a few very light 'sprits' of blue.. I dunno test paint on some junk board first to see if you are satisfied with the results. I think you would be in the end. It would be much nicer to keep the artwork exposed rather than 'sweeping the dirt under the rug' type of fixing hehe.. No matter what thats still a damn sexy galaxian!!! You lucky arse!! haha

Take care Level.

Neil

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2007, 12:43:52 am »
Whoa!!! How'd I miss this thread?

What a great job bro.  :cheers: And your dad too, he gets props.  :cheers:

You know, you are getting a lot of people here whipped back up into their "limbo" restorations with this project....that's to your credit man.

I have a hunch Niel, that this will be properly stickied when you're done - as it should be.

I do have a burning question for you though......

Why would you ignore that beautiful (an popular) Pink and Yellow lady that seems to linger in the background of most of your pics, shouldn't she take precedence over 'Alpha Mission'?
 ;D

(I'll bet your still pondering whether to paint her or sticker her. Hmmm, yes...the dilemma.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:46:44 am by WunderCade »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2007, 10:55:22 am »
Thank you so much for the reply WunderCade!! As for getting people back to restoring, I sure hope so! As I love seeing restoration threads! And as for Ms. Pac in the back. Well, I started with her actually. I stripped all her metal parts and had them re-painted (See my midway coin door restore post- http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=69930.0). I purchased a NOS cp overlay applied it to the freshly repainted cp. Everything looked soo darn good when I got the parts back I knew it wouldn't look right putting them back on a cabinet that was not totally restored. So now they sit on my spare bed in the house waiting for Ms. Pac to clean herself up a bit (which I do plan on getting to sometime soon here. Not enough hours in the day). I like the alpha mission cab alot since I can pretty much take it wherever I want since it was just a conversion kit. I want to see what comes out of it. Then maybe I will get some time to knock the dirt off of ol' Ms. Pac. And as for paint or stickers... Come on, the only way to go is paint :D

So we will see. Ill keep ya updated as time goes on.

Thanks so much for all the positive responces they really do keep ya going when restoring an old busted up cab.

Neil

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »
WOW!!!  Seeing this makes me want to skip over my next project and start on the Donkey Kong right away.  I can't believe how awesome this thing looks - you and your father have done an amazing job!

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2007, 02:33:16 pm »
Nice work  :cheers:

Lol i like how you tape the marquee and bezel in place.  Are you going to put the monitor in soon cause id like to see how it looks through the bezel?  And did you get that gunk off the bottom edge?
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2007, 02:51:07 pm »
This thread is worth a sticky IMHO.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2007, 04:36:36 pm »
Nice job, I'm right about where you are in my restoration. I just put my side art on this past weekend, replaced the control panel (and buttons), and just need to replace the t-molding. After that, it'll look brand spanking new.

My joystick is a little sloppy, so I might replace it. I'm not 100% sure yet...
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2007, 04:37:40 pm »
Thanks guys!! I love the compliments. If anything your galaxian is worth a sticky, Level that cab is beautiful!! Sith- yeah I havent really done any hard scrubbing on it but I was able to get all the black stuff off the bottom with warm soapy water. There is still a 'glue like' substance above the printing on the bottom but im thinking about trying a 'magic eraser' on it very lightly to see if it can remove it. Or I may do a test spot in the corner and rub some goof off on it to see if it will get rid of that glue. If not it doesnt bother me too much. As you really dont see it since its below the lower bezel mount. I should be getting the monitor put in it fairly soon here. I still have to put the cab up on some horses and pull the bottom base off of it. I dont know if anyone noticed in any of the pics but the base board in the front is totally missing. The others are not in all that great of shape so they are all going to be replaced. Along with replacing the bottom I will be replacing the caster wheels that it rides on since they are pretty ate up. So more updates soon

JeffAMN- go with the sanwa for sure. I dont know if you have used one yet but oh my I love the feel of this thing.

Neil

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2007, 06:03:44 pm »
Yeah, I might toss a Sanwa in there.

For your sticky stuff, nothing works as well as Goo Gone and a magic eraser. I would use the magic eraser after the Goo Gone to clean up anything that might be hanging on. I had to do the same on my cabinet Saturday night.

Oh, and here's how my side art turned out:

http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2007, 08:47:40 am »
Very nice looking Jeff AMN!! Ill have to get some of that goo gone.. I think I have goof off which will deff eat through the artwork on the bezel im afraid. I have a couple magic erasers laying around (the most amazing thing I have ever used haha). So maybe tomorrow ill get around to removing the rest of the gunk at the bottom (Have to pick the wife up from the airport tonight).

Neil

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2007, 09:11:32 am »
If you use Goo Gone, do so sparingly and make sure you wipe up any extra.  My father lost a big decal on his boat trying to clean up some extra glue.

Great progress.  I can't wait to see a screen shot.

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2007, 01:17:56 pm »
Neil,

I must say that this thread is awesome.  Your (and your father's) work is exemplary and you guys deserve credit on this restore.  It's definitely fun to read the thread and see something done with so much detail.

I hope you enjoy the cabinet and I'm stoked to see you have others in the background as well!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:03:35 pm by AllCammedUp »
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2007, 02:33:03 pm »
Coder- Thanks for the heads up. I will do a test patch on the lower right corner first to see what gets rid of it best. Im anxious for the screen shot as well. I cant wait to get his bad boy wired up and playing.

AllCammedUp - Thank you so much for the kind words. I am just glad my father likes restoring these things as much as I do haha. I think what he has been hinting at for the past couple weeks is that he has an old wurlitzer (sp?) jukebox in his basement that he has been wanting to restore. So im guessing he is going to want my help with it. The other cabs in the background will all be fully restored. Asides from the gutted battletoads cab which will end up being my MAME© machine here in the future.

Thanks agian all.

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2007, 07:31:17 am »
well the sound cable came in today. I plugged it up and fired up the machine... All i get is like a loud squak when I first turn it on then some really light repeating sound in the background. Does anyone that has a DK board know is there supposed to be any music durring attract mode or is there only sounds once a coin is inserted? I dont have the coin door wire harness since the one I got was cut so im not able to coin up unless i short the coin pins on the pcb i guess. I just wanted to know if there is or is not sound until a coin is put in. Cause right now I have nothing :(

Neil

Nostalgia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2010, 06:07:52 pm
  • KLOV Name- descrentl
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2007, 03:58:14 pm »
I have no sound until I coin up. Atleast I think so. Try adjusting the sound pot. I have a very light noise when I boot up, and it also makes a "walking noise" once as soon as I turn the machine on. Hope this helps.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2007, 04:45:55 pm »
well the sound cable came in today. I plugged it up and fired up the machine... All i get is like a loud squak when I first turn it on then some really light repeating sound in the background. Does anyone that has a DK board know is there supposed to be any music durring attract mode or is there only sounds once a coin is inserted? I dont have the coin door wire harness since the one I got was cut so im not able to coin up unless i short the coin pins on the pcb i guess. I just wanted to know if there is or is not sound until a coin is put in. Cause right now I have nothing :(

Neil

The one i sent wasnt cut was it?  You could improvise your own harness by getting wire from the pcb to the coin switches i think.

Thats weird though i would think the game would play sounds before a coin insert to attract people over with the noises.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2007, 04:48:59 pm »
So when does the background music start up? once you coin up and hit one or two player button?

sith yeah the harness you sent me is cut (on the end that I need pcb end I dont have the little black end 'P3' which connects to the COIN on the pcb).The wires are there that attach to the coin mechs but it was completely cut off on the side of the wire i need..

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2007, 07:52:40 pm »
woohoo its working 100% I brought it in the house tonight (the internals-pcb, psu, monitor, control panel) its all working!!! I cannot wait to get the base of the cabinet all fixed up and bring this bad boy inside!! I would post a video but I just filmed a wedding last weekend and I think I left my video camera at my parents house as I cannot find it anywhere in my house now. Oh well.. Just picture me with a huge smile on my face right now!!

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:25 pm »
here we go.. wife on the left and my sister on the right, who came over to give my wife a haircut... as you can see she does really well with games.. she is the type of gamer to break a few controlers by the end of the night.. i hope the sanwa stick can put up with her abuse hahaha..

Neil

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:45 pm »
Wait is she pissed cause she couldnt beat the first level or given the finger cause she owned dk?

Your shorting the credits right?  Sorry about the wires i didnt really check when i first got it (spent most of its life inside a box).

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2007, 10:47:30 pm »
haha she is mad cause it took her about 10 credits to beat the first level. I should have been charging her quarters hahaha. I could have made a few bucks back by the end of the night hahahah. Yeah im shorting the credits with a flat head screwdriver as of now. Its cool man. The door was in good shape thats all I was worried about. I should have the door back by saturday evening (late have to drive north awhile to get it). So I will figure something out about the credits. Im thinking I may find some tin or something easily bendable yet conductive then bend two tiny square female ends out of it. Then I may try to rig it up to the coin door to see if it works.. I dunno another day another project. I just am stoked that I was able to play it for my first time tonight.. When I heard it coin up after shorting it the first time I was like oh heck yes.. then had to figure out the wiring on the cp since I just guessed and I had up as right and down a left and everything was out of wack so I had to re-wire it until I got it right. I was soo happy. Now it makes me want to get the bottom restored that much quicker so I am able to move the whole cab here into the house soon and play it the way it was meant to be played..

Thanks again for all the comments so far. They are what kept me going.. well that and my father asking what we were doing next hehehe..

more updates and pics and maybe some video soon..
take care all.

Neil

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2007, 02:17:01 am »
 :cheers: :applaud:

Great test set-up :)

Hope you are a better player than your sis :)

Hope she handles the scissors a bit more respectful than the joystick...

BTW, was that before  or after the hear-cut  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

(DON"T let your wife read that, she'll kill me)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2007, 04:17:49 am »
If I had that DK cab, I would have ordered this already:
http://www.jeffsromhack.com/products/d2k.htm

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2007, 07:21:02 am »
haha that thing is awesome.. I dont want to modify the game however I do wish I had the high-score save. Im to chicken to install it haha

Neil

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:50 am »
Huh ?
It's only carefully removing the Z80, putting that into the extra PCB, and put the PCB where the Z80 was.

It's very easy !!

http://www.arcadeshop.com/konghs/konghighscorekit.htm
and
http://www.arcadeshop.com/konghs_f/konghighscorekitinstallation.htm

Doesn't require any soldering or hacking...
(Unless you have a soldered Z80)

I'm not sure if the D2K have been released though,however since the screens are shown I guess it will be available for this upgrade kit....

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2007, 07:45:05 am »
Oops, looks like that kit only supports that one extra level called foundry.

However, I think the only real thing you would need to change to be able to play D2K is the ROMs.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2007, 11:28:33 am »
Sorry to back things up a bit, but how did you mount your Sanwa joystick to your control panel? Did you modify anything, or did you use an adapter?

I've decided that I need to replace my joystick. It's still mostly functional, but I had a death last night that was the joystick's fault, not mine and I was working on a personal best. I don't want that to happen again.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
I made my cp from scratch but honestly the sanwa mounting bracket matches up exactly (hole wise) to where the original mounting holes go. I just put in T-Nuts on the top and screwed a 3/4" bolt through it to secure it. It works beautifully and I give two thumbs up on the sanwa stick. Its soo smooth.

Neil

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2007, 11:53:39 am »
Awesome, I'll give it a try.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »
Anyone know what size of locks are required for an original dk and where I can locate them at? I will need to replace the lock on the coin door and lock on the back (neither of which do I have) so I need to know the sizes..

Neil

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2007, 12:46:35 pm »
If you need cheap wire check out a dollar store for cat5 or something that could work.

I could have made a few bucks back by the end of the night hahahah.
But then they complain that they are family or how your awesome and wouldnt do that.  Then you could always say someone has to pay for the electricity so it might work.

like oh heck yes.. then had to figure out the wiring on the cp since I just guessed and I had up as right and down a left and everything was out of wack so I had to re-wire it until I got it right

I know the feeling.  Only for me its goes Heck yes its working --> wait why isnt the thing that was working not working --> now they both arent working --> omg they are working again.  It would be great to see her try playing with everything inverted.

Cant wait to see it all done.  :cheers:

edit- i just checked the bst thread that had them but richard doesnt have anymore.  here is a link with some info http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=47098.0 but basically the coin door is 7/8" and the back is 5/8"

edit-ebaylink
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:49:57 pm by SithMaster »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2007, 01:12:08 pm »
awesome thanks for the info and the links sith.. now to find some 7/8" ACE key locks for the coindoor

Neil

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2007, 01:17:22 pm »
wait you want the keys to be the ace kind? (those are the tube ones right)?

If you have a locksmith near you they might have them or know who would otherwise a local hardware store (not lowes or home depot) might stock them.